Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I be healthier if I quit drinking?

I didn’t know where to post this, but let’s pretend it relates to nutrition:

Would I be healthier if I quit drinking?

Just in case, it’s about drinking (or not drinking) alcohol, not water  Smiley Wink

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44
I'm with you on this. My husband and I drank wine every night, more than we should. We told ourselves it was "to relax after a hard day". We knew we should cut back severely a but lacked the willpower to do so. Perhaps we were enablers.

I decided to work on a heather way of life and invested in a Fitbit and planned to track every morsel that went into my mouth in order to lose weight as well (that included tracking wine).

Then the next week the unthinkable happened. In the middle of the night on his way to the rest room after a night of drinking wine, hubby fell and broke his hip. What a wake up call. We poured out every bottle of wine in the house when he came home from the hospital and we refuse to let one single bottle come back. Wish us luck that we continue to stay alcohol free and follow a heathy way of life. So far so good but it's only been a month and hubby has a long road to recovery from his injury.
Best Answer

I quit drinking 15 years ago. I don't miss it at all.

"Why are we here? Because we're here." - Neil Peart
Best Answer

I heard a glass of wine every day is good for blood circulation. A lot of people in Europe drink wine at lunch time. I don't, but that's what I heard! Smiley Happy Also, if you drink... make sure to not drive please! Smiley LOL

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

@Dominique this article was super interesting - thanks for sharing! 

Everyone definitely has a personal preference or story when it comes to alcohol consumption. For me, I find myself just having a beer or glass of wine a few days during the week, and having 1-2 on Friday or Saturday. I love waking up and going for a hike or run on weekend mornings, so I try not to drink too much. The worst part about going out on the weekend, even if I don't drink, is getting to bed so late. It really messes me up the next day, sometimes more than drinking would!

Best Answer

LarryLakes - I've never heard this take on curbing or stop drinking, but I like it.  Thanks

Best Answer
To my new friends i don't drink beer or alcohol is love my coke cola is my favorite drink
Missy M. as@ nkotblove
Best Answer

I prefer iced tea, but beer is good though Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
@Dominique,

If you stop consuming alcohol, then yes, you will get much healthier. Maybe not happier, precisely, but definitely more healthy.

@SantiR @nkotblove I prefer green tea 🍵
Best Answer

Give youself some time. It takes your body sometime to get the drug out of your system. 3 to 4 weeks. Your brain takes 6 to 12 months. And get yourself a higher power God , maybe a sun god , Allai, a good women's You have what they call in the AA world as PMS. Don't ever give up.
I will be more threw happy to help anyone who wants to stop.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Certainly it will help. It's nothing but empty calories. If you have a fitness goal in your mind do try giving up alcohol for sometime. I have recently stopped drinking alcohol as i have to accomplish a fitness goal till my birthday. So far its been more than 30 days and trust  me initial days are the toughest if you are one of those habitual weekend drinkers. As you cross the 15-20 day mark, you feel good about your body, the strength training in the gymnaisium starts showing some more than expected results on your body. The fat percentage really lowers down. If you are thinking about it. Go for it. My only advice to you would be take everyday as a target- write down your goal on a blackboard or something which will keep reminding that "You can do it". Take care and Cheers 🙂 

Abhijeet Vaishnav-Fitness Consultant
Best Answer
I'd most likely feel better about myself if I didn't drink as much as I do when I go out. I generally have about 10 Bacardi and Diet Coke. It's really not good. I don't usually drink more than once a week. So it's not healthy.

I've made serious caloric cut backs the last couple of weeks and increased my activity, even if it is only walking a bit more, but I think I will take a weekend or two off the booze as a starting point starting with this weekend.
Best Answer

What I found out over the last year is that drinking too much and eating to much may be related to being 'sugar sensitive', meaning those of us that are react to sugar and alcohol differently. This would include anything made of refined flours as well. These things are akin to taking an opioid. I quit drinking in April of 2015. My biggest plague was my new addiction to sugar. Instead of losing weight, though I was faithful with my steps, exercise, and not drinking, I gained. I had sugar hangovers that were the same as alcohol one's. I was thinking of food constantly, constantly hungry and was miserable. I read several books, the most memorable being 'Poataoes not Prosac'. I have since eliminated all added sugars and white starch. And I feel amazing. The weight is coming off, I feel better and my moods have stabilized. Most alcoholics are also sugar addicts. Give it a try

Best Answer

You are right. But I dont't have a thing for sweet tasting products and ever since i have cut down on the regular sugar and other fast absorbing carbs from my diet- i get this really strange craving in the night to have something sweet. The cravings have realy gone up since i stopped drinking alcohol. At times i do manage it with one tbsp of Peanut butter 🙂 but i am really exercising my brain to have a control on that. Next i think i am soon going to add Caesin post my dinner m ixed with water to make me feel sated till the morning. 

Abhijeet Vaishnav-Fitness Consultant
Best Answer

Yes. Alcoholic beverages, in moderation, occasionally - which means a glass of wine or two OR a beer or two  - every few weeks isn't that big of a deal. You start putting that down in higher doses and more frequently, it would depend on your individual body how well your body would handle that. 

