Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does any liquid consumed count as water

ANSWERED

I was wondering if juice, coffee and tea (herbal or otherwise) count in the water consumption?

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68
Politely curios...where did you come up with the 4 cup limit on coffee? I’m a seaman and drink an average of 10 8oz. cups of coffee a day (hey, it’s a boat / long hours / fatigue thing).
Best Answer
0 Votes

The evidence for alcohol being a dehydrating liquid is, according to what I have learned, a single study from the late 40s, having a single test subject; it can hardly be called a study. Experiments (current) demonstrate that it is not true, full stop. This idea seems to be about as stuck in the public mind and as little truthful as the idea of zero-calory food. I could point you in the direction of studies of so prompted, but not right now (writing on my mobile).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CannedMan: it looks like @tugbuster is asking about coffee (regarding a claim made by @babcot, not you), not alcohol.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Indeed, I am referring to coffee, not alcohol.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe my answer was in reply to this reply. Even though the thread originally was with regards to coffee, it quickly developed into a thread discussing the misconception that various non-water liquids can be dehydrating. As an early poster referenced, it has been scientifically debunked a long time ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CannedMan wrote:

I believe my answer was in reply to this reply.

When answering posts in a crowded topic (such as this one, which was started 4.5 years ago and spans over 3 pages), it’s a good idea to quote at least part of the post you’re replying to, in order to avoid confusion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

My apologies. I do, though, find this forum far more messy to navigate than others I frequent.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That has been debunked as far as coffee and tea, as well as other liquids, are concerned. While alcohol is not a source of hydration, Other fluids that are not exactly "healthy", do have hydration bennifits despite their diuretic status.

Best Answer

Coffee and tea do have hydrating effects. They may not be healthy sources, but do add to hydration. The main ingredient in these drinks is in fact "water". Fruits and vegetables, also contribute. Watermelon is about 90% water. Citrus and other melons such as hunnydoos and cantaloupe are also good sources. You can dilute sugary beverages with water to lesson their adverse effects. While water is always you best source, other liquids do count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Accouding to Web MD coffee and tea counts as water. Alcohol isva diuretic  and should not be counted. You should add an equal amount of water for every ounce of alcohol.

Best Answer

Not what I  read on a

WEB Md. However my son who is a md thinks Web md doesn't require a medical school or test.lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

And I heard that you need to drink the same amount of water if you have a coffee/tea/caffeinated drink and double up if you have alcohol. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some drinks are diuretic so they have the opposite to desired effect of hidration.

"Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose!"

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think coffee and tea count the same as water liquid. However alcohol does not count as the same as water liquid and must be offset with an equal amount of water liquid.
I hope this is what your understanding is too.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
It is my understanding that coffee and tea while diuretic still count the same as water however beer while also diuretic must be offset with an equal amount of water.
I have no scientific proof of this, only repeating what I have read on this subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I always was taught that plain water is the absolute hydration.  However, I HAVE to have my morning coffee with a splash of almond milk.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m a tugboat Captain and average 2 POTS of coffee a day (so you see why I might want to include coffee as a liquid). That being said, I also drink (4) 16oz of bottled water a day because I realize coffee is a diuretic.
Best Answer
0 Votes
My Dr/nutritionist recommends 64 oz of liquids a day. Excess can flush out potassium he said

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmm...I take a lot of supplements and potassium, frankly, confuses me. I do not take that and my NetCalorie App says I am way under that score. 🤔. I could use some advice on that one.
Capt. Norm
Best Answer
0 Votes
From what I was told low potassium can cause leg cramps. I take a supplement.

Best Answer
0 Votes