Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegan Eating

ANSWERED

I have switched back to a Vegan lifestyle after some medical issues really forced it. This evening I had one of my favorite meals: black beans, rice, and spicy tomatoes. Simple yet delicious. Lots of protein, good carbs, and very filling. Just thought I would share. Before I went back to Vegan, I used to top it with some cheese. 

This adjsutment is going well. I am having some detox/withdraw but nothing too bad. If anyone is doing something similar please let me know. I would love a Vegan partner.

Being a good steward to this world means loving all your neighbors, not just ones you think have comprehension.
Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

@kath5 thanks for sharing! I'm definitely getting that cookbook! I;m sure it's full of colors and deliciousness. I'm happy to read about your family following along your plant based diet. Family is a great motivator! Cat Wink

Keep it up!HeartCat Very Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi all, 

I am looking to connect with other fitbit-using vegans:) I'm pretty new to veganism, just a few months in. 

Best Answer

Congrats on your transition to veganism. I've been vegan for over 14 years, so I have experience in that area, even if I haven't always been the healthiest vegan! I got my first Fitbit a few months ago and upgraded a few weeks after that.

Best Answer

Hello again! As I mentioned I have transitioned to a Whole Food Plant Based "vegan" diet. My wife is on board and I have 3 little veggie eaters in my house...but they dont always eat WHPB. At any rate, here are some of my favorite sources of recipes:

1.) Dreena Burton, Let Them Eat Vegan...most of the recipes are fairly easy and by far the best tasting I have found. The only caveot is that Dreena tends to use oils...but on the other hand this makes them musch more palatable to my kids.

2.) Del Sroufe recipes at ForksOverKnives.com; very talented chef whose recipes meet the criteria for inclusion into the Forks Over Knives community...which means very little to no oil.

3.) Dr. McDougall, Quick and Easy Cookbook, its exactly what it says, quick and easy recipes.

However, I have saved the best for last...this not a source of recipes, but what he calles "formulas", which are flipping awesome. The problem I have noticed about recipes is that you generally have to have the exact ingredients avaliable..but what if the kids are screaming, your hungry, its been a long day, you havent shopped, and you just need to get something together? If this is you then check out my last suggestion:

4.) All of the "formulas" from nomeathlete.com Basically the "formulas" allow you to buld a dish from what ever you have on hand. For example, look at his post on the "chipolte method" http://www.nomeatathlete.com/chipotle-method/

Best of luck everyone!

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
Hello, lovers of health ! I have a small contribution, after reading books of gastroenterologist Hiromi Shinya, which I highly recommend! Our digestive system was created to digest raw food. This dish, in its natural state, contains enzymes that help break down when they reach the stomach, where it sits around 30-45 minute.Enzymes from food pre digest food. Therefore when the food begins to be digested, the pancreas secretes more enzymes. When we eat dishes radiated, or cooked, the enzymes were annihilated, food is not pre digested it reaches the stomach, the pancreas must produce more enzymes to it dissolve, and often food is not only partially digested. Moreover, food that is not entirely dissolved, most often enter directly into the bloodstream. Especially if you have any leaks. Even partially digested is treated as a toxin, and the immune system tries to get rid of it. It already adds a requirement on the immune system, already overworked. So, let's eat fruits, vegetables, green leaves, seeds and especially, must chew of 30-50-70 times what we have in our mouth !!!
steps to health with my Blaze 101
Best Answer

@natvralvegan@DanielleinDC@ScottHsv@marfar hello there guys! This is very motivating. I definitely knew something about our digestive system were not made to eat meat or dairy but this is all brand new info to me @marfar! Very interesting and honestly my mouth just started watering when I read: "fruits, vegetables, green leaves, seeds..." It all sounds so delicious! 

Cheers! Heart

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
When I tell friends about dairy, sighs and they seem ears are closing! It's hard to make someone understand ... But I continue to hope! And not only is food so important! A famous naturopathic, Candace Pert, did research and wrote a book: The molecules of emotion! Very interesting link between negative emotions and our diseases!
Best Answer

@marfar excellent! Yeah, I get the feeling. I always wonder if I should state the reason why I'm vegan and whether or not the other person will understand. Would they care about the environment, the animals or the health benefits? And I always ask myself if I need a most unnecessary "protein talk", lol. Cat LOL

I will most definitely look for the book by Candance Pert. Thanks for sharing! Heart

Best Answer

Let us remember that when we were kids (O Lord, how has passed since then!), our mothers gave us what they thought best food for us! (Now I learned from my daughter what's best for me !!!)

Well, I think some of us remember from childhood happiness! Mother not wrong! We are wrong as we have not fully matured!

Being vegan can seem a trifle! Being healthy - this is the real winner!

I have another suggestion: Mikhail Tombak - How to live 150 years. Warning: the food is in third place !!!
Best Answer

Vegan eating... Hamburgers! Vegan patties!

