Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

meals for prediabetics

ANSWERED

Looking for meals that would help prevent diabetes.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you are overweight the best thing you can do is lose weight.  In the fall of 2015 I had a fasting blood sugar that put me in the diabetic range.  I visited the local clinic, they talked about counting carbs and specifically not to keep them too low.  They also prescribed me metformin, which I didn't tolerate very well.  In Feb of 2016 I decided to forget the pills and the carb tracking and lose weight.  I'd have to go back to old posts to see exactly when my fasting blood sugar came back to a normal level, but I'm thinking I'd lost about 10% of my body weight at that time.  Even though I've lost a lot of weight I still have a lot to lose but my sugars are back to a normal level.

If you don't have weight to lose, consider looking into the glycemic index of foods.  Items with lower numbers will cause your blood sugar to spike less.  I only mention that because sometimes the items are surprising.  Cherries (22) are better than bananas (51).  Peanuts (14) are better than pretzels (83).

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I've cut out sugar and flour for the same reason to avoid diabetes and I take metphormin... it sounds tough but if you food prep its actually easier than you think... and with routine it becomes second nature...

some sample breakfasts:  

For example sometimes for breakfast I'll make a texas sized muffin using only oatbran, mashed banana, eggwhites, and two packets of your sugar substitute of choice.  

Or I'll make a flourless pancake using only eggwhites, banana, and sugarfree calorie free walden farms pancake syrup and sliced avocado on top.   

Or i'll use eggwhites and turkey bacon seasoned with cinnamon and black pepper with pineapple slices on the side  

lunches/dinners:  use rice cakes for tuna salads or egg salads instead of bread if you do need to use bread use ezekiel bread its made of sprouted grain not flour, i avoid white rice but i'll use jasmine rice and only 3oz of it cooked.  since your a guy 4 oz prob be ok.  ezekiel also makes wraps, and they're freezable if you dont use em daily or need them to last longer.  they also make a pasta.  I have gotten so used to not having bread and pasta i barely have their pasta maybe a couple times a year.  

check the first four ingredients of anything you buy and make sure there is no crap in the first four ingredients like sugar, flour, high fructose corn syrup, juice, or anything you cant really understand lol.  Eat 6x a day every 2.5-3.5 hours.  you can do it!

Best Answer
Thanks!

Brett Crawley
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are overweight the best thing you can do is lose weight.  In the fall of 2015 I had a fasting blood sugar that put me in the diabetic range.  I visited the local clinic, they talked about counting carbs and specifically not to keep them too low.  They also prescribed me metformin, which I didn't tolerate very well.  In Feb of 2016 I decided to forget the pills and the carb tracking and lose weight.  I'd have to go back to old posts to see exactly when my fasting blood sugar came back to a normal level, but I'm thinking I'd lost about 10% of my body weight at that time.  Even though I've lost a lot of weight I still have a lot to lose but my sugars are back to a normal level.

If you don't have weight to lose, consider looking into the glycemic index of foods.  Items with lower numbers will cause your blood sugar to spike less.  I only mention that because sometimes the items are surprising.  Cherries (22) are better than bananas (51).  Peanuts (14) are better than pretzels (83).

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I know this is 2 years after your post, but I have an issue being a new diabetic and trying to loose weight.  I know I need to cut the carbs for diabetes; but I have my Fitbit goal as needing to loose weight.  It indicates I need to eat more carbs and less fats and proteins to loose weight.  I just don't know what to do.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have my Fitbit goal as needing to loose weight.  It indicates I need to eat more carbs and less fats and proteins to loose weight. 

I was under the impression Fitbit’s food plan was "diet neutral": in other words, it doesn’t care what amount of each macronutrients you are eating. All it cares about should be calories (you need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight). Can you show us (e.g. via a screenshot) where it is instructing you to eat more carbs and less fats and proteins?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

IMG_0680.PNG

I'm referring to the percentages for carbs, fat & protein.  Today, so far, I'm in "the zone."  Lots of days I'm not.  I think I'll just pay attention to calories in and carb percentage for the diabetes. Does that make sense?   Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, I see. Fitbit is merely reporting the macronutrient breakdown of what you are eating. It is not "telling" (= instructing) you to eat more or less of any given macronutrient: it’s up to you to select what you are eating, based on your dietary preferences. If you have chosen to go for a low-carb diet, you should make sure you are consuming the "correct" amount of carbs, Fitbit won’t warn you you are eating too many carbs (it has no idea what type of diet you elected to eat).

AFAIK, the app only shows the breakdown of macronutrients as percentages, while the browser-based Dashboard lets you see macronutrients in grams. I know many proponents of low-carb diets (especially those who favor the most radical form, keto) prefer to use absolute amounts (grams) rather than percentages.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes