Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new vegetarian in a carnivorous family. Help

My Dr recommended that I become vegetarian because my body isn't processing the protein properly.  My family refuses to eat any of my creative dishes, which I think are amazing.  They won't eat tofu, beans, lentils, soy, etc and turn their noses up when there is no meat.  I can eat a limited amount of chicken and fish, but I'm running out of options.  Any suggestions?

With God, all things are possible!

Blessings to you for a fantastic day!
Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

I am vegan..my hubby eats meat[he buys his meat and cooks it himself]..also there are so many meatless products available now..they even satisfy my hubby!!

Best Answer

I am in your situation and just cook vegetarian for myself and meat for them. Its a pain but saves the aggravation. I dont try as hard with the meat meals so its pretty basic. Or just do vegetables for everyone and a veggie protein option for yourself and meat for them.

Best Answer

Alot of veg. stuff I cook is eaten by hubby who quite enjoys it!..he is veg. by default haha..

Best Answer
0 Votes

New Veg friend, I appreciate the challenge this presents!  My suggestion is to make "burgers" out of various veg and grain ingredients.  They don't contain meat, but the familiar form may make your family willing to try.  I like to make my own burgers instead of relying on packaged stuff.  Southwestern burgers with black beans, corn, green onions, garlic, and chipotle are great.  You can add a little grated carrot too.  Serve on buns with chipotle ketchup -- yum!  The flavor is pretty hearty and meaty.  Another option is to make meatloaf with mostly vegetables.  I make my own with a tiny bit of chicken breast and a ton of vegetables (carrots, onions, mushrooms) and rolled oats.  Blast everything in the food processor.  Once baked, it's hard to tell that the loaf isn't 100% meat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was in Costco last summer looking at cookbooks.  I bought the book FORKS OVERS KNIVES.  I knew it was vegetarian, but didn't realize it was vegan.  There are actually some really good recipes in there. 

Try some of the recipes for yourself, and if your family complains, show them where the refrigerator/pantry/stove/cooking utensils are and encourage to fix something that appeals to them! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
They have a website, too: www.forksoverknives.com and a video that you can
download (or just watch the trailer). Lots of good recipes. My trainer
turned me on to it and it has been very helpful.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was a vegan for years, gave it up when I got married.  The main thing to remember is that you truly can get everything (despite what some people think) without eating animals.  Vitamin B is usualy the hardest but not really an issue either if you eat a variety.  Protein (most people eat WAY too much) 

One of the things I did was take cooking classes,  Although not religious I took a 7th day adventist cooking class learned some great recipes (cashew cheese lasagna, my fav)  Also took Thai cooking which has some great spices.  The toughest thing for me to give up was dairy, I love italian food.  However, honestly you are better off eating meat than dairy products.

Interesting side note, the 7th day adventists also preach the 10k steps, which I thought was interesting.

Some of my favorite recipes

Cashew Cheese Lasagna (vegan)

Scrambled Tofu (vegan)

Grilled Zuchinni cut into strips, little olive oil salt pepper throw on the bbq very good

Butternut squash raviolis with lite marinara

vegitarian Chili is always good too

Baked Ziti w/roasted Veggies

A million soups and salsas as well.

Best Answer

I was always vegetarian and just this year vegan..all your recipes sound wonderful..vegan food are so rich in variety and good nutrition..we do not need to consume animal products..I am perfectly healthy[67 year old female]..on no meds..do lots of excercise..keep wt. under control[53kg]..the hubby eats meat..he is quite happy to buy and cook it..he also eats and enjoys a lot of my vegan food..

Best Answer
0 Votes
I say everything in moderation but I eat red meat very rarely
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Recovery Runner!  Did your Dr. tell you why you are not digesting the protein properly?  The reason I ask is that it sounds like a developed issues and not a genetic one.  If that is the case, you may not need to reside yourself to a complete vegetarian diet.  While I think a vegetable based diet is key to optimal body function, I do also hold the role of protein in that optimal body function very highly.  This article talks about the proper digestion of protein, what can go wrong & why, and what you can do to resensitize your digestive track for protein absorbtion (http://bodyecology.com/articles/getting_enough_protein.php).  Now, whether that is from animal sources or not may be a moral issue for you, but it sounds like it is more of a change based on your Dr.'s recommendation.

You also mentioned that your husband has colitis.  It sounds like you both may have out of balance digestive systems that are displaying themselves in different conditions, but may be caused by a similarly out of balance diet.  This article refers to nutrition therapy for colitis and if he is on medication for it, he may be able to come off of it.  (http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/ulcerative-colitis-natural-treatments/?promocode=SUMMER)

Dietary changes that heal the digestive tracks: Making sure you are intaking sufficient fluids (3-4qts of water/day), shoot for 10+ servings of non-starchy vegetables/day, intaking servings of healthy fats with each meal- nuts, oily fish, avacados (I also take cod liver oil- 2000mg/day- brand I buy is Barleans with lemon flavor- absolutely no fishy taste), taking a probiotic suppliment will do wonders for your intestines and the absorbtion of nutrients (I use the Garden of Life brand) , always take a daily multi-vitamin to boost your macro-nutrient absorbtion (B-12 and D vitamins tend to be deficient in people with poor digestion), and most importantly begin to cut out sugar, startches and grains. 

This seems like a lot, but will actually simplify things greatly for you when it comes to meal times.  I stock my fridge with veggies, minimal fruit (citrus or berries are best), good quality meats (antibiotic free, grass fed and wild caught are best), Bone Broth (home made is best), plain Greek yogurt and Almond or Coconut milk (unsweetened).  My pantry has almond flour, whole almonds, flax seed, coconut oil (cook with this b/c of high smoke point), extra-virgin olive oil (never heat b/c of low smoke point- only consume at room temp or cold), balsalmic vinegar and apple cidar vinegar.

When it comes to meal time, super simple:  Choose your protein- for us usually chicken or fish (portion size is roughly the size of our open hand);  Choose your side-  for us usually some kind of stir fry veggie combo, green beans, asparagus or salad (portion size- fill the rest of your plate).  After this is finished and if we are still hungry- piece of fruit, handful of nuts and/or cup of yogurt.  If you want to get more creative with meals there are some great recipes your can use for inspiration by searching Paleo/Primal/SANE Recipes.  These types of recipes will give you a great starting point for getting nutrient dense food into your meal and then you can suppliment from there.  If you're thinking you'd have to give up all your favorite foods- wrong- there are some wonderful substitute recipes for all your favorites! 

Some favorites of ours are Paleo Pizza (almond flour crust recipes are yummy), BBQ kabobs to get a little protein and a whole lot of veggies, Chili! (grass fed ground beef or shredded chicken, some broth, tomato, zuccini, onion, bell peppers, sometimes black beans, cumin and season with sea salt/other spices to taste- delicioso!) and Paleo Spaghetti and Meatballs (I mix my beef with lots of diced veggies [spinach, onions, peppers, etc.] and some eggs, instead of breadcrumbs- keeps them moist and nutrient dense; grab one of those veggie noodle devices and crank out some zuccini noodles or bake up a spaghetti squash as your noodles; make a from scratch tomato sauce or find a low sugar one from the store! Boom- Spaghetti!).  The beauty of all this too is the healthier you eat, the more you crave that food and your tastebuds adjust to them. 

Essentially you have to remember that you are doing this for your health.  If you are finding it to be a huge struggle with all the whining, talk to your family about being more supportive.  I got tired of making two meals, one for myself and one for my husband.  I told him I am making one healthy meal, he either eats it or he doesn't and makes his own.  Surprise, surprise- that was too much work, so he ate mine.  As a result, he is seeing the difference in his own health and is on board now.

Other Healthy Eating Resources:  

-Jonathan Bailor- Has done years and years of nutritional and medical research into proper diet for optimal bodily function.  He has a great kick start guide, tons of podcasts and some wonderful recipes- http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/

-Dr. William Davis- Author of Wheat Belly and will explain the reason why the wheat we are being served today is not really wheat, why it is disrumpting normal digestive function and the health effects it is having on our population.  You may find that eating grains may be causing a lot of your health issues (such as intestinal inflammation, malabsorption of nutrients, etc.)  http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

-Wellness Mama-  This blog is from a Mom's point of view, trying to raise a family with a strong nutritional and healthy foundation.  Her article here is how her family instated simple food rules to change their relationship with meal times to a more positive one.  They have young children, but I found it to be interesting for adults to follow as well.  http://wellnessmama.com/8024/food-rules/

That is a TON of information to chew on, but I hope that helps you!!!  Be Well!

Best Answer

When I started living with my boyfriend 3 years ago he was a meat eater. As a strict vegetarian I told him I would cook him meat but only if I didn't have to prepare it- so ready meals, and other stuff you just stick in the oven. Eventually he decided that he would just rather eat what I ate (he could have just cooked meat for himself but whatever...), so now he's 95% vegetarian and I never cook him meat. 