• Lentil patties
  • Black bean patties
  • Chickpeas Patties
  • Mushroom hamburger

Any of those... I must say, is the best thing ever. Taste is great, for real. If you have a vegan restaurant near you, you should go and try. You can also make them at home, which is a great experience, specially if you do it with your family (specially kids). Smiley Very Happy 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
Oh yes ! Indeed, they taste great! But now I realize that when we eat many dairy and meat, taste these goodies seemed interesting ... not! After a few months of changing taste is really another! And the experience of cooking with kids is fantastic! Including children friends! They are first discouraged by parents, but after receiving a sort of cook are amazing! Amaze even their parents!
Best Answer

Me, too! I'm a 'whole foods whole' vegan--as much as possible and practical.  I aim for organic-- at least regarding the Clean 15 vs the Dirty Dozen.  How long have you been vegan? Any 'issues' behind that for you?

I'm mostly a free-style cook-- not much for precision recipes, but open to CREATIVITY!

Let's connect!

Best Answer

Rescently I tried to become vegan. But then I reliesed it was easier said then done for me. So I am now trying out being vegetarian! Although, I do weekly/monthly have meat in a meal. So I am not quite there yet, but I am progressing! I was hoping that maybe one of you had a good recipe (for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)  that could help promote a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

I was also wondering what oils you would use in cooking (vegetarian and vegan).

And what would be a good way to gradually work into the vegetarian to vegan lifestyle.

Thank you all!

Best Answer
Hello ! You must not do in veganism reason to live! Why eat animal protein? Why we continue to eat dairy? First dairy products! Read ,,The China Study". It is a begining! Discover what Hippocrates said 2.400 years ago: food be your medicine ! Watch the documentary ,,Forks over Knives"! Read books by Mikhail Tombak! Read the book written by Bruce Lipton ,,Biology of faith"! We have 50 trillion cells each! These cells need food with solar energy (fruits, vegetables, seeds, green leaves) and cleaning through movement! Dairy blocks the lymph, which deals with the elimination of toxins. Meat, eggs, fats, give us less energy and more waste. So it's simple why we need to make changes! But to understand is an ongoing effort! Our minds and our bodies have habits and sometimes are enemies! The will is weak when we are tired, upset, angry, betrayed, sad, vulnerable and that is why we think for a little relaxation? Eat something that calms us, which produces serotonin in the body. It is the hormone of happiness, after all that running! I'm not a teacher! I myself learn from others and I'm glad the three years I managed to exchange food but especially to understand! I approach retirement and continue to learn to live simply and healthily. This wish with all my heart to everyone! As M. Tombak says, it's not important to live sick over a hundred years but to be healthy as long as we live! What we eat, how we move and what we think are essential!
Best Answer

I'm a vegan food blogger and chef,  there are many creative and easy recipes on my Facebook page : happy vegan cook,  you can take a look. I went vegan a little over a year ago, the first month I couldn't cut the eggs but after watching some videos on YouTube about the truth I finally transitioned to veganism. If you are on Facebook,  join new vegan groups like "new vegan support" and recipe groups like "What f.a.t. vegans eat" people there are very helpful and supportive, the recipes are superb! Hope it helps,  and I use rice bran oil for cooked food, olive oil for salad and coconut oil for skincare.

Best Answer

@Happyvegancook that's totally awesome! Cat Very Happy I'll go ahead and take a look at happy vegan cook! I follow a fair amount of vegan Facebook pages. All recipes are so out of this world! Cat Surprised Heart I'm sure happy vegan cook won't be the exception. Have an excellent week! Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Hello,

I personally experienced the problem soy has.. it's loaded with phyto-Estrogen... Plant Estrogen. When I began my Vegetarian trek 3 years ago... I did what I read & was suggested by all the Vegetarians I knew.. I bought Vegetarian Substitutes for the meats I had been accustomed to eating.. Veggie: Burgers, Hot Dogs, Pizza, Turkey, etc...  Well, I began having mental confusion, Extreme low Energy, Lack of Motivation.... I went to Dr & they tested my blood. Turns out my Testosterone had plummeted to ridiculously low Levels. I then went on a regimen of gel Testosterone treatments.. that did nothing. Then went on Test Injections... that helped some. 

It was only when I went Vegan & at that time happened to learn from the World's foremost Cardiologist.. Dr. Gundry... about the truth about soy. Soy also disrupts the Thyroid in both men & women. Since Soy has been subsidized by our US Gov... it's in almost all Processed foods... under different names. I can't find a single cookie or cracker in the isle of my local Grocery store that does not contain Soy!

Since cutting out soy... my Testosterone has rebounded to levels way higher than I was able to attain w/ Testosterone injections! I used to be abysmal, now I am in the Above average to High range for Testosterone... & I am almost 50 yrs old! 

Here is the link for the Dr. Gundry video that helped solve my  low Testosterone problem.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg3IDHrHUp4

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

I guess it's not good for everyone. I have had no problems eating soy (or even processed soy). In fact, I think my vegan diet is one reason I haven't had any severe perimenopause symptoms except for irregular periods. 

Best Answer