Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vegan ideas

ANSWERED

Sorry if this has been done before, but i recently went vegan and i am struggling for ideas that do not include beans (or chickpeas) wondered if anyone had any ideas, Am fed up of eating same food. thank you x 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bulghur is a great choice—think about having tabouleh and a whole wheat pita instead of the endless hummus (not that I don't love hummus). Soy or cashew yogurt is useful and is my normal bedtime snack with berries for extra vitties. I really don't like the taste of store bought, so I make my own using vegan yogurt cultures (Cultures for Health has a good vegan-sourced one), and if you fortify it with calcium, you can hit the trifecta of calcium, protein, and probiotics.

Vegan cheeses tend to be low in useable protein, but soft cashew cheese is delicious and protein-y. Add lentil crackers, an apple, and celery and you've got a powerhouse (and coincidentally gluten-free) lunch.

Check out this article by OneGreenPlanet for some more ideas on general vegan eating: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/healthy-plant-based-diet-without-beans/

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

What are the "same foods" you are fed up of eating? I’m not vegan myself, but veggies and fruits provide a wealth of choice, plus all the other items you can eat with them.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

ah thanks for reply jackets and beans i normally fed up of them 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bulghur is a great choice—think about having tabouleh and a whole wheat pita instead of the endless hummus (not that I don't love hummus). Soy or cashew yogurt is useful and is my normal bedtime snack with berries for extra vitties. I really don't like the taste of store bought, so I make my own using vegan yogurt cultures (Cultures for Health has a good vegan-sourced one), and if you fortify it with calcium, you can hit the trifecta of calcium, protein, and probiotics.

Vegan cheeses tend to be low in useable protein, but soft cashew cheese is delicious and protein-y. Add lentil crackers, an apple, and celery and you've got a powerhouse (and coincidentally gluten-free) lunch.

Check out this article by OneGreenPlanet for some more ideas on general vegan eating: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/healthy-plant-based-diet-without-beans/

Best Answer

cheers for reply good tips 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My pleasure—good luck!

Best Answer

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mark bittman just released his revised how to cook everything vegetarian.  It's so awesome, there are a lot of photos . I can't wait to start cooking!

Best Answer

Peruse this food blog, Minimalist Baker makes super creative vegan recipes that don't usually require more than 10 ingredients or more than an hour to cook.

https://minimalistbaker.com/

Best Answer

Can I ask why you don't want to eat beans? 

That said, there are lots of fruits and vegetables out there. Quinoa is a good source of protein.

Best Answer
Just a bit of variety really so am not having the same things all the time, I will eat beans but just needed other ideas

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Dont know if you have certain things you cant eat/dont like, but here are some of my favorites.. a lot of my food is whatever I have in the fridge thrown together. Sometimes its a winner, sometimes it needs work. 

Carrots and PB

Sweet potato, PB, hemp seeds, maple syrup

Pasta and tofu alfredo sauce (Happy Herbivore)

Brownie Batter hummus/Choco. chip cookie dough hummus (Chocolate Covered Katie)

Seitan (can be made so many ways)

Mashed potatoes and "gravy" (I take butter beans, nutritional yeast, vegan chicken bouillon, water and sometimes liquid smoke and puree it.)

Shepherds pie with soya crumbles cooked in veg stock or vegan chicken bouillon instead of beef. 

Mole sauced soya crumbles, broccoli, Verde Valley (Mexican rice that soaks up lots of flavor, but can just use plain rice) rice cooked in enchilada sauce and taco seasoning made into enchiladas (not the lowest in sodium, but my family likes it. 

Oriental flavor ramen, Ocean's Halo miso broth (I like this one more than the ramen broth) with lots of asian veggies

Black bean spaghetti noodles and puttanesca sauce (I really like Sam's choice)

"Parmasan cheese" raw cashews, course salt and nutritional yeast and I blend it until it looks crumbly-like

Dessert tofu (if you can find it, I just recently found this and banana is my favorite) frozen and blended up with some frozen fruit and non dairy milk, turns into soft serve "ice cream"

Jill McKeever www.simpledailyrecipes.com has helped me SOOOO much transitioning to veganism from vegetarian. She uses an instant pot a lot but I am sure her recipes can be cooked on the stove too. Also, cleanfooddirtygirl.com has lots of delicious looking stuff (I hear amazing things about their sauces) but I havent tried anything, but you can get weekly meal plans and batch cooking instructions. 

Cheap Lazy Vegan has lots of quick simple stuff too. 

I hope this helps ❤️ 

Best Answer

Hello and welcome the plant-eating family! These two websites are a wealth of knowledge and recipe's that we use often. Look around these websites for links to additional recipe books.

