Ability to change goals per day, without changing all past days.

We should be able to change our goals without changing all of our past goals.
For example, on holiday break I was happy to lower my goal to 5,000 steps. Or converter, some days I want to do more and want to up my goal to 15,000 or even 20,000...but then It changes all the past days.

Moderator edit: added labels

537 Comments
Starkman78
Base Runner

Some of us incorporate resting days into our routine on which our step goals are likely lower than on training days. Also, some nutritional plans include intermittent fasting or other types of caloric cycling. These are just a couple of examples for why the ability to vary our goal settings would be useful. Planned levels of activity and/or consumption are not always identical from day to day.

msbroberts
First Steps

Yes! I just posted a similar sugesstion.

We need to be able to set different goals for different days. It's crazy to think we all want to do the same thing everyday.

lisonka
Premium User
First Steps

I would love to be able to set step goals by day of the week.  I have very different activity levels during the workweek than I do on the weekends.  It would be great to have a "Monday-Friday" daily goal and a different "Saturday-Sunday" goal.  That way, I could set realistic goals that push me just the right amount on all days of the week.

Thanks!

Michael
5K Racer

I agree that this would be great.

There are multiple other versions of this idea posted, so maybe you should vote for them as well, or Fitbit should combine them. Here are the other two I found:

Idea Post 1

Idea Post 2

Michael
5K Racer

There are multiple other versions of this idea posted, so maybe you should vote for them as well, or Fitbit should combine them. Here are the other two I found:

Idea Post 1

Idea Post 2

Michael
5K Racer

Idea Post 1

Idea Post 2

Allen
Base Runner

Agreed! I always feel like my fitbit is shaming me on my necessary rest day. It's all fun and games until fitbit obsession causes an overtrain injury... 🙂

ohmylight
Base Runner

I agree! Monday and Friday is rest day and Sunday is longer distance. I'd like an achievable goal on Monday when I'm resting and a higher goal on Tuesday when I want some mileage. 

Marmitemadness
First Steps
When I change my goals, the baseline changes to the new goals, so my historic data no longer says I reached the goals. Would it be possible to leave the baseline for historic goals and only change the future goals?
betseyj
Jogger

How did you change your goals? I'm trying to find that.

mrskooshie
Base Runner

I would it if my Flex adjusted the goal as I went.  So it would start with a step goal of 10K (or less) everyday, once that goal is reached it could automatically move up by 2K steps.  Sometimes I meet my goal early in the day and on those days would like to be notified that I reached my 10K  but then what about the rest of the day?  Also since I have the Flex I can't see my step status.  It would be helpful if syncing was allowed for more Android devices.  It says that it has to have BLE 4.0 which my Droid Razr Maxx says it has.  The beta app will show a connection to my Flex but it will not sync.

Starkman78
Base Runner

Speaking of shaming, if I am getting in 10,000+ steps even though it's my rest day, why the little red sad face just because it was my "least active" day? That amount of activity is hardly cadaverous and certainly doesn't warrant chastisement.

mhabca
Jogger

I love my flex, but I really dislike who it looks like I didn't meet my previous goals when I update my goals.  I've been meeting them all along, but as I increase my step (or whatever) and go back through my history, it looks like I didn't meet any because they are not at the new goal level.

Keithmac
Jogger

I actually logged in for this exact request.  My work week does not allow for me to be at the gym every day.  Days that I could set lower goals would be nice.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is definitely something I would utilize - different goals for different days. I typically only work 4 days a week and my step count on these days is many times higher than on days off (because I walk around all day at work). It would be great to set a 'day off target', with a target achievable with smaller activities such as house work and errands.

Liv24426
First Steps

I agree with this SOOOOOOOO much.  One of my favorite things about fitbit is being able to scroll through previous days, weeks, etc on my phone and on the website.  

I have been meeting my goals and decided to up the goal for summer.  Now all of my beautiful GREEN days of meeting my goal have changed and look like it was NOT successful.  

I also use my fitbit to show progress to others including my DOCTOR.   My data is still there but it really is unfortunate that my goal changes.  

I've had fitbit for 6 months and I'd like to keep increasing goals, but I hate that it won't give an accurate picture of previous months.  

Liv24426
First Steps

agreed and no matter what we need to be able to change the goals without it impacting our previous data (goal met or not).  

I hate when I raise my goal and all of my previous days look like I never met my goal! 😞 

Mairiruth
Jogger

Or setting different goals for weekday vs. weekend would be nice too!

nlostran
First Steps

I started out my goal small at 6,000 steps, and increased it everytime I got my goal for the day. However, when I increase it everyday, when I am looking back since my current goal is greater than the day before it looks like I didn't meet my goal for the day before. It would be a great feature if the goals were reset everyday so for those of who change our goals, our history would correctly reflect the goal we had set for that day. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The definition of a "New Daily Goal" is just that "Your New Daily Goal"

Why tomorrow would you want to change yesturdays daily goal, it was correct for yesturday what makes it incorrect today?

You should be proud that you hit your goal yesterday.

I know people that when they started out there goal was trying to get 500 steps, now a month later they are easily doing 10,000+. Do they really need to now change their goal for day 1

nlostran
First Steps

I'm not trying to change my goal for yesterday, but when looking at the history on the dashboard it makes it look like I didn't hit yesterday's goal because I increased the goal for today. It would be nice if the history reflected what the goal was for that specific date instead of going by what it is currently. That way I can see the progress I have made. 🙂

cwright0704
Recovery Runner

I have changed my step goal and my plan intensity twice now.  But, each time I've done it, it changes days in the past.  I want to change a goal for that day and moving foward.  It's discouraging to get better and want to increase your goals, but when you do it changes your past and makes it look like you didn't hit your target.  10,000 was my step goal to begin, then I switched to 14,000 to challenge myself but now I look like a loser in the beginning. 

Can this please be something added to the features?  Or, at least ask you if you want your goal change to begin.  Most people get better and increase their goals.... it would be nice to have this feature. 

cwright0704
Recovery Runner

I agree.  I asked for this as well.  Any goal you change reflects your past performance.  Intensitiy, miles, water, steps... etc... so as you get better and want to increase or change your goals it changes all the past stats which just seems ridiculous.  

I plan to go on vacation and my goals are going to change.... but I'm not willing to go in and change my goals because it affects stats from day 1.  We should be able to change goals (ALL GOALS) and the change is from that day forward until you change it again. 

celieboo
Recovery Runner
I agree! I have increased my goal several times and it does make it look like you are not hitting goals.
cwright0704
Recovery Runner

Thanks for posting your agreement and your vote.  If enough people agree, maybe they will change it. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.