Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you log coffee as water in take or only water?

I only add water to my water log but I drink 3-4 coffees a day, would this also count towards my water intake and be valid?

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Hi @SunsetRunner Welcome to the forums. There are many discussion about this topic, that can be found HERE. I hope you find the information interesting. 

Good luck on your journey to a heathier lifestyle. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

My opinion is that yes, it counts as water intake. If you add cream and sugar it also counts as food intake. Learn to drink your coffee black and it's just colored water (with the added bonus of caffeine).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think its all up to you. Technically it is just warm water in a way, but if you wanted to track literally just water then by all means, do it how you like. I like to just log pure water, but again you don't have to, seeing as how other drinks contain water and that water is being used right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't as it is technically a diuretic so it will dehydrate you rather than hydrate.

Best Answer

Its a personal choice. I myself do not. As I try to get a lot more water in. But that's me

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

You have to put things in perspective. When considering drinking, what really matters is:

• caloric drinks vs. non-caloric drinks
  • alcoholic drinks vs. non-alcoholic drinks

When comparing black coffee and water, you are really comparing a non-caloric, non-alcoholic drink to another non-caloric, non-alcoholic drink. Whether you want to log coffee as water or not is up to you, it won’t make much of a difference. And your water intake (with or without coffee) isn’t going to have a make or break effect on your diet, health etc. anyway.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Perhaps this is off the topic, but my issue actually is not whether to log coffee or tea as calories intake or water intake.  I usually drink black coffee and green tea so calories are minimum.  However I find it annoying when I log the occasional masala chai with honey and whitener or coffee with sugar and milk as food and THEN I also have to log it as water.  I am suggesting the Fitbit app to log any beverage automatically as water as well in one step.  If I am logging I drank a mug (8 oz or 250 ml) of masala chai with honey and whitener, the app should be able to add the calories AND update the amount of water intake.

Best Answer

@sko_tang wrote:

... and THEN I also have to log it as water.

or you could simply choose NOT to log it as water. You would be kind of "short-changed", in terms of water consumption, but what harmful consequences would it have for you / what master plan of yours would that derail?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perhaps my master plan is just to make Fitbit app more intelligent and more user friendly?

I am taken aback you would suggest "NOT to log it as water."  There is a reason why Fitbit has a feature to log water intake, otherwise they would not have put it out, right?  Same as there is a reason why Fitbit has a feature to log calories intake.

A lot of Fitbit users are a bit OCD.  They want to know reliably (within reason) how many steps walked, how many floors climbed, what their current HRs are, how many hours they slept etc.  And they want the info immediately available on their wrists!  Isn't these all the reasons why Fitbit users bought their trackers?  Fitbit makes different trackers and app to allow users to easily track and log all kinds of statistics.  Fitbit will not ask the users to wear a separate pedometer, use a watch and manually measure the HR or use a notepad to jot down start and end of sleep time.  Fitbit is trying to satisfy the needs and hopefully improve users' lifestyle.

So I hope the suggestion to log caloric beverage and update the water intake log at the same time does not sound out of touch or unreasonable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Drinking plain water and drinking coffee have very different effects on the human body.

Best Answer

You should not consider drinking coffee as drinking a certain amount of liquid per day. For example, I drink coffee drinks very often, and specifically for this I ordered myself the best latte machine. Everyone in my family loves coffee and various coffee drinks such as latte, cappuccino coffee with various syrups, and much more. Usually, I do not allow my daughter to drink black coffee, as it is harmful to the young body, and I make lattes for her every morning and I do not see anything harmful in it. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. You shouldn't add tea and coffee to your journal. Try to stop drinking coffee and drinking water instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Coffee" is not a diuretic, caffeine is. The small amount of caffeine in a coffee is ingested alongside a large amount of water. On balance, it is far more accurate to consider coffee as water in than water out.

Best Answer

I add water to my log. I drink decaf coffee

Best Answer
0 Votes

I log water, tea, coffee, flavored water.  I even log soup or watery foods.  It's all water.

Best Answer
I only log my water intake
Best Answer
0 Votes

For me personally, I don't log my morning coffee, but I do log any herbal tea I have during the day.  

To each their own.  🙂

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarciM wrote:

Hi @SunsetRunner Welcome to the forums. There are many discussion about this topic, that can be found HERE. I hope you find the information interesting. 

Good luck on your journey to a heathier lifestyle. 

A healthy lifestyle is a whole philosophy, and it's worth it!

Best Answer
0 Votes