Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does any liquid consumed count as water

ANSWERED

I was wondering if juice, coffee and tea (herbal or otherwise) count in the water consumption?

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

I'm right with you Steff!

I let my kidneys and bladder decide if I'm drinking enough, and with my penchant for tea with organic fat free cow's milk (4 mugs per day) and barista style instant coffee with organic 2% cow's milk (5 mugs per day) plus 8-10 portions of raw fruit and vegetables I can unashamedly report excellent health in the renal department!

I actively dislike the taste (or lack of it!) of naked water. I take little or no pleasure from any cold beverage - nope! - not even booze, so tea and coffee are my real hydration favourites. I sleep well, my skin is supple, my pee is straw coloured and there's plenty of it!  Surely that must be a factor that medicos and health advisers can't ignore!!!

I live with a wonderful man who has never had a hot drink in his life.  He drinks cold water by the pint and seems to relish it. We derive fluids from myriad sources and pleasures ditto!  

Time to wake up, smell the coffee, drink it and pop to the loo!!!!!

Best Answer

Can't you just scan the per serving dry mix product, say Crystal Light for example, and that will give you your "food allowance" figures. Then, simply figure out how many oz of water you used to make it and log that under your water section? After all, water has zero count for anything so any calories has to be attributed to the Crystal Light or whatever you may be using as the mixer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration. WebMD

Best Answer

Tugbuster, you have made my day!

This is MY mantra too, and it's very pleasing indeed to hear someone else say it!

Happy bunny, me!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I HAD to check as I drink a pot of coffee in the morning and another pot at night and I walk 8+ miles a day. I'm only drinking (4) on average 16oz. Bottled waters a day and that really is not enough if coffee doesn't count. 👍🏼👍🏼
Best Answer
0 Votes
I HAD to check as I drink a pot of coffee in the morning and another pot at night and I walk 8+ miles a day. I'm only drinking (4) on average 16oz. Bottled waters a day and that really is not enough if coffee doesn't count. 👍🏼👍🏼
Best Answer
0 Votes

Up to you and your goals. Pick something that forwards your own goals and be consistent with it. 

I personally only count water without anything in it (not counting the occasional salt and electrolyte powder if I'm active on a hot day and sweating a lot). 

Yes everything you consume has liquid in it and your body doesn't really care where water comes from as long as it gets enough. 

BUT. MY personal goal is also to change and reinforce good habits in myself. Hitting all green on my fitbit dashboard is a reinforcement for these goals but if I fudge what I permit as trackable then I'm only hurting my own self. Drinking plain water discourages me from getting into the habit of needing all sorts of flavoring in everything I consume, not liking plain water is something you can train yourself into and out of. I found when I started drinking more flavored and sparkly things some years ago I started slipping and more and more of them became things with calories and I gained weight. I also try to keep my coffee intake from increasing, I like coffee and can easily turn it into a raging habit if I were to allow it, the more coffee I drink the less plain water I drink, the more plain water I drink the less coffee I drink naturally. Drinking plain water keeps me in the habit of drinking calorie-free water and it lowers appetite and maintains hydration.  

BUT for someone who is still working toward that it can be good to choose healthy concessions. Say you don't yet like water or have a raging soda habit. Then maybe you count any plain water + herbal teas + water flavored with things that have under 5 calories per 12 oz or whatever it is will promote your goals. 

Remember to that it is best to work on improving 1-2 areas of your health and behavior at a time. For example If you are working on increasing your fitness then just make sure you are getting enough liquid for now to support the increased workouts and then once you have a solid workout schedule going work on improving the choices for hydration... 

Best Answer

Some people just make their lives WAY to complicated. Time to go for a walk. 561992CA-3E94-42B1-B909-823D33602670.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Beer and similar drinks do not cause dehydration. Think about it: Were it such, you could, technically, die from dehydration by drinking only beer/tea/coffee. For reference, see for instance Horizon: Is Binge Drinking Really That Bad (clip: https://youtu.be/CZbnKinuppQ). Basically, the idea of drinking being dehydrating is based off of one experiment in the 40s with one subject, ie not-really-science.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any item high on fluids, I add as fluids as well. There are some very good tables to be found containing the water levels for numerous food items. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This answer is so well thought out and articulated. Good old common sense is always in demand.

Best Answer

i have difficulty with swallowing liquids due to medical condition and i also have a 24/7 catheter in place. all liquids even thickened ones, ice cream, jelly, custard, sauces like gravy, melon, grapes, water ice lollies, ice it self all add to water intake! i tend to drink 1.5 L of thickened water with strawberry and watermelon sugar free squash in it, a good load of grapes or melon and occasionally one of the others, yet i empty out approx 3L of liquid per day from my catheter bag`! this tells me all liquid in all food counts as it all goes through the kidneys. water is the flusher that cleans out the kidneys but so too does other types just not quite as effectively. 

Best Answer

Contrary to the belief that coffee and tea are diuretics...this has been debunked as being a fallacy.

See this article:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anything that contains sugar should be logged as a meal

Best Answer
0 Votes

alcohol will certainly dehydrate you, caffeine in coffee might have a small diuretic effect but would be minimal and would serve as a fluid replacement - a can of beer would NOT

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, If you in the desert and thirsty(dehydrated). What liquid would you choose? My choice would be anything available. So I would count coffee, tea etc., or anything the body absorbs to survive. I guess the best answer was already mentioned. "let your thirst, kidneys and bladder be your guide" 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with this! I think it can only be counted as water if it has zero calories or sugars, and does not process in a dehydrating way. My doctor says that zero cal flavoring doesn't count either, because the chemical compound isn't always separated in the body and instead is absorbed. He believed that carbonated water, naturally flavored (infused) water and plane jane H2O are the only things that should count towards any water consumption goal.

B. Haapi
Best Answer
0 Votes

Suggestion:  Think NO, and drink more water instead of other liquids, or at least, in addition to other liquids.  Water first.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

By following that logic you could drink a gallon of milk, and a gallon of Coke, and a gallon of beer* and a gallon of tea  and a gallon of wine* and a freaking gallon of squash, and still not have hydrated adequately, needing to fill up with a couple of quarts (based on gender, weight, exercise) of water. Obviously, that is flawed.

*For the sake of argument, let us say it is non-alcoholic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Coffee can count as long as you keep it under 4 cups a day. Alcohol doesn't count because you will pee out more than you take in. Generally, double the amount will come out as urine. Technically juices in oranges, apples and the etc would count but who really knows how much juice was in that apple. If I had a V-8 I will count that. It doesn't have to be an exact science. 

Best Answer
0 Votes