Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When "Sugar Free", Isn't.

While eating at a pancake house I noticed they had "Sugar Free" syrup available. That sounded odd since syrup is basically boiled sugar.  But, a closer look at the label made it even more confusing. The front of the bottle was boldly labeled as Cary's Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup. But on the back, the second ingredient was Sorbitol, which is Sugar Alcohol, and the eight ingredient was Sucralose (commonly known as Splenda). Bringing up the end of the ingredients was Aspartame (artificial sweetener).  Obviously, it is a "low calorie" syrup, but if I were to eat syrup I think I'd prefer the regular syrup over the "Sugar Free" one.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I agree. Instead of consuming artificial sweetener with all chemicals, I would prefer normal sugar or cane sugar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, that syrup sounds gross. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I don't eat syrup that isn't maple and certainly nothing out of a plastic squeeze bottle.. lol

Granted, I only have pancakes or french toast a few times a year. So, those few times a year that I eat something that should have syrup, it will be the good stuff. If I was crazy about them and ate them several times per week, perhaps I would feel the need to come up with another solution. 

I've never understood the whole sugar free craze. I mean, I guess I could see if someone had type I diabetes and wanted to still enjoy some of the same foods that others enjoyed but didn't want to risk their safety doing it. It's right up there for me with eating fat free cheese. *shudder* 

Once a week I buy a 6 ounce wheel of brie. I eat an ounce of it a day. It is delicious and fits just fine into my calorie budget. 

Best Answer

If it's low cal and tastes good i eat it. It's not like i'll be drinking a gallon of it or anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really like Log cabin light.  It isn't as sweet as maple syrup.  I'm sure it has questionable ingredients but since I'm the only person who eats it, I stopped buying it.  I now stick with raw honey or grade b maple syrup if I can find it.  But log cabin light was so rich and buttery.  😄

Best Answer
0 Votes