Able to filter specific activity history/stats and select period of time

It'd be nice to have a filter for the workouts. For example, a filter would allow me to compare all my runs without digging through weights/sports/walks/etc workouts (selected dates). This would make it much easier to track my progress.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated labels

221 Comments
Jaspeer
Jogger

It's a new year so I need to ask again... WHEN will the option to display, sort or filter activities by activity type in app or website be supported? I've been in software development for 20+ years and fail to understand why this VERY simple application update has not already been added; I would have been fired from any project that I could not deliver a basic and simple product feature like this for.

As a work-around I am now manually copying my run activity stats into a spreadsheet to track and monitor my run progress to ensure I don't over train and re-injure an old running injury. There is no good reason why Fitbit users should need to do this so I'm looking forward to a better response other than 'this is a great idea and hope to see it implemented soon'!

tcobrock
Jogger

1000x "yes" to Jaspeer! It has gotten to a point that I have moved on to a different app to record my activities. This is a simple request that would take a junior dev, fresh out of college an hour or less to code.

aloiv2
First Steps

Tcobrock right?! The API instructions for acquiring the data in .json format is pretty clear. If I hadn't stopped coding around the time CSS became a thing I might be able to figure it out...but I'm a dullard and the thought of learning how to parse .json with something Python seems herculean...I don't do it for a living BUT I know enough to know that if you have experience for it it should be very simple.

vestedT
First Steps
The year end online report currently shows " DISTANCE" but this only shows how far I walked in a year. There seems to be no way to filter the year end results to view the total of outdoor bike and bike activity miles I rode!?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @vestedT, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to filter specific activity history in the Fitbit app and fitbit.com dashboard. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

w3wilkes
Base Runner

Maybe, just maybe... Now that you're officially in the Google properties Google will put some "real" developers on this and also fix the ongoing issue around syncing. I'm sure Google has developers that have the expertise to do both of these things. At the rate Fitbit was going I would have been surprised to see either of these issues worked in my lifetime!

Kilt
Recovery Runner
1) Add "year" to the date timestamp section of "Activity History" on the Fitbit website: https://www.fitbit.com/activities

2)Add a search or "go to date" function to the https://www.fitbit.com/activities section, so that users can easily go back a year or two to review favorite hikes, runs, etc. and review GPS trails.
Kilt
Recovery Runner

Activity Dashboard.png

Referencing picture above. Make it easier to "go back in time" and find old activities and exercises.

Features request are as follows:
1) Orange section currently does not include a "Year".  Please have it include a year.
2) Blue section only lets you log activities.  Please have the ability to search back in time for specific activities.  

For example:  "Hey, remember that cool waterfall we saw last year?  Where was that?  When did we go on that backpacking trip last year?"  Searches for 'Hike'.  Goes to view hike.  Downloads GPS data.  "Ahh, that's where it was!  Let's go back there!"

3) Green and Yellow sections do not let you go back a year or two.  Please make it easier to "go back in time" without having to click "Load 10 more" a hundred times.

Kilt
Recovery Runner

4) Lastly, a clarification on request 3.  Unfortunately, the Yellow section is currently decoupled from the Orange dates.  Make it so that when someone searches for the dates in Yellow it will also update and show those respective activities in the Orange section.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kilt, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to be able to filter specific activity history in the Fitbit app and fitbit.com dashboard over the years. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

vhsdr
Jogger

I would love to be able to filter from best to worst or worst to best, as well. 

charleskn
Distance Runner
For the app or web interface, it would be great to be able to search activities by the activity type/name (even custom), or to search a date range.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @charleskn, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to filter your activities by date or category in the Fitbit app and online dashboard with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

aloiv2
First Steps

So, revisiting this since my post got moved here. This request is over six years old...how is it possible that this hasn’t been implemented yet?!

LorenzoGerminet
First Steps

I would like to express my support for this feature request! It would be incredibly useful to be able to filter by activity type in the activity history dashboard. The key idea is that it would be nice to keep track of one's performance in a specific activity over time.

It would also be nice to be able to see summary stats by activity type selecting the time period one is interested in. To give some examples of statistics I would be interested in: What distance have I run each week/month in the past year? How much time have I spent exercising each month/week and how was this time split between different activities?

TacoT
Recovery Runner

Yes, this would make the activities section much more useful!! Even a simple ability to sort by type would help.

charleskn
Distance Runner

It would be amazing if the filter could be applied to the graphs, to show increases in steps, distance, zone minutes, etc. for a specific activity.

6BFBZ7
First Steps

I formally request the development of activity/exercise performance overtime. Currently one is able to view the details of a single particular logged/tracked activity (pace, duration, steps, distance, etc.) but unable to compare statistics for the same activity/exercise logged/tracked overtime. For example if someone is a frequent runner they would like to see how their pace has changed overtime. If you can add this feature it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

deepgreen
First Steps

I am very dissapointed with the lack of simple filters on the activity log (as above).  I want some performance monitoring so I go back several months to see my improvements.    The lack of this means I will cancel my premium membership and move to a platform that provides this.  This is so basic.

TacoT
Recovery Runner

Seriously, I have no idea what fitbit thinks their product is for if it is not to be able to see a collection of your runs over time.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @6BFBZ7, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see the details of a single particular exercise over time. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Pro8778
First Steps
Be able to visualize metrics at varying time spans. For example what did my past 7 days of step counts visualized as a histogram.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pro8778, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see activity history in the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Maxisegk
Jogger

I agree wholeheartedly with this suggestion. FitBit needs to develop a way to search, filter, and sort through Activity History by activity type. This would be helpful for users to see how their running, for example, improved over time. Other filters, such as date, calories, duration, etc., would also be great, but less crucial. The lack of this feature is a MASSIVE drawback to FitBit as a fitness app/device. There is clearly high demand for this feature, the objective is straightforward, it'd be easy to implement, etc. Why is FitBit not taking this up?

vestedT
First Steps
Over the last 5 years of mountain biking, I went through the least
expensive Fitbit through all of the models to the most expensive, the
Ionic. This has the best GPS and heartrate tracking when I am on the
trails. I have been waiting for this simple sorting feature to be
added from the start. Feel like Fitbit has held all my riding data
hostage since they could have easily added this simple filter to the
stats page with little to know cost in programming. 3 months ago I
stopped wearing the Fitibit since tracking my goals beyond a day or
month are useless. Maybe now that Google bought you out they will
upgrade this feature to be useful to athletes and stop catering to
people only counting steps.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.