Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wings

ANSWERED

I know wings are fried but you can eat those on the Atkins diet. Which is better eating 12 wings or a plate of pasta?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If I had to choose, I'd choose the wings and make them myself.  I use plain tobasco and marinate wings in it and then broil the wings.   Super yummy and cuts the calories in half.  Ideally, I would have six and a plate of veg - maybe a splurge of homemade ranch dip made of non fat sour cream.

If I was eating out, I might go with pasta and put half in a box as soon as it was served.  Maybe a seafood livornese.  But why pasta when I could have cioppino?  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Everything you eat is a choice.  From a local restaurant: 10 wings, 1400 calories  I picked it because I know they aren't breaded.  This excludes any sauce - if you go with the butter-basted sauces they all run another 500 calories.  So, Atkins or not, you're up to almost 2000 calories.

The same restaurant has three pasta options - from 806 calories to 1104. 

I guess what I'm saying is that low-carb or not, you can still overeat on Atkins.  The theory is that with high fat and protein levels you will not eat as much.  I wasn't sure, so I checked and skimming an eating out guide they suggest grilled chicken wings (not deep fried).

I've eaten both in the last year or so.  Any food can be worked into your diet, depending on what you want to do.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

If you're on an atkins diet you're likely better off eating the wings.Lower carbs right?. From what i figure you also run the risk of losing your willpower if you eat a big plate of spaghetti  and break down and backslide on the diet again after that .

If you eat the spaghetti with meat sauce that has oil,fat,salt in it you're likely going to get all the bad stuff the same as the wings anyways.

Best Answer

If I had to choose, I'd choose the wings and make them myself.  I use plain tobasco and marinate wings in it and then broil the wings.   Super yummy and cuts the calories in half.  Ideally, I would have six and a plate of veg - maybe a splurge of homemade ranch dip made of non fat sour cream.

If I was eating out, I might go with pasta and put half in a box as soon as it was served.  Maybe a seafood livornese.  But why pasta when I could have cioppino?  

Best Answer

When I stopped eating chicken and started eating thin cut sirloin steaks my body changed within 30 days.  No more eating chicken for me.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcruik wrote:

I know wings are fried but you can eat those on the Atkins diet. Which is better eating 12 wings or a plate of pasta?

@bcruik,

You gave what is known as a faulty dilemma. First, you should know the Atkin's diet is literally a killer. But make your own choices.

12 chicken wings are about 1,200 calories. Add the other things in the meal, and you are likely around 2,000 calories for one meal.

You don't have to eat "a plate of pasta." A four ounce serving of boiled pasta with no oil added is about 250 calories. Add some meat free sauce and it's maybe 350 calories. Have a couple slices of bread without butter, and you have about 500 calories of healthy food that won't put on weight. You can add a side salad with no dressing which is maybe 50 calories.

Best Answer