Forks Over Knives Recipes

T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies - Plant-Based Recipes

The last resource I give with a smidge of hesitation because it includes Vegetarian and Vegan recipes that are not always consistent with my WFPB principles (mainly because they tend to use a lot of extracted oils). But, with some modifications, I have had made some real winners. 

Hurry the Food Up

Hope this helps! With a few good recipes and some shopping a whole culinary adventure will open up to you with tastes and textures you never thought possible without processed foods and animal products!

One last thought, and I apologize in advance for this because you said you were tired of chickpeas, but for instance, here is a recipe I made last night that me and my kids absolutely loved. You would never even know there were chickpeas in the recipe! If this does not seem appealing, check out the other burger recipes made from other ingredients like black beans, you never know, you might like it!!

Sneaky Chickpea Burgers

Good luck on your journey!!! Please post back and let us know how you you are doing diversifying your palate! 

Sneaky Chickpea Burgers.jpg

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

When I first started my Vegan adventure (October 2017). I began as an absolute purest. I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to do for food either. There are websites and TV channels with many Indian cooking shows. They are totally vegan, and most are very easy to prepare. My favorite receipe is a street vendor crepe type wrap. I use it for veggie wraps (yummy). Guess what the main ingredient is? Chick pea flour! Yep just the1 cup flour and some water. Make the mixture a little thinner than pancake batter, then cook like a pancake!  I let mine cool and wrap my Vegan heart out! I also fridge some for Vegan fast food emergencies.  I have made saffron rice with veggies in a pressure cooker and wrapped that as well. Spread your Vegan wings on the internet and have fun!

Best Answer

I'm an unrepentant carnivore but sometimes we do no-meat dinners etc.  One of my favorites is what we've come to call "the lentil thing" plus "the cabbage thing", served with rice.

https://ourbestbites.com/slow-cooker-indian-lentils/

https://herbivoracious.com/2008/10/five-minute-ind.html

I tend to double the spices on the cabbage for more flavor.

We also have a vegetarian sweet potato chili recipe that we'll make, along with polenta (we'll make that with milk vs. water but you don't need to).

Another one to look up is "misir wot", an Ethiopian lentil dish. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat mostly out of my garden, however, do supplement with tofu and shredded mushrooms for protein & texture. I don’t feel I have sacrificed anything by going vegan really. My personal health benefits have far outweighed anything else I have tried. I do do a lot more pressure cooking of dry beans, rice, lentils, etc.

I have several pan dishes I refer to as”glop”. 1 is a one pan eggplant vegan Parmesan. Yummy!

From my iPad

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I enjoy Boca Burgers they are awesome torn up and on Corn Tortillas. Rice and seasoned Tofu are some of my go tos  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too. I also enjoy some of Morning Star Farms products. However, you have to read all their labels very carefully as on one item I looked at had egg added to it. The burgers make a quick addition to meals. Stir fry, add veggies, season and eat. Quick and easy.

Best Answer

Veggie Spring Rolls

Prep

1 h Ready In 1 h

Ingredients

Spring Rolls

• 1 medium beet (preferably Candy Cane or Chioggia), peeled
  • 1 medium radish (preferably watermelon), peeled
  • 8 rice paper wrappers
  • 1 firm ripe avocado, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups grated carrot
  • 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
  • 8 large fresh basil leaves
  • 8 large fresh mint leaves

Peanut Sauce

• ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce (see Tip)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1½ teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon minced garlic
  • ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)

Directions

1 To prepare spring rolls: Thinly slice beet and radish and cut each slice in half.

2 Soak one wrapper at a time in a shallow dish of very hot water until softened, about 30 seconds. Lift out, let the water drip off and lay on a clean, dry cutting board.

3 Arrange 2 halved beet slices, facing in opposite directions, horizontally in the center of a wrapper. Place 2 avocado slices vertically next to the beets. Add 2 halved radish slices vertically, facing each one opposite the one next to it, next to the avocado. Top the beets with ¼ cup carrot. Top the avocado and radishes with ¼ cup cabbage. Place 1 basil leaf on the carrots and cabbage and 1 mint leaf directly below the basil. Fold the wrapper over the filling and roll into a tight cylinder, folding in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling. Cut each finished roll in half.

4 To prepare sauce: Whisk peanut butter, tamari (or soy sauce), water, rice vinegar, syrup, garlic, crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl until smooth.

5 Serve the rolls with the dipping sauce.

People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use soy sauces that are labeled "gluten-free," as soy sauce may contain wheat or other gluten-containing sweeteners and flavors.

Serving size: 1 roll & about 1½ tsp. dipping sauce

Per serving: 155 calories; 8 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 17 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 46 mcg folate; 0 cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 1 g added sugars; 4,744 IU vitamin A; 11 mg vitamin C; 27 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 255 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (95% daily value)

Carbohydrate Servings: 1

Exchanges: 1½ fat, 1 vegetable, ½ starch

Best Answer