Add Interval Training Timer (HIIT) That Buzzes at a Certain Pace

Hello,
I'm excited about the new products. I am a run/walker, and in training for my recent marathon, a friend had a garmin watch that vibrated at certain intervals. (Ex: if I wanted to have a pace of 3min run/1min walk it would vibrate at those intervals to keep me on track).

Moderator edit: updated title for clarity, merged related suggestions

582 Comments
Lisa25
Jogger

When trying to log activites like HIIT or Tabata, these do no pull up  in the options...when I try and create it as a custom favorite, it asks for the calories burned - I don't know how many calories I'm burning, so I am guesstimating.  Since HIIT and Tabata are very popular these days, can these be added as choices to the activity option?  Maybe they are there and I am missing something, but I don't see them.

boilerdoyle
Jogger

I'd also like to use the timer on my force for interval training.  Is there any setting where I can force the timer to stay on (displayed) for the length of my set.  I'd like to have it on for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes max.  or you could keep the timer on until you hit the button again.  that way when you go to sleep you would start the timer and then just press the button once more to dismiss.  I realize this is a battery drainer, but it would be worth it for me.

mncastens
Jogger

I agree. TRX as well. I'm curious to know how activities are chosen. I can't imagine that "Carpentry, outside house, installing rain gutters" is in high demand.

quilterk
Jogger

I'd like to see a toggle between pace (20-minute mile) and rate (3.0mph) for walking and running. As a walker I really don't care about doing a 18-minute mile, I'd llike my info in miles per hour.

KylieP
First Steps

Dear App writers, 

I LOVE my fitbit. 

What I would love more is if it would help me with Interval training. I wish I could program it to SAY to be Now run, now walk, now rest and I could program it to do that in say -  Now run....30 sec....Now walk....10 secs.... repeat 6 times.  If it can tell me how many KM I have walked, surely it wouldn't be to hard for it to tell me to walk or run.  What do you think?  Doable?

Ceej18
First Steps
Introduce an interval timer into the app with configurable options to utilise the alarm function. For example 30 was active , 30sec active, rest 20sec.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this feedback! 

cherems
Jogger

Yes please! It would be great on the surge

cherems
Jogger

Interval Timer/Training!

shadimirza
Jogger

Hey,

I noticed that FitBit Surge lacks the ability to program interval workouts into the watch. This is currently a deal breaker for me, as both the Garmin FR220 and TomTom Cardio Runner allow this. I think the idea of of GPS running watch is to eliminate the need to run with a smart phone. As it is, I would have to take my phone with me to get interval cues if I bought a FitBit Surge. With the Garmin FR220 and TomTom, everything I need is in the watch itself.

MarcusMarcus
Base Runner

I love this idea!

Janna33
First Steps

This is exactly something I have been hoping that FitBit incorporates into their future designs!

EricainHI
Recovery Runner

Yes this is what I've been asking for!!! I'll pay for a preminum membership if I can get this built into a couch to 5k or 10k program.

HauntedDoug
Jogger

I really want a Surge, but one of my requirements for a GPS watch is to have intervals.  I (along with thousands of others) use Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run method, which uses intervals (e.g., 3 minutes running to 1 minute walking). This would be a killer feature for the Surge, and hopefully easy to implement on the software/firmware side.  Interval training is found in several GPS running watches, but those don't have the activity tracking.

IndyJen
First Steps

Yes, please!

dbrian56
Jogger

This is the only thing that's keeping me on the fence between the Surge and a Garmin. Intervals have been super important in improving my running and I don't understand why so many high-end sport watches lack simple this simple timing ability.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

jrh3650
Jogger

I would really like the same interval type training option (run/walk timing) for the run mode on the Surge.  It's a great product but until it has the interval option (run/walk) I won't use it for my runs.  I have a garmin 620 AND a Tom Tom which both have this feature.  If you want serious distance runners to use your product, please consider adding this feature.

BootcampLisa
Jogger

For the surge, I would also love to see an auto stop and auto resume in run mode. I do not like that I have to manually pause my watch when I stop my run for whatever reason. The watch is hard to get to when I am running in my winter gear and I can't get to my watch. I would also love to have it vibrate when completing each mile. Please!!!!

dbregman
Jogger

It would be great to have basic stopwatch and timer finctionality for the Surge.  As well as interval training timers.  For instance a tabata timer that would count down for 20 seconds, vibrate, count down for 10 seconds, vibrate and repeate for 4 cycles.

einin
Recovery Runner

Please consider adding an interval timer for the Surge watch. 

This would help a lot when circuit training/HIIT. You can even set it through the app - for example: 

every 45 seconds an 15 seconds break. When it starts vibrate once, when time to break vibrate twice. And set a number of cycles to run this 1 minute loop.

This would be so awesome...!

Thanks.

flyballgal
Jogger

Gonna have to +1 this.  I asked in the Surge forums if this would be supported and go no answer back.  It would be nice to set it by time and/or distance (helpful for C25k runners).

flyballgal
Jogger

I think this has been suggested - you may want to +1 this as well:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Intervals/idc-p/606496#M11616

Deltasegmentfly
Recovery Runner
Another Galloway guy here so a run walk interval would be killer.
Don-P
Keeping Pace

Please, please, please integrate an interval timer (run/walk) into the Surge!  It would be so great  to be able to use the Surge exclusively rather than wearing another watch - currently Garmin 405CX (or cell phone) to go on a run/walk with my wife!!  I'm hoping it's an easy code change that could be integrated into the existing hardware architecture.  Thanks so much for a great product so far.  Meets my expectations as I had a Basis Peak and it doesnt compare to the Surge!!  Thanks again!!

Don Pinter

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.