I cook him a lot of different things and it means we can share meals, even when I was vegan for half a year we didn't struggle. I use Quorn for him and Tofu or vegetables for myself because I don't eat Quorn anymore. Some regular quorn/meat substiture things I make for him are:

- Curries with Quorn chicken pieces

- Stirfry with Quorn chicken pieces

- Southern fried Quorn chicken bites, chips and beans & eggs etc

- Southern fried Quorn burgers in buns with whatever side dish

- Linda Mccartney/Quorn sausages, mashed potato, vegetables and gravy

- Home made pizza with Quorn chicken bites ontop, with home made potato wedges and veg

- Linda Mccartney/Quorn pie with gravy & potatoes 

- Fajitas with Quorn chicken pieces or southern fried bites 

- Quorn BBQ bites, honey roasted chips and beans

- Quorn peppered steak or roasted lamb with whatever side

you get the idea, I don't know if you live in America, if you do then your Quorn choice might be more limited than mine, but there's so much to make! then obviously there's everything else like pastas, potato dishes and everything else! I can always find something vegetarian to make him, and it doesn't have to be a quorn product either, just find whatever vegetarian stuff your local store does. Recently I'm obsessed with falafels in wraps with hummus, salsa and peppers Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!! 🙂

I recomend you two books, first is China study from dr. Campbell, and then China study - cook book...

Have fun with reading.. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are a lot of fake meats out there that are supposed to taste great. In Canada, at Super Store (Real Canadian Super Store) they have a burger replacement called ''The World's Best Tasting Meatless Burger'' (I think that is what it is called? Very close). It is delicious.

If you are in the US, I think there is a meat alternative called ''Beyond Meat'' - which is getting rave reviews. Even the die-hard meat eaters really like it. They are going to be offering gluten free options too (and I hope they bring it to Canada. To Canada, please! :))

I think a lot of the resistance to eating vegetarian foods is psychological. I never liked the taste of meat, but I know there are products that taste so close to meat nowadays that I can't help but think it's just the fact that they KNOW it's not meat. Which reminds me of my cousin when she was a little kid. She used to say she hated yogurt. One day my mum bought her a frozen yogurt, which she thought was ice cream, and she started eating it quickly and said it was delicious. As soon as I mentioned that it was frozen yogurt (''tasty though, huh?'') she acted like it was disgusting and spit it out.

So yeah.

Some ideas:

-make salads with a dash of simulated bacon bits (instead of the real things)

-try Gardein mock chicken strips etc. They taste delicious!! All the Gardein stuff tastes great, but does contain gluten

-if you go out for Chinese/ VIetnamese food etc. try ordering different vegetarian dishes and see what vegetables they find the most delicious (or fruits, botanically, as the case may be ;)) I LOVE eggplant when cooked properly, especially in a black bean sauce

-Sometimes the difference between loving tofu and hating it is just...trying different brands. Some tofu is a little too soft and plain. I like the firmer *smoked* tofu. Smoked tofu grilled is delicious.

-I also love hummus. Especially with garlic and lemon juice added. I like to dip cooked carrots and cut cucumber into it.

I know this might not be too helpful; I naturally love fruit and vegetables, so it's much easier for me, I guess (I have major stomach problems though, so I often have to watch the brassica family etc.)

Good luck!

“The game is afoot.” ― Sherlock Holmes, Adventure of the Abbey Grange
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't like my vegetarian food to taste like meat, Steff, so I think it's just personal choice. Some people dislike meat and always have...others may like it but are giving it up for health/ environmental/ ethical (animal welfare) concerns. I think a lot of people actually like the taste of meat but understand that by and large, excess meat consumption isn't the best for our planet or our health (factory farms contribute the most to water, soil and air pollution!) so a lot of companies will make vegetarian alternatives that taste 'meaty.' There are also a lot of vegetarian products that don't taste like meat at all. There is a range. 🙂

That said, even though I don't like the taste of meat myself, I always liked the taste of cheese and chocolate milk. The best milk substitute I found was Tayo (potato) chocolate milk, which they used to offer in Canada. It tasted EXACTLY like chocolate milk; haven't seen it around much lately.

