Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can someone solve this mystery?

ANSWERED

I've done well with the elimination of junk food from my diet. I do allow myself a small cup of ice cream (5 oz. dish) on my nights off from work. My mystery is this, the container says a 1/2 cup serving equals 150 calories. If I put this into the Fitbit it calculates a 4 ounce serving as 254 calories but a 1/2 cup as 150 calories. Isn't a 1/2 cup and 4 ounces the same? And says a 5 ounce serving equals 317 calories. I think a lot of the calorie information that is being generated is skewed. If someone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

fitbit's ever growing list of food choices is user based, not everyone is exactly on point with it and some people i'm sure are not exactly honest with themselves or make honest mistakes. for the most part as a calorie counter it's incumbent on you to make sure that what you are eating adds up in your plan. the other day i made a shrimp salad for example,  I was lazy so i put it in the search tool and got some crazy loaded saltfest. but i knew for a fact I did not put even a pinch of salt in, (no really who puts an entire tablespoon of salt on a salad, that ruins the flavor!) my best advice is put in the most accurate info you can and stick to your guns, you know what you are putting in yourself.   Cheering for you Babcot. 

keep on doing what you do. enjoy that little bit of icecream the labels don't lie 😄 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Sounds to me something went wrong when you put this info into the FitBit. When you add a custom food, you can actually create a serving size of 1/2 cup. Maybe that works better for you.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

fitbit's ever growing list of food choices is user based, not everyone is exactly on point with it and some people i'm sure are not exactly honest with themselves or make honest mistakes. for the most part as a calorie counter it's incumbent on you to make sure that what you are eating adds up in your plan. the other day i made a shrimp salad for example,  I was lazy so i put it in the search tool and got some crazy loaded saltfest. but i knew for a fact I did not put even a pinch of salt in, (no really who puts an entire tablespoon of salt on a salad, that ruins the flavor!) my best advice is put in the most accurate info you can and stick to your guns, you know what you are putting in yourself.   Cheering for you Babcot. 

keep on doing what you do. enjoy that little bit of icecream the labels don't lie 😄 

Best Answer

I scan the bar code which matched the info on package but when I changed from a 1/2 cup to 4 ounces is when thing went screwy. Just seems to me the two should equal the same amount of calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Junoberries,

How long have you been a jogger. I try to get out there about 3 times a week and jog 3 miles (5k). I've noticed the backside of my ankle and the area just above but below the calf muscle are achey. You think just taping it up would help? I hate to put off doing the runs as it took me awhile to get where I'm at. 

Best Answer

On and off I've been a jogger/long distance hiker my whole life, on here it ranked me one after a few hours. from a sports med perspective I'd recommend using a tensor bandage while active, the tensor should allow you to fit two fingers under it but feel snug not tight. (tape would also work great!) as for the aches, naproxin an over the counter noninflammatory works. you could also try a hot bath with Epsom salts followed by a cold compress with an ice pack to ease the swelling. if the problem continues see your family doctor. You are better safe than sorry Babcot. all things considered it would be also a wise idea to switch exercises up or have a day where you do things at a slower pace. there is no golden rule for jogging and if you are hurting a'lot take a day for rest. from experience having grown up with tendinitis the best thing you can do in that case is extra sleep with your leg elevated on a puffy pillow.  from what you are describing to me it sounds like inflammation of the Achilles tendon. 

avoid hard impacts to your feet and don't push yourself harder then you can go.

it's very important to avoiding permanent damage! 
that said Go GET EM TIGER! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

on a side note, for doing compresses, transitioning from a hot bath to using a cold ice pack is strongly recommended, also you may use a heating pack and alternate every fifteen minutes, make sure to avoid direct contact with the ice pack on your skin, a thin piece of paper towel or fabric works fine. never leave a pack on for more than fifteen minutes because it can cause vascular injury to your capillaries

Best Answer
0 Votes