Proximity Smartphone Unlock

I would love to have an auto Lock/Unlock of my smartphone based on proximity.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator Edit: Labels

37 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Brilliant idea! Thanks for posting. 

mandaman2k
First Steps

With the new Android Lollipop, which has a smart unlock feature baked in it would be great to use our fitbit flex to automatically unlock the phone.

Cheers

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I just checked my Android phone and going to the Bluetooth section I see that my Charge is paired and is a trusted device, I'm running Android 4.4 on a Galaxy S3

jumpinjackflash
Stepping Up
Trusted devices like smartwatches and other Bluetooth wearables can be selected, for not having to unlock the smartphone with a pattern or code if this certain device is close to the smartphone. This feature would be a big plus for fitbit devices, especially the fitbit flex 😉 . http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/20/lollipop-feature-spotlight-smart-lock-includes-trusted-bluet...
Status changed to: Under Consideration
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

We will look into leveraging Android's smart lock capabilities. Thanks for your interest and votes!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

i didn't want to create an entire new thread as i see both android and ios users are requesting this. this would probably mean a big tweak to your app, but this might also keep me from hoping on a product from a different company. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

wanted to give the thumb up vote here. i think the device would have to sync through the OS rather than the fitbit app to be compatible. running lollipop, and although my fitbit shows up as a device in the bluetooth settings, it rejects syncing through the os.

rcarlson
First Steps

This would be a great feature! I just updated to android 5.0 and was really hoping to add my fitbit flex to the 'trusted devices' list, but since flex won't pair with android, it's not available. This is a huge selling point for other wearables, and I would love to have it on the flex

matno
First Steps

I am so disappointed. The main reason that I bought a Flex was to use it with Android Lollipop Smart Lock. Please fix this asap.

tiuri
Strider

I hope this will be possible soon!

There's aready an earlier feature request that matches this as well, this one

Valkyrie-MT
Base Runner

This is more a responsibility for the Phone OS developers, however, if there is something that a wrist worn tracker can integrate to allow this, like NFC, that would be great. Although, I'd be happy if my phone required an unlock code only when my tracker is outside of bluetooth range.  And required no unlock code when the tracker is within range. 

MarcusMarcus
Base Runner

What phone do you have?
I have a Galaxy S III running Android KitKat. I'm using Tasker with the Secure Settings plugin. I have it set to disable lock when it sees my fitbit, so I can unlock or launch various apps depending on which direction I swipe. As soon as my fitbit is no longer in range, my phone immidiatly locks and enables pin lock. Works great and saves a little time messing with the lock screen.

If you have an Android phone with Lollipop, I believe this feature is built in and is probably easier to setup.

If you have and iPhone, I believe you are out of luck until they decide to implement something like this.

wetzk
Base Runner

You were right! In the new Android firmware I set up a Smart Lock and then allowed the Surge to unlock the phone.  Thank you !

TobiasF
Strider

the Xiaomi band also incorporated this feature by BT but it's a great idea either with BT or NFC!

aguayodav
Jogger

a 14$ xiami band does this, why not a 149$ fitbit band? it is crazy

Rosch
First Steps

Hi...

The same here. I updated my Moto G 2014 yesterday to lollipop.

It is sad that this is not working.

Having this is a key feature. Please add this to your feature list. You could do an own "Smart Lock agent" handling also the authentication request against the device. Propably you can reuse code from the regular fitbit app.

There is a lot of mementum presently on the wearable market. I will also think about moving to a different product if this will not be supported in the next time.

alfonder
Jogger

After 4 months the feature is still "Under Consideration". It's very disappointing that my $200 Charge doesn't support Smart Lock, while my collegue's $15 Mi Band does.

I vote up by all my thumbs Man Happy

jcward
First Steps

Yes - I want this!

But I fear from a technological standpoint it could be a very costly feature. Fitbit seems to be using custom bluetooth pairing (which is why the device won't simply pair via the OS interface.) This makes Fitbit setup easy, but changes to this schema could have reprecussions throughout the device firmware / dongle / software / phone apps.  Bottom line, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this.  😞

adottavio
Jogger

This seems to have been under consideration for a long time but I think it would also fix the alerting issue with the Surge if the device was constantly connected via Bluetooth instead of only when the app is open and active.  Please bring this functionallity soon!

Martins2759
Base Runner

Smart Lock using my Charge HR is working on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. I am now running Android 5.1.1 via CyanogenMod 12.1 nightlies.

Procedure:

1. Enable Background Sync in Fitbit app.
  2. Enable Call Notifications, even if you are using a WiFi only device like me.
  3. A notification should pop up. Set up your trusted device and test things out.
  4. Try closing the Fitbit App and seeing if Smart Lock still works.
  5. Give feedback here on the forums, because I can't feagure out what changed for this to be working, but it is and it's awesome! 😄

(I'm posting this on multiple threads so that this info can get to as many people as possible.)

Martins2759
Base Runner

Smart Lock using my Charge HR is working on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. I am now running Android 5.1.1 via CyanogenMod 12.1 nightlies.

Procedure:

1. Enable Background Sync in Fitbit app.
  2. Enable Call Notifications, even if you are using a WiFi only device like me.
  3. A notification should pop up. Set up your trusted device and test things out.
  4. Try closing the Fitbit App and seeing if Smart Lock still works.
  5. Give feedback here on the forums, because I can't feagure out what changed for this to be working, but it is and it's awesome! 😄

(I'm posting this on multiple threads so that this info can get to as many people as possible.)

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
This smart lock feature is designed to work with any bluetooth device that you have set to be a trusted Bluetooth. It should work since it is part of the phone OS, not fitbit.
Martins2759
Base Runner
It wasn't working two months ago. I tried with both my tablet and OnePlus One phone 🙂
aguayodav
Jogger
It isn't working for me. No changes. Appears as disconnected
adottavio
Jogger

Didn't make a difference for me, as a matter a fact, I am no receiving zero message notifications.  I am on a Nexus 6 running 5.1 so not sure when we may get 5.1.1.  Can not even get to Smart Lock fast enough before the Surge is disconnected.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.