Vegan cheese is trickier. I know it sounds awful, but when I was a kid I loved that melted cheese you'd get on fries at Taco Bell. The one that looks like melted plastic? (lol). I know it's probably *rotten* for your health, but I'm always hoping they will make a vegan, melted cheese equivalent that tastes exactly like that plastic-cheese for me to eat 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been a vegitarian for several years. In the beginning its hard to fine foods that everyone will eat. It helps to hake dishes that dont involve meat and only prepare meat dishes once or twice a week. Eventually That will become habit and eating not as much meat will become normal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, get your husband/ kids involved with making meals. For example, if you go to a Farmer's Market, you might find that they are more interested in choosing certain vegetables, herbs, fruits and then eating them.

I love corn on the cob 🙂 Maybe they will too. Farmer's Market veggies and fruits often smell much more fragrant and are generally tastier 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Recovery Runner,

I found that with my family, my choice of going vegan hasn't been as difficult as I expected. I have two VERY carnivorous adults, a semi-vegetarian teenager, and a milk/egg allergy 4th grader. What we did has turned out to be an excellent approach:

I cook half of the week, the rest of the family cooks the other half (or however we divided the week up for everyone's favorites). When I cook the vegan recipes, I tend to make crowd-pleasers that are out of EVERYONE's comfort zone or familiarity...and I make large enough dishes that I have plenty of left-overs. On their nights to cook, I grill them about the ingredients they'll be using and let them know in advance if I'll be "eating with the family." It seemed a bit dis-jointed at first and took a little bit of adjustment, but everyone knows to tell me what's in what they're cooking when they ask if I'm joining them for dinner. 

My approach has served two goals: 1. Gives everyone a chance to eat familiar dishes during their cooking nights; 2. Exposes everyone to healthy, vegan, and safe options during my cooking nights. 

If you don't have a family that cooks, microwave meals work great for the nights they "cook". My hubby has actually come around to cooking multiple options (adding veggie dogs/patties to the grill in a separate area from the meat patties) because of how willing I was to make my dietary choices/restrictions easy for the entire family.

I will say, I don't cook a lot of tofu or soy. I didn't grow up with it, and I don't find it appetizing, so I'm not suprised they don't either. I agree with some of the other posters that making most carnivores a "meat substitute" option or feeding them the "veggie meat" will prove a poor convincing tool. I find my family is more willing to try vegan options when it's a true vegan food (I've made a Moroccan bean stew, enchilada bake, and french toast...all vegan) and not pawned off on them as a "meat" option. I fuel protein into all the meals I look for as family meals, so there's no need for meat. Casseroles and One-Dish-Meals tend to go over better than veggie or vegan subs of "common" foods. As you feed the family (if you're the only person cooking), they'll come around to new cooking styles if you don't budge or back down. You could also make this a 1-month challenge. If they'll eat your way for one month solid, you'll let them start choosing their favorites from your new recipes.

If your body isn't processing the protein properly, there is a chance one of your kid(s) will end up with the problems as well. Since your hubby has the colitis, that could also be a factor. Changing everyone's eating habits with consistent offerings is the safest, healthiest choice long-term. 

Best Answer

I just made the switch, too, and my family is still eating meat.  I do a few different things.  Sometimes, i just eat different food -- they have burgers on the grill and i grill a protobello mushroom.  Or, I make vegetarian dishes that they can eat -- like an eggplant tomato gratin (with or without cheese) or homemade pizza (You can make indivoidual pizzas and add meat to their and make your meat and even cheese free). Or I make pasta but either change the sauce or the noddles for mine (I like the pastas that are made entirely of lentils, or I may make the same pasta but throw just veggoes on mine and give them a meat saiuce.)  Along the way, I invite them to taste mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pokie wrote:

I am vegan..my hubby eats meat[he buys his meat and cooks it himself]..also there are so many meatless products available now..they even satisfy my hubby!!

I agree.  I  am a vegetarian ( since 1984) and I am close to being a vegan.  I do not judge what others eat but, if someone wants meat, they need to cook it themselves.  There are a LOT of options.  This site has a lot of Buddhist recipes:  http://www.buddhagate.org/Vegetarian/recipes/English.html 

My husband (who is a meat eater) actually loves the food from this site and will prepare it for me.  

Best Answer

Approximately 8 years ago I bought a Crock Pot brand slowcooker. The liner has two equal sections. I use it often

@100 wrote:

My Dr recommended that I become vegetarian because my body isn't processing the protein properly.  My family refuses to eat any of my creative dishes, which I think are amazing.  They won't eat tofu, beans, lentils, soy, etc and turn their noses up when there is no meat.  I can eat a limited amount of chicken and fish, but I'm running out of options.  Any suggestions?

@100 wrote:

because I am vegetarian and my family is not. It works great!

@100 wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes