A Nickel Free Tracker for your Wrist

I am allergic to nickel. I use the Fitbit Zip, but I want something that can track heart rate and sleep. It seems that all of your available wrist products are made with nickel. As this is such a common allergy, I think it would only make practical sense for you to develop a product that doesn't use nickel. With all of the wrist irritation issues plaguing users of fitness trackers over the years, I would encourage you to be a leader in developing a device that is hypoallergenic. I tried a Fitbit Charge and, within minutes, had a red reaction on my wrist. I don't want to buy a device that will irritate my skin and, until you develop a new device, I am going to have to look into other companies' trackers. 

28 Comments
PPS227
Jogger
Nickel allergies are relatively common and it seems this issue has a straightforward enough fix: change the clasp component to a ASTM F138-compliant steel (used in body jewelry) or other plastic material. This is a well-known, well-documented issue with Fitbit products but the company doesn't seem to care enough about its customers to offer a sufficient long-term solution. If changing the clasp design for all consumers is too costly, why not offer a complimentary upgraded clasp to customers complaining of an allergic reaction?

Seriously Fitbit, you need to do SOMETHING. Radio silence and inaction is not the way to keep customers in a competitive market.
candace626
Jogger

Yes. I agree with PPS227's proposed solution. Changing the clasp for all devices would be wonderful but, if not, offering a complimentary upgraded clasp to the customers suffering from a nickel reaction would be great too. 

With nickel allergies on the rise and an estimated 20% of the population affected, it is imperative that Fitbit work to address these problems. In 2015, Fitbit had sold 20.5 million Fitbit trackers. If 20% of those users were impacted by a nickel allergy, an estimated 4.1 million users in 2015 were, in effect, completely unable to use their trackers.

Fitbit's silence on this issue is another way of saying that they're not very concerned about the 1/5 users who can't use their product. If most of these people reached out to you about their reactions and you had to refund them (as seems to be the case with the Fitbit Flex,Fitbit Charge, Fitbit Charge HR, Fitbit Blaze, etc...) it seems to me that the smarter business move would be to eliminate the problem entirely. 

nickelisitchy
First Steps

Please make an attractive tracker that is nickel free. The alta is so cute and just what I want but I can't pay $130 for something that I am allergic to. 

AmandaM555
First Steps

Shame on you Fitbit.  Since the European Union passed a law that outlaws nickel in all products that come in contact with the skin about 10 years ago, even in Canada where we don't have that law either, I've barely had any problems with jewelry, jean buttons, and belts, except for the odd cheap belt or purse clasp etc.  I cannot believe that a product as expensive and as up until now I thought cutting edge and high-end as Fitbit would claim "surgical grade stainless steel" and yet everyone with a nickel allergy is bothered by it.  Unbelieveable fitbit.  As the other person already mentioned, 15-20% of women are allergic to nickel.  You're throwing away a big piece of market share.  please fix asap.

KiaCat
First Steps

I do not actually have a Fitbit but I was in the market for one and did my research. I was told by a Fitbit Customer Service employee on chat that all Fitbit models likely contain traces of nickel. Being that some potential and current customers have nickel allergies that cause skin breakouts upon contact, it would be great to see a transition to nickel-free materials or at least a nickel-free option. Until then, I'll have to pass on the Fitbit. I was really looking forward to buying the Special Edition Lavender & Rose Gold Charge 2 model but I'm glad I found out about the nickel before I bought it.

Lindaelinor
First Steps

Well, all these comments reflect my opinion as well. However, the common, lowly Flex is hypoallergenic!!! I've been wearing one since May 1, 2016. I love it, but my husband wants to buy me a newer model for a present so I started doing my research and unfortunately you have a bad record for nickel allergy sufferers! I saw a DIY remedy you published about carefully separating the clasp and painting it with this plastic product you can buy on Amazon....what??? Why can't you market it with the modifications? I know you are missing out on a big market and I would be willing to let my husband pay more for it! (Little humour there 🤣)

JacStn
First Steps

PLEASE, PLEASE, can you make a Nickel free Fitbit, I am desperate to have one, to help me stay fit but I have a severe nickel allergy.  Please Fitbit, can you listen to our pleas and make one.

Thank you.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

Lindaelinor
First Steps

So does this mean there is going to be a nickel-free Fitbit soon? My anniversary is coming up!

Miller16018
Jogger

Please make your products allergy free there is a growing population out there that cannot wear metal inexpensive metals your original products did not have metal why can't you make the HR products without metal like the charge 2 or the Alta HR people that are allergic to inexpensive metals of any kind even the surgical steel want something that will not rub against their skin and cause a huge irritating burning weeping rash

Moderator Edit Labels. 

Lindaelinor
First Steps
Well said thank you

This message was sent to you by Linda
lrperry
Jogger

I currently have a Charge HR. Received a Charge 2 today as an early Mother's Day gift. In tiny print on the side of the box, I mean really tiny, it says it contains nickel. I'm highly allergic and now have to return a very thoughtful gift. Seriously, folks, nickel allergies are common enough that you put it on the box, why not make it visible so this doesn't happen? Better yet, make these without nickel! I'd love to have a newer fitbit, but this soured me on the whole idea of getting a new one because I don't feel like I can trust your newer devices not to put me in the hospital!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @lrperry!

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and bring this up!  We truly appreciate it and we'll be raising this internally. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Byhffsxhijxxxxx
First Steps

Please make a hypoallergenic version of the fitbits at the same price point. I too have excema and a nickel allergy. Stainless steel, or titanium, or forest alliance rubber, or alluminium that doesn't contain nickel.

Dorydebby
Jogger

I found a lot of your bands contain nickel and even at the lowest content I still get reactions, this does include surgical steel. Do you have or can you make bands that contain titanium in the metallic parts, as I can wear that metal no problem, and it would be suitable for other nickel allergy sufferers. 

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dorydebby, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having an accessory band or tracker that doesn't contain nickel, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is currently marked as "Reviewed by moderator". 

This helps maintain the Community and the Feature Suggestion board more organized. 

Sydelle1981
Jogger

Titanium would be great, it's the only metal outside of pure gold I can wear. 

Femke28
Recovery Runner

3 years further and still no fitibit to safely wear? so sad

I want a fitibt but I'm tired of the allergic reactions I get 

lrperry
Jogger
I finally painted the offending Versa metal with clear nail polish. Avoided the glass screens on front and back. Seems to be working for me ok. It's stupid to have to go to these lengths, but bought the Versa with FitBit assurances that it would be fine. They lied. When the Versa inevitably dies, and it will at some point, I'll be looking again for something without nickel - and likely from a different vendor. Seriously, why not use aluminum or platinum or something without this allergen?
Lindaelinor
First Steps
or titanium…I have a Titanium watch and can wear it with no allergy!

Linda
Femke28
Recovery Runner

@Lindaelinor wich one are good? 

Please bring back the Blaze which has a plastic back!!  It has never caused a reaction like my Versa!  Your newer ones are not designed for those with nickel allergies. How about hard plastic (sorry if the term is wrong) like the Blaze?  I’m disappointed that I had to go back wearing my Blaze and it’s no longer supported by your app. 

ckuttner
Recovery Runner

This is the first comment added to this thread in >1 year, but I do want do discuss the issue of allergies further.

I am currently wearing a Rose Fitbit Versa 2 which my wife had an allergic reaction to. She switched to a Black Versa 2 which gave her no problems, but finally died after something like 3 years of constant use. (I have lots of allergies, but no skin allergic reaction so far!)

We bought her a Versa 4, and she immediately had another bout of contact dermatitis, very specifically from the back, contact area of the Versa 4.

We are grateful that Fitbit let her return this for refund, but she misses having a tracker. One option would be to buy another Black Versa 2, presuming the materials have not changed. Or is there another Fitbit or Google or whatever tracker that has a low likelihood of allergic reaction? Or for that matter a Fitbit that could accept a plastic back to protect the skin?  [Our best guess is that this is a nickel allergy]

Lindaelinor
First Steps
I wish they would make the Fitbits with titanium. You could try painting the contact points with clear nail polish.

Sent from my iPhone
Dorydebby
Jogger

I bought the Google pixel watch, I changed the strap to a fabric one (bought from Amazon for about £8) and I've had no problems at all with it, finally found a tracker and watch that doesn't give me any skin problems. The other ones I did get a rash form because of the contacts for the HR scanner or side buttons and even the charger port, but I'm so  happy with the Google watch.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.