Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new vegetarian in a carnivorous family. Help

My Dr recommended that I become vegetarian because my body isn't processing the protein properly.  My family refuses to eat any of my creative dishes, which I think are amazing.  They won't eat tofu, beans, lentils, soy, etc and turn their noses up when there is no meat.  I can eat a limited amount of chicken and fish, but I'm running out of options.  Any suggestions?

With God, all things are possible!

Blessings to you for a fantastic day!
Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

Being vegetarian is what you make of it. If you make it elaborate and a HUGE deal, then it will be elaborate and a huge deal. If you keep it simple and easy, it'll become more and more simple and easy the longer you stick to it. I've been vegetarian for many years and not because I don't want animals killed (although I do have a stance on the ethical treatment of animals raised for food, how they are butchered and the effects on the Earth with runoff and water usage, but that's another post). I am a vegetarian because I FEEL better when I eat less meat. My body performs better, I'm less sluggish, I sleep better and I poop better. (Yeah I said it) I am a healthier person as a vegetarian.

I always like to keep things simple and easy. Small changes like using black beans instead of ground beef for tacos or using more beans and no meat in chili are easy places to start. I use tofu instead of ricotta cheese in lasagna. Avocado is a great healthy fat and you can add it to lots of things. Tofu tastes like what you season it to, so be sure you are adaquately seasoning it.

I agree with others that you shouldn't be a short order cook, and I personally don't cater to what my family whines about. I cook a meal, they eat it or there's always PB&J. Maybe you should just keep trying alternatives and eventually it'll catch on. I second the thoughts of using things like Boca crumbles, tempeh and tofu in replacement of meat. It does have a different texture, but they will eventually adjust. You can always do what I did and wait to tell them it's vegetarian until after tjhey say they love it. lol The other thing you can do is if you want to accommodate them somewhat, you can make dishes that are easily adaptable. For example, use beef for their tacos and beans for yours. Cook them hamburgers and cook yourself a boca/non-meat patty. Make them a stir fry with chicken and put tofu in yours.

As far as the texture issue goes... I totally understand what your hubby means. I personally have some texture issues as well. Ask him what kinds of textures bother him and work with him to find products or meals that he can "stomach." It's not something you can always just get over, it takes time and trying things.

Good luck in your veg adventure and if you need suggestions, feel free to private message me! I'm always up for sharing ideas!

"You are a blessing in the universe. Dare to let yourself shine!"
Best Answer

@steff 

The only thing that makes it difficult is a lack of information on the subject.    Did you know that lettuce can also come in the color purple, or that tomatoes can be green, yellow or orange... not just red?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cassandrao 

The cost depends on where you live.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gerrymcd 

I will have to find those books. 🙂 Thank you for sharing them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@steff 

I like your side dish idea.   My husband thinks I should eat only side dishes while the rest of the family has their meat dishes.  They eat too much meat and we all have health problems as a result of it.   I should turn it around and start making my vegetarian food with meat as the side.  It might help us all to lose weight.

Best Answer

The adults are vegan and the kids are not in this household.

Actually the youngest doesnt like vegetables or meat so we are not quite sure what she wants to be (Junkfoodetarian probably), but we get her to eat enough to nourish herself, and do not buy junk food to keep in the house anyways.

We cook the meat alongside the vegetables, make a soup, stew, stir fry or whatever and then if they want meat for dinner we will cook some sausage, chicken or whatever to go with it. "Taco" nights there is ground beef, we just slap on the black beans.

Some cookbooks you might want to check out at your local library and see if they offer enough to buy:

The McDougall Quick and easy cookbook (Extreme guidelines, no oils)

Forks over Knives cookbook

The Happy Herbivore

The China Study Cookbook

Just bought Veganomicon and Vegan Fusion World Cuisine for their great dressing and sauce recipes and the varied tastes offered from other countries.

I hear about how hard it must be all the time, my reply is nope, when it makes you feel good you wont miss it. We pay the price the next day when we go off the cart, and it is a good reminder as to why we eat the way we do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My tip is to sneak in some healthier options, whole grains, fresh veggies and low to no meat. I usually fill up my fridge with salads, fruits, prepared meals and little junk food; either they eat it or they need to cook and clean Smiley LOL

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Hey, I'm Jo, I know you addled this question a long time ago, but I have a similar dilemma. 

I have decided to become vegan, it's a slow process for me. 

My family all eats animal products and I try not to. I do the cooking most days. 

I'll often make a dish in one pot/pan/skillet, cook the meat for them separately, and whatever protein I'm eating separately as well. If the meat/animal products can't be separated, I'll cook their's and have a huge salad to myself. 

Another trick is to have beans, rice grains, etc, ready prepared and waiting on the fridge for a quickly microwaved, while foods solution. 

Hope this helps.  

Good bless.

Best Answer
0 Votes