Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to track micronutrients in app

ANSWERED

I have been using the food tracking feature of my Fitbit to track calories and macronutrients over the past 7 months with great success. However, does it also allow me to track and see a summary breakdown of more specific items such as the amount of vitamins, minerals and other such details? My doctor wants me to track my Calcium, Fiber and some other items. I love the ability to see summary details of all the food I eat, whether by day, week, month, etc. If Fitbit does not offer this, is there any 3rd party apps that are available and can be integrated? Thank you

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Not sure if I'm missing something here but your post looks really recent so I'll add this.

I've started tracking food and have found out that the desktop app is where you can enter the greatest range of food breakdown. The mobile app looks to be a shortened version but if you notice, the pie chart on the mobile app shows "x" categorized cals.

To list the fully available list of nutrients do the following:

1. Login to the desktop app.

2. Click Log in the header section (next to the dashboard icon)

3. In the Quick add section on the right hand side of the log screen click the Custom option.

4. Click the the Edit Custom Foods option

5. Select the edit button for the food you want to edit from your list.

6. Enter the main headings and choose your qty ref. Most foods seem to always list the "per 100 gram" sets of data on the packets so I've started to list all mine using this reference. You are just literally entering how many grams you had irrespective of food size (great for things like avocados where the size can vary). but whatever suits you I guess is fine, just depends how accurate you need to be I guess.

7. Now Check / slide the grayed out Detailed View option at the bottom just above the save bar.

8. The following additional items become available:

Vitamin A

Vitamin C

Calcium

Iron

Thiamin

Riboflavin

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B12

Vitamin E

Folic Acid

Niacin

Magnesium

Phosphorus

Iodine

Zinc

Copper

Biotin

Pantothenic Acid

Vitamin D

9. Save the food

The only thing that I've just tried to do (which seems to not be available) is Omegas.

I've just entered Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds and noted that these are listed but I can't list them even with this extended version.

Once you sync, the foods will be listed on your mobile app.

The only other thing done to ensure that I get the data I want is that I start all my food entries with "My" There seems to be so many items that just pop up in the list when you try to conveniently pick a food that I've got fed up seeing that the data doesn't match what's on the packet of the food I've just eaten.

Now, If I see "My Chia Seeds" or "My Toasted Crumpets" (crazy low on fat by the way) then I know that the entries are Per the packet.

If I get stuck on an item (like a raw produce) then I just google and find the "raw" food stats.

Hope this helps.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

@BobbyCT -- Welcome.  I believe My Fitness Pal is the answer -- it provides more detailed nutrient tracking and integrates with Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hey Bobby, what Dave said...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

LoseIt! Does a great job of tracking micronutrients, showing trends, and integrates really well with Fitbit. Mind you a premium membership is required, but it does do a great job for food logging.

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've looked at MyFitnessPal and Lose It! cannot see how to track micronutrients - Macro nutrients yes definitely.  I'm interested in balancing all aspects of my diet and not leaving it to chance.  Suffering with inability to clear lactic acid from my legs and feel this is the one way. 

You had any luck?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AmandaJW just input your food and it lists all the micros on the nutrients tab in the diary, as long as the individual foods are set up correctly.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

As of today, after Fitbit implemented another update, you can no longer do this in MyFitnessPal, as far as I can tell. Tracking carbs, protein, fats and dietary fiber in grams has been Fitbit’s most useful functionality for me where food is concerned. Calcium tracking, I think, was only ever available in the premium MyFitnessPal membership - don’t know if that’s disappeared too. Anyone another app compatible with the Fitbit app that still displays in grams?

Best Answer

@VickK wrote:

As of today, after Fitbit implemented another update...

Indeed! And to me they screwed up one of the most useful features. Before you had this useful table that showed you the breakdown of macronutrients for each food you ate. So if you heavy on % carbs, for example, you could look at everything you ate and see what contributed to it.

Now they just show the total summary for the day, and you're left wondering. That's a huge miss. I'm really hoping this is a just a temporary thing, while they finish the new UI.

Best Answer

I've been using MyFitnessPal as well, but I would really love it if FitBit added micronutrients as I want to track things such as my sugar and fiber intake, and I don't want to have to use 10 different apps to keep on top of my health and fitness.  I would like FitBit to be my 'one stop shop' if you will.  Maybe that's too much to ask?

Best Answer

Check out Cronometer. I have myfitnesspal too but cronometer is more detailed. All micronutrients are there, even ratios of potassium/sodium, magnesium/calcium, omega3/omega6. It pretty much is myfitnesspal on steroids. It also syncs w apple health AND Fitbit 

Best Answer

Cronometer syncs?  Yeah!  I was having a hard time switching my food logging from cronometer to Fitbit after I got a Fitbit for Christmas.  Cronometer is definitely the best food tracker hands down!  Thanks for the tip.

Update: Just went to Cronometer and synced it.  Super excited about this!  Some people hate logging and tracking food; but I look at it as a hobby and enjoy it. So glad I stumbled upon your tip.

Best Answer

Cool!  I really wish Fitbit food tracking was detailed like this so that I could just use one app.... 

Best Answer

l would love to see micronutrients in loseit but no they don't have them and I have premium. I have mentioned it in feedback and I feel if they don't do it it would be cool if they would be compatible/sync with an app that does So we don't have to enter redundant data. Micronutrients are essential to health and why this feature isn't available in health and fitness apps  is baffling. 

Best Answer

Not sure if I'm missing something here but your post looks really recent so I'll add this.

I've started tracking food and have found out that the desktop app is where you can enter the greatest range of food breakdown. The mobile app looks to be a shortened version but if you notice, the pie chart on the mobile app shows "x" categorized cals.

To list the fully available list of nutrients do the following:

1. Login to the desktop app.

2. Click Log in the header section (next to the dashboard icon)

3. In the Quick add section on the right hand side of the log screen click the Custom option.

4. Click the the Edit Custom Foods option

5. Select the edit button for the food you want to edit from your list.

6. Enter the main headings and choose your qty ref. Most foods seem to always list the "per 100 gram" sets of data on the packets so I've started to list all mine using this reference. You are just literally entering how many grams you had irrespective of food size (great for things like avocados where the size can vary). but whatever suits you I guess is fine, just depends how accurate you need to be I guess.

7. Now Check / slide the grayed out Detailed View option at the bottom just above the save bar.

8. The following additional items become available:

Vitamin A

Vitamin C

Calcium

Iron

Thiamin

Riboflavin

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B12

Vitamin E

Folic Acid

Niacin

Magnesium

Phosphorus

Iodine

Zinc

Copper

Biotin

Pantothenic Acid

Vitamin D

9. Save the food

The only thing that I've just tried to do (which seems to not be available) is Omegas.

I've just entered Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds and noted that these are listed but I can't list them even with this extended version.

Once you sync, the foods will be listed on your mobile app.

The only other thing done to ensure that I get the data I want is that I start all my food entries with "My" There seems to be so many items that just pop up in the list when you try to conveniently pick a food that I've got fed up seeing that the data doesn't match what's on the packet of the food I've just eaten.

Now, If I see "My Chia Seeds" or "My Toasted Crumpets" (crazy low on fat by the way) then I know that the entries are Per the packet.

If I get stuck on an item (like a raw produce) then I just google and find the "raw" food stats.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Just click on "reports" in Myfitnesspal" and you can select virtually any nutrient/vitamins/minerals etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see any "Quick Add" or "Custom Option". This is my screen: Is there a place in "Food Stats" I should be looking at?

Capture.JPG

Jean
Best Answer
0 Votes

The best app to use for this is MyFitnessPal because it automatically syncs to Fitbit and tracks all macros and micronutrients logged. Plus its free so cant be that. You can also create your own recipes and foods without becoming a premium member so that you know exactly what is in your food with the ingredients you used and save it if you eat that particular recipe often.

I love that Fitbit and MyfitnessPal sync with each other so there is nothing extra I need to do cause I want to do as little work as possible

Hope this Helps

Thérèse

Follow my Journey on Social Media

Fitbit

MyFitnessPal

Personal Facebook

Like the Nourishing Pot's FB page to help support and/or visit The Nourish Pot website but please note we are under construction.

Instagram

For Recipes, Meal Plans and more you can subscribe to my Youtube Channel.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using CRONOMETER (CRON=Calorie restriction, Optimum Nutrition) for logging food for years. It is a powerful program and syncs with Fitbit program. I will admit that the Gold subscription is necessary for all features when it comes to micronutrient control.

@BobbyCT wrote:

I have been using the food tracking feature of my Fitbit to track calories and macronutrients over the past 7 months with great success. However, does it also allow me to track and see a summary breakdown of more specific items such as the amount of vitamins, minerals and other such details? My doctor wants me to track my Calcium, Fiber and some other items. I love the ability to see summary details of all the food I eat, whether by day, week, month, etc. If Fitbit does not offer this, is there any 3rd party apps that are available and can be integrated? Thank you

Best Answer

I think you meant to type macronutrients. Loseit! does not offer a micronutrient summary even with premium membership. I would love to see how things like my iron etc. are during the day but that's not available, yet. I've had loseit since 2013 and I did see micronutrients on a list in a survey of things users would like and I did select it. So maybe some day with enough user requests it will happen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip.  I just installed this and I love it.

Best Answer
0 Votes