Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as water

ANSWERED

I drink fruit tea throughout the day. As a mug contains 5 calories I log these as calories intake. My question is as these are almost 100% water can I  / should I also add them to water intake?
Put another way, is water intake only for plain unadulterated water?
I occasionally have an ordinary cup of tea with semi skimmed milk - the same question arises about this 90% water beverage.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Tea is all water with a little flavor, chamomile tea is what is called an infusion since it does not contain any Camellia sinensis, and therefore also comtains no caffeine. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

There are probably lots of views on this, but I say almost any liquid, except alcohol, is water.  The way I look at it, even drinking a can of soda is like drinking ~11.7 ounces of water and mixing in a bit of other stuff.  Some might say the other stuff is bad for you, but that does not mean you did not also get the water.

But that just my way of looking at it.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

If you want to look at what water the body can process, we need to include

The water in

Fruits and vegetables 

Salads

Meats

Soups

Stews

All juices

Etc

With coffee, tea, and soda, the caffeine and suger does not prevent the body from processing the water, as @JohnnyRow points out.

As for tea and coffee the extra nutrients can make these more beneficial than plain water. Note that all tea has some fluoride and it is possible, not easy, to overdose on this chemical. Just a warning if your local water company adds floride.

As for as how much water to drink? Monitor the color of the urine.

To dark = drink more water

Always clear = lay off of the water for a while.

Yes it is possible to drink to much water leading to an imbalance of electrolytes. I know one lady who recently spent a few days in the hospital, caused by drinking to much water, with low electrolytes the nerves could not function.

Best Answer

I have a question according to the subject, so therefore I try writing it here.

I have been advised to drink about 2 1/2 L (don't know the Oz) of water, but I'm have trouble getting there. In this very moment I'm dealing with a cold, and therefore I am drinking a lot of camomile tea.

But my question is: Do any of you have any idea to make about being better to drink water? And what are possible things to drink that is as close to water as possible? I'm a big fan of tea, but don't like coffee. Any suggestions are welcome 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tea is all water with a little flavor, chamomile tea is what is called an infusion since it does not contain any Camellia sinensis, and therefore also comtains no caffeine. 

Best Answer

@CarinaToftHave you tried to put Fruit into your water as it adds a different flavor.

I also lime Sparkling water there are different flavors

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Paulmb, My understanding of logging water is to help us drink enough. Not counting what is naturally in foods, the average person needs about 8 glasses (64 fl oz, or 1.9 L for those outside the US) a day. This needs to be adjusted for things like our body mass and activity level. I currently drink two to three glasses of wine a day and need a minimum of 10 glasses of water per day. I need more water when exorcising to the point of perspiring and when allergen levels are high.

Over the last few decades a lot of reports have been published on beverage pros and cons. Most agree that alcohol is a dehydrant. How much depends on the report. For each glass of wine it is suggested to drink one or two classes of water to counter it, depending on the researcher. Some research states that coffee is a dehydrant, some say it is neutral, some say it counts the same as water. Most research agrees that tea counts as water. Which reports do you want to believe?

Personally, I don't count any alcohol or coffee as water. I count actual water, tea, hot chocolate, juice, and some soup. A lot of my soup is mostly water, or about half water. Things like cream of mushroom I don't count as water.

@CarinaToft, I have had the same issue over the years of plain water not going down well enough for my needs. What works for making it taste better has changed over time. For a few years it was flavored carbonated water. Currently I drink tea and herbal tea to help get enough water.

I hope this helps at least a little. You still need to decide which reports you want to believe.

Have a Terrific day!

Best Answer

Thanks for all these useful answers. I think I'll go with adding my fruit teas to the water intake as well as logging their calories.

Best Answer

You got some great answers to your actual question. I’d add that - while being properly hydrated is indeed important for your health and well-being - it only has a minor impact on fat loss / weight management (if it’s your concern in logging your water intake / deciding what to log and what not). I personally don’t bother logging my water intake in Fitbit: I simply look at the colour of my pee throughout the day, and if it’s clear / light-yellow, I know I’m properly hydrated.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@WendyB: Yes, I have tried that. But it doesn't work for me. 

Lime juice isn't good for my stomach. Sadly. 

But it was some very good ideas. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Goosse1962: I do also drink a lot of tea, and try to combine it with natural water. Also I work on a habit of starting my day putting the kettle into a boil. It works well in the weekdays, but in the weekends I'm not as good doing it. But thanks for the good advice. I have also heard that milk also counts in the water "budget". I also live on a small farm, where we have a couple of (2) apple trees and also 2 pear trees, so that also helps giving some juice. And I think that it also counts in a good way.

Hope you get a great day too. 

Best Answer

There are mwny things the body can get water from, many of these things people seem to think should not be used in determining the'amount of wa5er intake. We reall

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue: The fitbit watches that are mentioned in your post, are these watches counting the water intake from food f.ex fruits and vegetables.?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit trackers count movement @CarinaToft, water needs to be entered in manually or through a conneted water bottle. The trackers do not count water.

Best Answer

Rich_lauge: Sorry for not answering your post before now, have been away from this community page for a while. I just have a little question to your latest post. You have mentioned Something about a water bottle that can track/log water. Can you tell me some more about it? What is the name of it, how doe's it work, and Where can I get it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CarinaToft: just search Amazon for "connected bluetooth bottle", you will find several options.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique: Thanks for the answer, I Will try that ☺

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear @Paulmb,

Yes, you can consider your fruit tea as your water intake. but if you consume any other constituents along like milk you must be generously taking everything into account like calories from sugar and milk.  While, some think that has only water can be considered water intake like green tea or any other herbal infusion.

Regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnnyRowwrote:

There are probably lots of views on this, but I say almost any liquid, except alcohol, is water.  The way I look at it, even drinking a can of soda is like drinking ~11.7 ounces of water and mixing in a bit of other stuff.  Some might say the other stuff is bad for you, but that does not mean you did not also get the water.

But that just my way of looking at it.

As a previous heavy soda drinker and someone who gets his blood tested regularly, from your bodies standpoint this isn't true.  Your blood won't dilute properly on soda as it would on straight water which negatively impacts your red blood cell count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is plenty of water in soda that the body can use. Yes the singer will upset things, 

H2O may be found in many foods such as Meats , vegetables, pasta, potatoes, stews, soups, sauces,, etc not to mention most drinks 

And where did this bogus fallacy of "everybody needs to drink 8 glasses", come from. Do you think science has changed in the 60+ years since this was dreamed up? 

Best Answer
0 Votes