Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does any liquid consumed count as water

ANSWERED

I was wondering if juice, coffee and tea (herbal or otherwise) count in the water consumption?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I wonder about that too. I think water is there for our hydration status. However beverages such as alcohol and I think coffee can give a "diuretic" effect and therefore cause dehydration.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

I wonder about that too. I think water is there for our hydration status. However beverages such as alcohol and I think coffee can give a "diuretic" effect and therefore cause dehydration.

Best Answer

What I have always heard is "NO".  My doc say plain water is different than things with sugar, caffine, etc.  He say to drink Water, and not to count other liquids as water.

Best Answer

I don't count coffee or alcohol.  I don't count tea.  I wouldn't count soda if I drank it.  I DO count juice and herbal tea if it doesn't have a diuretic effect in whatever the herbal tea would contain.... 

Flex Fanatic
Perhaps I am stronger than I think. - Thomas Merton
Best Answer

Thank you!  This has been always the gist of general conversation with people and I have only been recording my water only.  I guess, I will continue to be sure.  I do not drink juice and pop but I enjoy a coffee in the morning.  I had heard you have to double up on the water to replace the dehydration it causes.  Cheers

Best Answer

A new study, though, shows that for regular coffee drinkers, coffee does not act as a diuretic. I know this is contrary to popular belief, but that's the newest science on the subject. This only applies to "experienced" coffee drinkers who are used to the caffeine habit. Those folks new to coffee or who only enjoy it on occasion do experience a diuretic effect from it. 

Best Answer

Our bodies use all liquids.  Including liquids in whole fruit and veggies.  So, I count all liquids (they are mostly water, afterall) except alcohal.

Food is fuel, not friends.
Best Answer

I was wondering this too. Water bores me except aftera workout so I do a lot of Crystal Light type powders to my water. I can add Crystal Light servings to my food history but why doesn't it count this towards my water intake also? Should I manually add these servings in as water also? 

Best Answer

I would count the water and the powder.  Afterall, it takes both to make a drink!

Best Answer

it looks like the app has a premixed with water version of the powder. still trying to deipher powder only so I can log them seperately. thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried just scanning the bar code?  Or if it has no calories, don't worry about it, just count as water. Or you could enter it as a "recipe" and input the container info in manually.  

Best Answer

I looked on this forum to see if people thought that vitamin type waters with no calories would count as water.  Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems the consenses would be that they do.  Might be a nice solution for all you water hatersSmiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Diet Soda and Daily Water Requirement

"You may be surprised to know that because beverages such as diet soda are composed primarily of water, they do count towards your daily water requirement. However, you must take into consideration diet soda additives such as sodium and caffeine that may actually remove water from your body. Because of this, it's crucial that you avoid relying solely on diet soda to meet your daily recommended water intake."

I got the quoted information above from the Livestrong Website.  I also saw basically the same information on several websites. Newer research is showing that all water based liquids, including sodas, tea, coffee, etc all are a significant part of needed daily water.  If there is caffeine present that will offset slightly the liquid intake, but the amount of water in these beverages far exceeds the "caffeine penalty". They should ideally NEVER be the major portion of needed daily water, but they certainly contribute to it.  I  drink caffeine free diet Pepsi, a can or so each day, and it just counts as 12 ounces of water. If you want more information try Googling something such as "Do water based drinks such as soda, tea and coffee count as water intake".

Best Answer

Actually alcoholic beverages count as well.  The question is how much. They're even trickier because the alcohol does trigger a diuretic response. The (admittedly quite cursory) search I did on the Internet indicates that the underlying science isn't here yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was actually interested in knowing whether FitBit automatically adds things from my Food log to my Water Consumed log.  The answer appears to NO.

Why I thing this: I did the simple experiment of adding 500ml of bottled water to my breakfast log, but the Water Consumed log didn't change.

Best Answer

Yes, any liquid counts as "water" intake.  Whether you want to log water separately is up to you.  There is no medical basis for a recommendation of 8 glasses of water.  The original recommendation was a minimum of 64 ounces of liquid (including liquid in foods, soup, water, juice) etc.

However, the brain can sometimes misinterpret thirst as hunger, so extra water may help curb apetite.

Best Answer

Whatever you drink is filtered through the kidneys. Diet drinks contain things which the kidneys filter out. Tea coffee etc (including herbal teas) also go through the kidney filtering. Water does contain some minerals but far less than any other drink so has more of a flushing effect on the kidneys. For that reason alone I prefer not to count anything other than water in my daily intake.

"Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose!"

Best Answer

In a sense, our bodies do use all liquid and separate the good vs the bad in the body. Just to be safe though, I don't personally count anything that isn't plain, good ol' water as water intake. If I did, i'd be drinking coffee and soda all day dehydrating myself before my weight lifting sessions. The body would let me know too! Smiley LOL

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

If it hydrates, and does not have caffeine, I would add it. Personally I would NOT add juice, if I drank it, or soda. I believe the goal is we should all drink water. 🙂

Best Answer

I have to disagree with you on one point since I drink decaf coffee twice a day that is a liquid it is 100% water or let's say 99.9% so to me that is part of my peach ton take I have to disagree with you on one point since I drink decaf coffee twice a day that is a liquid it is 100% water or that's a 99.9% so the me that is part of my H2O intake other than that I drink water with a little bit of flavor added to it I don't see how you can say plain water is the only thing that counts as a liquid as stated before my soup is a liquid the oranges I eat her liquid The Grapes I eat are liquid although I don't count them on the liquid intake highly stated earlier decaffeinated coffee is a liquid 100% in my eyes

Best Answer