Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new vegetarian in a carnivorous family. Help

My Dr recommended that I become vegetarian because my body isn't processing the protein properly.  My family refuses to eat any of my creative dishes, which I think are amazing.  They won't eat tofu, beans, lentils, soy, etc and turn their noses up when there is no meat.  I can eat a limited amount of chicken and fish, but I'm running out of options.  Any suggestions?

With God, all things are possible!

Blessings to you for a fantastic day!
Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

Have you tried something like Quorn fake mince meat?

You can try something like that in chilli con carne, spaghetti sauce, or as a nacho topping ect and they probably won't even notice the taste/texture difference.

You can also try Indian curries like dahl makhani, aloo palak or paneer makhani, if you make a small amount of two or three curries (some with meat) they may open up to the idea, because you're not ignoring their want for meats, that's what I did with my family when I went vegetarian and while they didn't want every meal vegetarian (meaning some nights I cooked two meals) they were much more open to the idea.

Another good Indian dish is chaats you can put vegetable samosas (you don't need to tell them) at the bottom then cover them in chopped salad vegetables yogurt, tamarind and mint sauce they are great because they are really tasty but also vegetarian friendly (you can always substitute the yogurt for something more body friendly)

Another way I managed to get around it was if I was making something like sausages and mash potato I'd fry up some vegetarian sausages for myself and cook normal sausages for them.

In my experience the best way to get through it is either not telling them what's in it, because a lot of the time people have misconceptions about what the food is like because of bad expediences or stories that it's gross. Or you make a mix of food with meat and non meat options, I know it means a bit of extra work but things like stir fry are awesome because you can cook up the vegetables and then add the meat and tofu per plate so everyone gets what they need and want.

I hope my advice helps 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

the suggestion of using Quorn products (from the supermarket freezer) is excellent. My husband who loves his meat, will happily eat Quorn products like the snitzels, sausages, chicken nuggets etc. I occasionally make a big omlet for him or potato frittata. Hope that helps a bit

Best Answer
0 Votes

You also may want to try some faux or mock -stuff  recipes.  

I made a cauliflower soup that mocked loaded baked potato.  My family swore they would hate it.  Ha, ha ! they loved it. 

Maybe try to get a little sneaky with varied side dishes ( that you can use as your main) as a way to begin bridgin the gap. 

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017
Best Answer

Its difficult to make a vegetarian version of a traditional Western menu and satisfy biased carnivores.  They will either turn up their nose - even at quorn - or eat it and complain.  The expectation for meat is rarely satisfied by non-animal substitutes (quorn is by far the closest, but that can be difficult to find).  Meatless Asian/Indian/Thai food, on the other hand is much more acceptible to most carnivores.  

But, yeah its tough pleasing people with strong predispositions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

you could try to minimize the amount of meat in dishes by not making it the centerpiece but rather a topping in a sauce over something nutritious like brown rice or quinoa.  Or even some whole grain pasta.  Also, you can reduce meat focus by making crock pot recipes with meat where it's just a component.  You could reduce your meat by just not spooning out that component in your serving.  Others who want more meat focus could make sure they spoon more of the meat.  Soups with some meat are also same concept.  If you can transition away, you can reduce it's emphasis and make whole grains and other parts of the meal more of the focus. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I love all the suggestions! Thank you so much. However, I am the only adventurous eater in my family. They are all meat and potato, while I'm the try anything at least once. They won't eat the whole grain pastas or brown rice. I've tried it all and they nearly rioted. Lol. However I did make 2 kinds of chili for Super Bowl. One for them and one for me made with ground round. I made my hubby do a blind taste test to see which one he liked better. If I hadn't put more cumin and chili powder in mine, he wouldn't have known the difference. He can't do spicy food due to his colitis. I think they'll just have to suck it up when it comes to brown rice and whole grain pasta. They'll get used to it eventually. If they want something else, they'll have to cook it. I'll sneak the quinoa in somewhere too. I love it. Lol

Best Answer

my wife doesn't like alot of the whole grains and vegetables either.  More of comfort food is here thing.  And she does most of the cooking so she's very kind to make most of it healthier.  You could always try to convince your husband for health reasons and show him the research on how how you eat will affect your energy and overall health, let alone contribute to a longer life.  It will also reduce chances of disease, cancer, etc.  If people see what unhealthy eating can do to a middle age person or later, they will often try to make some changes.  good luck.

Best Answer

Perhaps you just need to do some psychological manipulation..... if your husband is receptive, have him read something like the China Study by T. Colin Campbell, or The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler. Both books are by academics (among his credentials Kessler was FDA commisioner and Dean of a Medical School). Both books are based on common sense and reasonable observation (admittednly there are some issues with some of the data analysis methods in the China Study, but the basic message is sound).  Kessler had weight issues throughout his life, so when he found himself with time to spare he did a lot of research on food, and why certain foods are so 'moreish' .   The China Study is an investigation into why people in undeveloped regions of China rarely suffer from diseases such as stomach/bowel cancer, whereas such diseases are becoming increasinly common in big cities where the diet is much richer in meat.

Both books had a huge impact on my thinking about food.  Even a fraction of that impact will have your husband looking seriously at what your kids eat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
He knows it's healthier for him, he doesn't like the texture. I don't taste a difference, but he does. Funny, he is riding in the cycle of hope this summer. You'd think he'd get on the bandwagon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"They'll get used to it eventually. If they want something else, they'll have to cook it."

You're spot in here. Your health is more important than their sense of 'texture'. In this day and age they should be grateful they are being cooked for, cooked healthy nutricious meals, and that you have already put significant effort into variety. They don't know how lucky they are.

Best Answer

Serve meat as a side dish.   Why do vegetarians want vegetables to taste like meat?  Don't drop a ton of bricks on me, I'm just asking.

Food is fuel, not friends.
Best Answer
I like the taste of meat but prefer not to kill animals so if veg taste
like meat it satisfies my needs
Best Answer

I kind of understand that point of liking meat.   I guess I just don't get it.  I raise my own, I butcher my own and I eat my own. 

Best Answer

@Steff.  Not trying to be mean either.  I gave up eating meat because I became lactose intolerant, which was a big blow given my love of cheese!  At that point - probably 8 years ago - I realised it would be easier to order/cook a vegan meal than try to get a dairy free meat dish. I don't want to be the person at dinner who interogates server relentlessly about ingredients - I quietly order the vegan dish. No fuss. 

Anyhow.  In the years since I stopped eating meat I've become enormosly disturbed when I see animals being treated like an unfeeling foodstuff.  I'm sure you don't mean 'farming' chickens/pigs like they are just a resource.  But.....in the past I would have agreed with your comment without hesitation.  Now I pause, and think 'really'......especially given the resources it takes to turn out a fully grown heifer! 

Best Answer

I am allergic to milk and don't eat it either (more than just lactose intolerant).  I don't raise meat like the commercial growers, admittedly.  When you do it for yourself, either raising animals or gardens, (we do both) you have a great tendancy to respect the meal and be humbled and thankful for it.  Not unlike the Native Americans, I thank the animal for sustaining my life.

I think too, I am way to lazy to be a vegetarian.  It's a lot of work getting the proper nutrition that way.  I admire that you don't interrogate a food service person, btw.  That is so awkward and difficult for everyone within hearing range.  Thank you.  I had a friend who was so obnoxious about it all that ...well I just won't go out to dinner with her and her husband.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with eating anything that is humanely raised and killed but
unfortunately there is not much of that available.
Best Answer
Yes but I am not arguing your right to eat meat. I just want my right to
eat what and when I like.I am not judging meat eaters. I don't mind what
you eat
Best Answer

I am not arguing that you don't eat right, it was curiosity that drove my question.  I do think it's very difficult to put foods together to get the proper nutrition.  As a nutritionist, I have put together diets for vegans, ovo/lacto vegetarians and piscatarians.  I just think it's really difficult.  

Best Answer
I think that to eat optimally is difficult anyway with fast foods and
sugars in everything. I think if we eat simply with good fresh foods we are
doing better than a large percentage of the public. At the same time,
modern living allows us such a vast variety of foods available that it's
easier than ever to get hold of foods to meet our nutritional needs at
moderate cost.
Best Answer