Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of foods to eat when I am trying to lose weight but I am iron deficient?

What kind of foods do I eat when I am trying to lose weight but I am iron deficient? I have been to the doctor and my body just doesn't hold iron. I know red meat is good for iron but not good for losing weight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I have a daughter with the same issue, we discovered she can eat anything she wants now she eats an orange or a tangerine a day and a mandarin wedge salad.  

Seems real vitamin C (not supplement) is the secret to absorbing iron in foods, without it, and the ability to retain it, you develop the deficiency.

Best personal advice I have (not a Dr. just a loving Dad) is that mandarin wedge salad before the evening meal, if you have a local Walmart switch to romaine heart lettuce instead of iceberg - costs exactly the same and toss in fresh spinach- bags are only 98c and last 3 or four meals. It only took her 3 weeks to feel better and get thumbs up on a blood test. For her weak days now she has wild caught salmon from a ready-to-eat pouch ($1.86) crumbled over saltines and garnished with parsley flakes instead of a snickers and monster drink.  All the little things add up as the weight comes down.  Healthy comes easy when you have energy - keep moving @Court828

Share your journey, we're all in it together 🙂

PS added benefit to that ready-to-eat wild caught salmon is it never expires, I grab the whole box of pouches (about a dozen) when we get low. Not oily or fishy, just right.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

If you are pursuing a low-fat regimen, fresh steamed spinach is high in iron.  Flank steak is pretty lean.

Also, there is an emerging school of thought that increasing fat and reducing carbs reduces appetite which can facilitate weight loss.  I don't know if that would be appropriate for you, but might be worth looking into.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

Also, there is an emerging school of thought that increasing fat and reducing carbs reduces appetite which can facilitate weight loss.

Well, the Atkins diet has been around for a good 15 years or so, therefore I wouldn’t call it "emerging". However it is true it works for some people because of the higher satiating effect of fats and of the caloric reduction that results from cutting carbs to a minimum. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

You may want to look into doing just a plant based diet. I am not a vegetarian or vegan, just a fyi. It requires a little bit of homework on your part. Eat a varied diet as well. In the last few years I have used a plant based diet, anywhere from 8 months to 2 months. If it grows from the earth, I eat it. Until I eat chicken or meat or fish again and just lose all control. I would stay on but I'm weak. I currently eat mostly plant based with fish. Chicken and meat is once in a while and I'm content. See what works for you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

you probably already did a search, but I found this http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods.. the list is pretty long and there are lots of things on it that are not high calorie food. Of course you need to use moderation. I myself love red beets. there are so many different ways they can be prepared you can literally eat them every day and never the same way twice. I hope the suggestions you are getting work for you- let us know...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I have had no issue eating red meat and losing weight. One way to sneak in extra iron is to cook most everything in a cast iron skillet.  I always had low iron until changing my cookware.

Best Answer

in what section of the grocery store do you find the ready to eat salmon packs?

Best Answer
0 Votes

canned meat. Usually way up high. 

here is exactly what I buy:

sal.jpeg

IF your store doesn't carry it, buy in packs of 12 here

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes