Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegetables to snack on throughout the day

I absolutely hate vegetables. But apparently they are pretty good for you. I never eat enough because I don't like the texture of most of them. What is a good vegetable that i can snack on or eat with basically every meal. I am the type of person who can eat the same thing every day and not get sick of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

The texture of a vegetable can vary based on how you prepare them - a raw carrot is different from a roasted carrot or a diced carrot cooked in a food or blended or cooked into a soup.  If you like them crunchy try carrots, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, radishes, jicama, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce.  Personally, I'd pick a new vegetable and try it raw, roasted, and soft - either mashed or cooked in a soup.  Buy enough to try all week in different ways.  Then the next week try another vegetable.  If you know you really like a vegetable, look for others in that family.  

I don't like eating cherry tomatoes but my daughter does.  So when I pack her lunch i always try a couple in my lunch.  Even though I've never liked them, I keep trying them.  I've done this with beets, sweet potatoes and mushrooms and over time I've come to really like them when i really hated them in the beginning. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

About any vegetable really. But eating the same one every day only has limited benefits. If you want the benefits from eating vegetables, you should switch them up. Just try small portions of different vegetables often and your palette will change. It takes 6 tastings on average for us humans to start liking a taste. So don't give up on the first try. This is why kids have to try new foods often. I am sure there are some that you dislike less than others. So try many and find the ones you are ok with and go from there. We don't know your taste.

Also you can change the flavour a lot by how you prep them. Garlic might help a lot and is really healthy too. Also spices work well. Sauteed might be worth a try for you as well as the grilling judging from your other post.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about baby carrots with hummus?  I typically make my own hummus; spicy or original based on how i feel that day.  Sabra makes tons of different flavors.  see how you like it.   

Best Answer

@kawaiiko

I make that so often too! And a great dip for a variety of vegetables really. Baby carrots as you suggested, but also bell peppers, celery etc. etc.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

the greatest nutrition comes from a rainbow. you have to eat your colors. but if you are looking for veggies to munch on between meals so you don't reach for the cookies.. my favorites are snap peas, cauliflower and soy bean. they are crunchy, sweet or a little tangy and require a while to chew so it lasts longer. the cauliflower has the lowest calorie count, followed by the peas and then soybean. All have really good nutritional value.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of my favorite meals is cooking up some Beyond Meat chickenless strips, grain pilaf from Trader Joe's, get some raw grape tomatoes, slice a cucumber, and put it on a plate. I splash with lemon juice and serve with hummus.

Carrot sticks, celery sticks, and sugar snap peas dipped in hummus is also pretty good. 

Best Answer
0 Votes