My inclination is, Yes, of course you'd be healthier to avoid alcoholic beverages. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

Thanks for the article!  Not fair men always get more than women  Smiley Very Happy

Said women 7 drinks per week Men get 14 Smiley Tongue

We are just more efficient! Men are sport cars and we are priuses. 😛

Best Answer

First of all I would like to say the very fact that you are posing this question is absolutely wonderful.  The first step in learning about yourself is to pose a question and then do your research.  Applaud yourself for bringing up a subject that so many of us struggle with either directly, indirectly, or both.  

A little back ground:  I come from a long line of alcoholics.  I was born into a family where polishing off a 6 pack of "kool-aid" before dinner was a typical day.  My family cannot go to an event without planning ahead for alcohol and will not attend "dry" functions (unless there's a parking lot of course - where the beer is ice cold waiting for them).  If we lived in a dry county, my family would probably get arrested for selling moonshine and then end up doing the same thing in jail.  They all have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and are considered "obese."  

Let me put it ths way, my nickname "Mehi" came from my grandpa who was drunk at the time.  He'd say "Mehi-lissa go get me a beer."  Then, he'd get so drunk he shortened it to just "Mehi."  I've been called that ever since I can remember.

Alcohol has gotten in the way of many functions I wish my family could have attended growing up.  Most of the time I was happy they stayed home because they were a bit embarrassing in public.  I can remember a few bar fights when I was a child.  I also remember sleeping in them and I can tell anyone (to this day) where a bar is in any city in south Texas.  

Now that I am older (mid-30's), I realized that I didn't want to be like them.  I didn't want my children thinking that it was normal to always have a drink in your hand.  I wanted them to know that drinking and driving is absolutely wrong no matter which family member they see do it.  Some of my family members think that just because they haven't killed anyone that they aren't doing anything wrong.  Since my family doesn't agree with me, it has definitely put a strain on my relationships with them.  It has been very difficult to maintain a relationship with many of them, but I don't want to compromise my morals and values just so my children can have a relationship with them.  It is a situation where everyone loses in one way or another.

My mother finally saw the light when she had 2 strokes back to back earlier this year.  She drank like a fish, smoked like a freight train, and ate what ever she want without realizing the consequences.  Now she is temporarily disabled, cannot work until she recovers, living with me, and was forced by her health issues to give up drinking, smoking, and her bad eating habits.  It took her almost dying for her to realize the consequences of what she was doing to herself.  

This was my question,

Does it really take a close call with death for people (including me) to find balance?

I'm not someone who goes to extremes.  I don't want to tell myself that it's all or nothing.  I didn't want my mother to get to that point either.  However, that is the direction life took her.  She had to give it all up because she couldn't find a healthy middle ground.

Can you?  Can I?

My mother doesn't drink, stopped smoking cold turkey, works out, and has done her best to eat as healthy as she can.  I am so proud of her accomplishments that I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.  She used to have her reservations about my life style (of chosing not to drink and wanting to eat healthy), but she has finally come on board to getting as healthy as she can.  

What has she learned?

The empty calories in beer and the extra carbs are stored on her body.  She told me that it's not worth the extra weight gain and she'd rather wait until cheat day (every Friday).  When Friday rolls around, she just doesn't feel like drinking.  She said when she tries to work out the next day after drinking that her skin smells and she sweats too much.

What she doesn't realize is that drinking raises your blood pressure, which makes your heart beat harder, which could lead to another stroke or an actual heart attack.  

It is so amazing to witness someone who was so set in her ways for several decades finally breaking the family curse.  One that I didn't want handed down to me or my chidren.

My advice is to know your limits.  Try to find a balance.  Reward yourself for good behavior.  Talk about your struggles with someone who understands.  But most of all, love yourself for your failures as much as your successes.  Nobody in the world would know what a success was unless they have tasted failure.  

As I tell my son all the time, "It's not about what you did wrong.  It's about what you do to make it right."

Best of luck, my apologies for the book!

Best Answer

Wow what a story and I really do think you should publish your story in a book form or something.  I know it seems like some of us can only crush our demons by absolutely hitting rock bottom but your kids have you as a very strong role model and no doubt they will not need to confront this particular demon.  My kids (late teens to mid twenties) and their peers are not at all interested in drugs, alcohol or smoking and I think it's because they have many more role models now who are living cleaner lives and so there are clear alternatives.  I really admire how you broke out of that dysfunctional family dynamic even though it means having to minimize your contact with those family members.  Toxic people are toxic regardless if they are related to us or not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have a feeling cutting out alcohol is quite obviously a healthier choice but i love to have my bottle of wine... or two... or three T_T but i do moderate how often i drink; i set aside one day a week where i can just relax (post workout lol) and have wine and movies even though i know that alcohol involves quite a bit of calories and post drinking recovery, but that's what i choose to deal with so as to enjoy one night! :]

Best Answer
0 Votes

Gave it up years ago.  It was the only way I could be successful in cutting out the cigarettes (cold turkey).  

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has been mentioned before but everything in moderation! I used to drink a lot with my friends and then suddenly, at the beginning of the new year (2017), I stopped drinking. I went a month and decided to drink a cup of (lager) beer and then after a few more weeks had soju and a bottle of beer 

It's all in moderation. I was happy to realize that I didn't need to drink to have fun. My liver, wallet, and overall my body are thankful for my decision to cut down drinking.

Note I said "cut down". I enjoy drinking and I know there WILL be times where I will drink with friends so I cannot stop drinking all together. But again, everything in moderation. Ideally not drinking alcohol at all would be the healthiest option but even in moderation it ain't so bad!

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer