Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
byrone
Premium User
First Steps

The Online Site shows protein totals but the moble apps do not.  It would be great if we had some options as to the tiles we could set up on the dashboard as well as the mobile dashboards.

Some options might be

Sodium

Protein

Carbs

Fat

All of this is tracked and the data is all there in the applications why not allow this to be tracked based on the individuals needs.  I need to track daily protein intake, others need to track sodium etc.

djh1107
Jogger

It would be great to have a pie chart widget showing your daily breakdown of macronutriends (carbs vs protien vs fat).  This would be a nice compliment to the In vs Out widget on the dashboard.  

Lovisa
Stepping Up

I'd love it! It can't be too hard to fix, can it? 😉

tturbo
Recovery Runner

@djh1107 wrote:

It would be great to have a pie chart widget showing your daily breakdown of macronutriends (carbs vs protien vs fat).  This would be a nice compliment to the In vs Out widget on the dashboard.  

It's only available through Premium. 

spinthelights
Premium User
First Steps

It's a premium feature, but as someone who tracks nutrient intake, this would be spectacular to have on the Dash! Great idea.

ND2lose
First Steps

I'd like to see the daily nutrition (fats, carbs, proteins, etc) in a bar graph or pie chart. It would be great if the bar/pie graph could be super-imposed over the suggested amounts for the top 3 diets or current nutritional guidlines. It would be easier to "see" where changes need to be made to ones diet.

zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is indeed a feature of Fitbit Premium. If you're interested to learn more about Fitbit Premium or try it for free, head here.

gregsxlr
Jogger

On the dashboard under log / food would it be possible to have the recommended daily allowances for fat, carbs, calories, et show above or under our daily totals for a comparison?

zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for the suggestion! I've gone ahead and moved your idea to the Product Features board. This will make it easier for our others to comment on and vote for your idea.

Alessio
Jogger

No, what djh1107 ask it's not on PREMIUM!

On the premium part of the site there's just a WEEKLY report, not DAILY.

I think that a pie chart showing the DAILY breakdown of macronutriends would be the perfetc compliment (also just as premium feature if you prefer!) 🙂

The only way I found to have what we need is log food via Myfitnesspal (and sync them with fitbit)... but I'd much prefer not to use 2 different apps to do the same work 😞

Please add this! 🙂

Michael
5K Racer

Even better would be to have it show you configurable goals for percent of calories from Carbs, Fat, Protein.

susik
First Steps

When logging food, I can see nutrition facts for each entry in the log. I would love to have a summary of the nutrition facts for each day on the dashboard. Years ago, Dietwatch.com had functionality like that. They also infomed you if you got, say, too little protein or too many carbs. 

The data is allready there, so it should be a simple job to sum them up and display them and that would be so much more informative than just the number of calories consumed.

Moderator edit: Added labels 

Cassian
Runner

Yes, I think this would make a great dashboard tile that would fit well with the overall theme of the page, you know? A pie chart would work well. And in my ideal world, I could have a protein target in either grams or percent-of-calories, and if I reached it maybe a little star could appear in the section of pie chart. 🙂

susik
First Steps

Yes, a pie chart tile is a good idea! I would also like to have weekly summary of vitamins and minerals.

Cassian
Runner

I just read elsewhere that a pie chart of weekly macronutrient intake is a premium feature. *investigates*

Yup, it is available with a premium account.

susik
First Steps

Thanks for pointing that out!

The pie chart is good. However, the summary of fiber, calcium, potassium, sodium Cholesterol

is not too easy to navigate. And I would love info on more minerals (e.g. zinc, selenium, magnesium) and vitamines as well.

bdwestfall
Premium User
Jogger

Hi, 

I'm on a Ketogenic diet and have to track what I eat daily.  Right now I'm assuming that as long as my percentages for the week are ok that my percentages for the day are ok.  This isn't always true, but close.  It would be a lot easier for me to track my percentages if next to the weekly pie graph there was a daily pie graph.  Is this possible? 

Starkman78
Base Runner

It would be nice if the food tracking/planning features were updated to accomodate lifestyles outside of the Standard American Diet/food pyramid. I eat primal like many athletes and wish that the data would give objective feedback about my goals and results rather than constant admonishments about how I am not eating enough carbs.

akleckner
First Steps

It would be helpful if Fitbit's Food Log was linked to the USDA Nutrient Database so we could follow our vitamin and mineral intake.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

gw1
Premium User
First Steps

I agree. I would like to know if I need to be taking supplements or not.

DManganaro
First Steps

I agree. These totals are shown in a very clean and simple "Daily Totals" bar on the online site.  There needs to be a clean and simple feature in the app where we can choose which macros we would like to see totals for, similar to how we choose if we want to see the "Steps Taken" or "Floors Climbed".  Calorie counting is much less effective if the user cannot readily see the macros they want to track in addition to the calorie tracking.

garnetann
Recovery Runner

This is worth mentioning again, but adding Fiber and other important vitamins and minerals to the tracking nutrition of the food. It could be something that the user chooses what optional criteria they want to see. 

Emilyle16
Jogger

I wish that I could see the Daily Totals in the app that you see on the Food Plan Log page. This would be helpful because I need to work hard to get enough protein in my diet in each - I know I don't hit the amount I need quite often. I can easily check where I am at when I am online at my desk, but it would be helpful to see that information on my phone so it could inform my decisions about meals and snacks.

Status changed to: New
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

dopamean
First Steps

I like to make sure I'm getting enough protein. The app doesn't allow me to view my macronutrient ratios, which forces me to use the Myfitnesspal app for (extremely bad) syncing, rather than entering my food directly into the fitbit app. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.