Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I be healthier if I quit drinking?

I didn’t know where to post this, but let’s pretend it relates to nutrition:

Would I be healthier if I quit drinking?

Just in case, it’s about drinking (or not drinking) alcohol, not water  Smiley Wink

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

You might be healthier, but not happier.

Best Answer

You have to give yourself time a lot of time it takes at least a year before you start really feeling good.. I no I tried to stop at least 10 times before I got it right I drank a fifth of vodka a day. You need to reprogram your thinking... PMS   Physically takes 10 days  Mentail  takes a year and spirtalual takes what it takes give it a chance It will work

Best Answer

Good post, Larry.  It does take time, but one will be healthier and it is so worth it.

Best Answer

Like all things life, it's all about moderation.  I'm a recovered alcoholic.  Meaning, I'm alcoholic, like my father was, and his father was.  But I've had it under control since I was 21.  I know I'm a alcoholic, so I rarely drink. If I do, I don't get drunk, and will usually be one or two drinks at the very most.  While I can still drink hard drinks without an issue, (Except for Everclear, never could stomach that), I choose not to. 

That being said...

1. Alcohol has a lot of calories in it.  So the more your drink... 

2. Alcohol can rasie your heart rate.  Some people this 1 to 3 BPM, others can raise your resting rate over 100 bpm.  Some people get a feeling of the heart racing... 

3. Alcohol lowers your blood sugar.  Alcohol is a poison.  So your liver spends all it's time trying to get it out of your blood.  Since it's 100% busy doing this until all of the alcohol is gone from your bloodstream, your liver can't monitor your glucose levels in your blood stream.  So they can fall.  This can last into the next day, and drastically affect your performance exercising.
4. Alcohol puts a lot of added work onto your liver, long term this can kill you.
5. While there are reports of benefits to drinking some alcohol in low amounts, given the long term issues, my personal take is, a few drinks once or twice a month is ok.  Daily drinking, binge drinking, getting fall down drunk are all very bad for your health.

Bottom line not drinking alcohol is probably good for your health.  I look at like this way, eating chocolate cake once a month is ok.  Every day, not a good idea.  A little alcohol is ok, but none is probably better.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

Thanks for the article!  Not fair men always get more than women  Smiley Very Happy

Said women 7 drinks per week Men get 14 Smiley Tongue

It all comes down to moderation. 

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

It does relate to nutrition.  I have heard in every diet and fitness book that alcohol is a negative and I assume mainly because it dehydrates you and it is also an anti-vitamin.  That means it negates a lot of the nutrition/vitamins you are consuming.

Take a look at my avatar, yeah I love beer.  Normally I have 1 or 2 beers a day, typically darker craft beers.  But I started back on an Atkins diet (restricting carbs) the day I got my Fitbit set up and I have not missed the beer at all.  I think the reason is the more I exercise and sweat the more I just really crave water and want to rehydrate.  The smallest amount of wine makes me super dehydrated and sometimes gives me migranes.  Beer to a smaller degree.  To me working up to a daily 3 - 5 mile run (I am mostly still walking a brisk 4 miles a day at the moment) is incompatible with drinking alcohol.

As soon as I get fitter and skinnier I think I'll go back to a single pint on the weekend but probably not daily.  I want to get rid of this shelf on my belly and no going back once it's gone.

Best Answer

Everything with care, just be aware. Having a little treat once in a while is actually good like some wine by dinner if it's a special occasion or just desiring to have a glass of wine depending what dinner is.. little treats can prevent binge eating which happens when being restricted to much.

Denying your favourite food, or can't have this & that.. eventually going to have but much more, rather than allowing having a smaller portion with care in the moment..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good article.  A lot of the tips that would apply to drinking too much also apply to eating too much (or doing too much of anything).  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Beer is the reason I need to go to the gym everydaySmiley Wink...

Best Answer

Some people can control their alcohol intake and therefore drinking in moderation may be a sensible option. I however cannot. If I have a drink I cannot stop until I am very drunk, its like an insatiable thirst. I am fine if I have nothing to drink and I dont have withdrawls - its just for me there is no such thing a one drink. It is far more sensible that I abstain. My health is definately better too as if I dont drink as I am in a better frame of mind.

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel. TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE. Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey, and appreciate where you are at this moment instead of focusing on how far you have to go.
Best Answer

I didn't want to turn this into an AA session, but very good discussion....  Keep them comingSmiley Wink

Best Answer

I am European- we drink. however, to me, the calories are not worth it, so I don't drink every day. I also don't drink to get drunk, I drink because it tastes good, so one or two is more than enough. I also don't "mix" drinks where you may as well eat a bag of sugar. there are health benefits to drinking wine and alcohol is not an enemy. but really it comes down to personal choice and cultural norms. cheers!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Your right one drink was never enough. I was searching for a better feeling. I just didnt no I already had it. When I god sober I found it and now I will never go back

Best Answer

Would you lose weight? Probably , depending on how much you drink. Alcohol has calories.  I personally prefer to eat most of my calories than drink (smoothies are an exeption!)

Would you be healthier? Yes and no.  Light alcohol conumption of drier red wine and beer do contain antioxidants. Interestingly, Most of the areas in the world with high populations of centarians (people aged 100+), called "blue zones" do report a moderate wine consumptions  Actually very few do not.  However this is roughly 4 oz of wine per day for women, 6oz for men. Most people drink way more of this when they pour just 1 glass.  If you drink much more than this, (no saving all 7 servings until Sat does not work!) than the negatives outweight the benefits.  We all know the negatives of alcohol. But basically after this, it is a toxin and a carcinogen.  

I personally love red wine and pair a small glass with dinner about 4 times weekly. I do not drink to get buzzed.

Best Answer
The problem could be solves if there was a test to see which group of people are at risk
 Lawrence William Johnson
Best Answer

Of course you would.

Alcohol is a drug, and it's bad for your muscles, blood circulation, metabolism and everything else in your body.

If you completely quit drinking, you will feel an increase of performance.

Cheers.

Best Answer

Too much of anything will cause trouble. Personally, I don't drink because: 1) I'm too cheap to go out; 2) My endometriosis medicine gets a wonky effect with alcohol; 3) I absolutely hate being hungover; 4) The sugar equivalent of the drinks I like is like eating a bag of pure sugar.  

That being said, a glass of wine with a fancy dinner; a vodka + juice for socializing or a hot toddy when I have a cold are good elements that warm me up and don't bug me afterwards. 

Now; my cousin has been having some problems like these; she walks, sometimes goes to the gym and tries to eat healthy. However, drinking every night to the limit has caused an accelerated weight gain and sugar problems, not to mention the actual effects of the morning after a huge bender. 

So yeah, no drinks for me. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

@Nomad92 wrote:

Of course you would.

Alcohol is a drug, and it's bad for your muscles, blood circulation, metabolism and everything else in your body.

If you completely quit drinking, you will feel an increase of performance.

Cheers.

This

Ethanol is a toxin..period. The 'moderate use' studies may show 'no inferiority' compared with abstinence, but the data for 'a little is GOOD for you' is shaky at best.

I miss my wine with dinner, but I'm in no rush to start it again. Too many good things have happened since I stopped it altogether. R

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
For me I am healthier and happier not drinking. 😎

Best Answer