Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of the Keto diet?

ANSWERED

I am thinking of changing my eating lifestyle. I have looked into the Keto diet. Have you had success with it if you have tried it?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bcruik keto is high fat MODERATE protein (high protein is NOT keto as someone else has said) and very low carb, ideally below 20g net carbs (total carbs less fibre) until you're used to keto at least.

It's been my lifestyle for almost three years now and suits me well.  No calorie restriction at all, I don't even track anymore (stopped that in July last year).

Allie

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

It seems to work well for people who are insulin-resistant / pre-diabetic and have a large amount of weight to lose. The high fat intake provides satiety and makes the caloric deficit more bearable. You need to be pretty motivated, as the diet is quite restrictive, and let’s face it, foods considered yummy by most people contain carbs. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome @bcruik -- suggesting you mention why you are considering keto, and what benefits you hope to receive from it.

I've personally had great results, most of them in addition to weight loss.  For me, the reality lives up to the hype:  increased mental clarity, reduced inflammation, more energy, less sleep required, bonk-free athletic performance, etc.  

All my metabolic markers have improved.  I had been pre-diabetic for 9 years with an eAG from 5.7% to 6.0%.  It is now 5.2%.  My ratio of Total Cholesterol to HDL had been 5.0.  It is now 3.2.  My C-Reactive Protein had been 2.8.  It is now 0.73.  I am now at low risk for heart disease and diabetes in spite of losing both my parents to them.

It's not all puppy dogs and rainbows -- people have different results and the adaptation is tough.  You could start off with the less extreme paleo or "slow-carb" regimen and see how you respond before taking the keto plunge.  That's what I did.

There is a wealth of information available to you -- I'd start with https://ketonutrition.org/ and suggest reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek.  Keep also in mind that keto is vehemently opposed by the helpcare establishment that profits richly from the obesity epidemic and its attendant chronic conditions - you might take their admonitions with a grain of salt, as you will need more sodium if you go keto.

Again, suggest you disclose the "why" behind your interest in keto for more helpful responses.  Good Luck!

Best Answer

@bcruikwrote:

I am thinking of changing my eating lifestyle. I have looked into the Keto diet. Have you had success with it if you have tried it?

There is only one way of eating that has been scientifically proven in peer reviewed studies to prevent, arrest and reverse heart disease, cure type 2 diabetes, cure obesity, prevent or arrest cancer growth, and do the same for the 15 top diseases that kill people. That is a whole food plant based diet.

You can read books by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Essylstyne, Dr. Ornish, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Gregor,  and others to learn the mechanisms. 

Choose keto if you like, but choose whole food, plant based for health.

Best Answer

Dear @bcruik,

Keto Diet basically involves consuming high fat and moderate protein diet. While you have to restrict your carbs intake to as less as 20 gms each day. It is however much difficult if you are a vegan or vegetarian. there are plenty of options for non-vegetarians. It can help to achieve your weight loss goals and to some extent prevent diabetes. I would personally suggest you to club keto diet along with intermittent fasting. alternatively, LCHF diet can also help.

Have a great diet experience.

Regards.

Best Answer

@bcruik keto is high fat MODERATE protein (high protein is NOT keto as someone else has said) and very low carb, ideally below 20g net carbs (total carbs less fibre) until you're used to keto at least.

It's been my lifestyle for almost three years now and suits me well.  No calorie restriction at all, I don't even track anymore (stopped that in July last year).

Allie
Best Answer

It sounds like a modified Atkins diet. Low-carb/high-protein diets have been cycling in and out of vogue for decades. It sounds really boring to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Several clarifications to what I've seen posted here:

• Keto does not involve high protein, it involves high fat.  Protein should be low to moderate.
  • Reducing carbs to under 20 grams is often recommended; however, I've found that under 50 grams works for me and others I've spoken with.  At 50 grams, I can eat plenty of greens and vegetables to get my micro-nutrients and prebiotic foods up.
  • Maybe 50 grams of carbs works because my protein is moderate.  I've been running the following portions:  Fat = 75%.  Protein + Carbs = 25%.
  • Broken Record:  the primary benefits of Keto are unrelated to weight loss.  If weight loss is your main goal, it's easier to just reduce sugar and highly processed carbs
Best Answer

@Alicat2104wrote:

No calorie restriction at all

You have to qualify this statement: "no calorie restriction" doesn’t mean that calories do not matter, or that you can eat at a surplus and lose weight, or eat at a deficit and gain weight. The laws of thermodynamics still apply even when you’re on a ketogenic diet. What you likely mean is that eating a ketogenic diet allows you to lose (or maintain weight) without paying too much attention to how much you’re eating, because you will usually feel full (due to the satiating effect of the high fat intake) before you overeat.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique Actually I don't "have to qualify" any statement to you, but I will go further to explain that I don't personally count or restrict calories at all, I just eat when I'm hungry - some days I eat a lot more than others. For the first couple of years on keto I tracked, counted, and restricted calories in the belief that this was necessary, then in July 2017 I stopped all of the counting, tracking, restricting and just paid attention to my body instead.  Now my BF% is lower, lean tissue has increased, and my stress levels are dramatically reduced due to not having to weigh, measure, & record everything.

Allie
Best Answer

@Alicat2104wrote:

@Dominique Actually I don't "have to qualify" any statement to you, but I will go further to explain that I don't personally count or restrict calories at all, I just eat when I'm hungry - some days I eat a lot more than others. For the first couple of years on keto I tracked, counted, and restricted calories in the belief that this was necessary, then in July 2017 I stopped all of the counting, tracking, restricting and just paid attention to my body instead.  Now my BF% is lower, lean tissue has increased, and my stress levels are dramatically reduced due to not having to weigh, measure, & record everything.

You also trained your body/mind using the multiple years of tracking to ingrain it in your head of how to eat right.  You wouldn't have been able to accomplish the "no tracking" without it.

Best Answer

I actually eat more now than when I was tracking but don't worry about it at all.

Allie
Best Answer

@Alicat2104wrote:

I actually eat more now than when I was tracking but don't worry about it at all.

@Alicat2104 - my goal when I grow up is to get to the state that you have achieved.  Reading your posts, the takeaway for me is that Keto is not a temporary diet to lose weight, but a lifestyle to be sustained.

I'm logging less and less, for the reasons you mentioned.  My biggest challenge is with holidays and social occasions.  Not to mention Girl Scout Thin Mint season.  That said, I just spent a weekend skiing, took food with me and was able to stay in ketosis the entire time while saving time and money -- while others were bonked and inside re-carbing for lunch, I was still out skiing on my light breakfast of a hard-boiled egg, bacon, greens and coconut oil.  Nothing like kicking teenage butt from the top to the bottom of the mountain until the lifts close.  "Dad, can we stop already?!"

I know I must sound all full of myself, but I'm feeling pretty stout, especially after getting my blood-work back.

Best Answer

I started Keto in December and lost 15 lbs within a few weeks.  More importantly, I FELT AMAZING.  I was more productive at work and had more energy.  I think carbs make me feel sluggish.

I took a break for a few weeks and noticed I didn't feel well again so I am back on it.  I highly recommend it!  Just get through the 1st week and it is actually pretty easy to follow-your cravings disappear.

Best Answer

@KetoMomwrote:

I started Keto in December and lost 15 lbs within a few weeks.  More importantly, I FELT AMAZING.  I was more productive at work and had more energy.  I think carbs make me feel sluggish.

I took a break for a few weeks and noticed I didn't feel well again so I am back on it.  I highly recommend it!  Just get through the 1st week and it is actually pretty easy to follow-your cravings disappear.

@KetoMom - Right?  The fringe benefits are awesome.  In the past, when I would try to "eat healthy" while increasing my exercise, I felt like crap and could never sustain it.  Who would ever think you could feel so good while running a calorie deficit? 

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here and @KetoMom: I live on my own and I can eat whatever and whenever I please. How about you: have you converted the rest of the family to the keto lifestyle, or do your households serve separate menus for different family members?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@Dominique - I haven't tried to convert my family.  I make my own breakfast and lunch.  When we have a family dinner, I just eat whatever we're having and go light on any high glycemic index carbs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL, too complicated for me. I've tried Atkins, WeightWatchers, etc over the years in addition to severe calorie restriction or fasting, and I've heard of other "diets" where you cut out all white foods or something else weird going for complicated instant fixes.

For me, I've found that "natural eating" works. Avoid high calorie junk food, empty carb calories. Things like fruits, yogurts, cheese, eggs, small amounts of peanut butter, chicken, meat (with no sides) veggie, etc. can be eaten reasonably and result in health that can be truly be sustained with pleasure over the long haul. Try to avoid processed foods though you don't have to abstain completely, but it should never make up the majority or even a large portion of your diet. Though I love my protein, I don't personally believe in extremes so it's not like I never enjoy a dish of spaghetti but my own body seems to have more satisfaction and an easier time losing weight when I lean more on protein to kill hunger pangs. 

Personally I believe in moderate portions, avoiding junk and all fast food, moderate exercise, natural foods with an emphasis on proteins and don't weigh more than once a week. You didn't gain your weight in a month so don't try to lose it in a month. Sustainability is a slow process that should never make you feel deprived! Also, drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day as the body is naturally wired to link dehydration to deprivation which can lead to unneeded food cravings and binges that could easily have been avoided with proper hydration.

Everyone is different, of course, and this is just what has worked for me! If it works for you, great, and if not, I wish you all the best in finding what DOES work. Cat Happy

Best Answer

I am currently following a keto diet (Atkins).  I find it works exceptionally well for weight loss.

A few years back I weighed 256 lbs and was grossly out of shape.  Staring the second week of February through Easter, I managed to drop to 211 lbs and was in the best shape of my life.  I limited myself to no more than 20 grams of carbs a day and made sure I had lean protein snacks on hand  so I wasn't tempted to cheat.  I found after a couple of weeks you no longer feel hungry on a keto diet anyways and have to remind yourself to eat.  That is one of the big reasons why it is so successful.  Most diets come with cravings and a constant feeling of not being quite full.  Atkins and other keto variants have a week of hell at the beginning, then no further cravings or bad hunger until you quit.  Limiting yourself to 20 grams of carbs or less is quite restrictive tho.  My suggestion is to focus on the foods you enjoy that you are allowed in unlimited quantities.  Two of my faves are bacon for breakfast and chicken wings or meatballs as snacks (just don't soak them in sugary BBQ sauce - stick to sugar free spice and hot sauce).

Best Answer

@GershonSurgewrote:

@bcruikwrote:

There is only one way of eating that has been scientifically proven in peer reviewed studies to prevent, arrest and reverse heart disease, cure type 2 diabetes, cure obesity, prevent or arrest cancer growth, and do the same for the 15 top diseases that kill people. That is a whole food plant based diet.

You can read books by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Essylstyne, Dr. Ornish, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Gregor,  and others to learn the mechanisms. 

Choose keto if you like, but choose whole food, plant based for health.

Well said GersonSurge!!

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
0 Votes