Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
Rich69
First Steps

Well I'm afraid tonight I returned my Fitbit, simply cannot justify £70 on something that is lacking the functionality mentioned here. It's a shame really, the device has so much potential.

drichard
Base Runner

yes please ++

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RickyFitbit
Cross-Country Runner

Thanks @MikeHalsey I'll go ahead and forward this suggestion.

Rusman
First Steps
Smart alarm that awakens you in an comfortable time zone close to your target alarm time.
lcvilla
First Steps

I will love it, an option having in mind REM cycles, please... I will change my Zip to a Flex Fitbit, when it hapens. Thanks!

simulacrum
First Steps

I too would like to see this feature implemented. In general the UP24 seems to have better sleep tracking than the fitbit.. Perhaps the UP24 uses a more sensitive accelerometer than fitbit?

ZacB
Base Runner

1. Their sleep tracking algorithm isn't good enough to implement this.

2. It's too hard.

If Fitbit's taught us anything over the past year, it's that we need to lower our expectations. If you want cool features like this, pick a different platform.

mariton
First Steps

Hello Fitbit team. I would like to buy a fitness band before the end of this year.I like the Fitbit Charge HR but I definitely would like to have a "smart alarm" feature that can wake me up during light sleep phases.

Could you please give us some kind of indications on whether this feature will be implemented or if we should look at alternative solutions? Thanks

derekmski
First Steps

I second this idea!  Jawbone did this and I miss it.

jeffro
Runner

@ZacB wrote:

1. Their sleep tracking algorithm isn't good enough to implement this.

2. It's too hard.

If Fitbit's taught us anything over the past year, it's that we need to lower our expectations. If you want cool features like this, pick a different platform.

Truer words have never been spoken.

amaril
Recovery Runner

I really hope this feature will be added to the Flex!!

teraquendya
First Steps

I was looking into getting a firness tracker, and the sleep tracking with a smart alarm in the morning is a priority for me. The flex seemed like the best choice, but I will have to pass until this is implemented.

Arjov
Stepping Up

no smart alarm ? thanks guys for this post, i preordered the charge hr being sure the feature was there. think i'll go for jawbone up 3 ^^

ethics_girl
Stepping Up

Yes, please develop a 'smart alarm' facilty, to wake the user during light sleep - seems like an essential function of a sleep monitor. It would be ideal to have the activity/sleep monitor and smart alarm all in one device.

However, if it were a 'premium' feature (ie for extra fee), I would not use it - if I had to spend more money, I'd be more likely to get a non-wearable sleep monitor with smart alarm - more accurate and more comfortable.

Thanks.

drichard
Base Runner

yes please add this 

Greg_Wilson
First Steps
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just update the software and integrate this feature into the new ChargeHR!!! If it had this feature I would have pulled the trigger on it this morning when I got my Early Order alert email!
Vesta
Stepping Up

It did not even cross my mind that my Charge might not have this feature. And now I am so disappointed that I did not go with the Jawbone. Having an alarm to wake me up during the most auspicious sleep time was the primary reason to get the wrist band.

tom53086
Jogger

I think this absolutely, absolutely needs to be done.  Honestly, I bought my charge with the assumption that it DID track REM sleep.  I have no idea why it doesn't.  It has enough sensors to allow it to be pretty accurate I would think.  

I really hope that if/when fitbit decides to finally encorporate this, they will apply the functionality to existing devices or at least the most recently released ones (like my charge).  

So far I've found the "restless sleep" feature to be useless.  

Edit: After seeing the above post I thought I would chime in that I too have been a bit remorseful that I didn't get the jawbone up, not as much just for the REM tracking, but for that capability allowing a more gentle alarm.

mariton
First Steps
Hi all, this post has been going on for a year and Fitbit has not made a single communication about this development. It looks like they are just trying to buy time by using this thread "alive" but I think those who really wants this feature shouldn't expect anything from a silent team. Jawbone will probably be an alternative for people who think smart alarm is very interesting
chant
First Steps

I'm impressed (and disappointed) by the fact that this feature has not been implemented yet.

Since it seems that we're not getting a firmware upgrade to do this, would it at least be possible that the API allows 3rd party apps (e.g. Sleep Cycle, Sleep as Android) to integrate the Fitbit alarm in their apps? In that way these apps could calculate the best wake up time based on the sleep cycles and start the vibration on the Fitbit device.

kbucket
Recovery Runner

Agreed. Seems like a simple software update. Jawbone does this and it is very useful.

Cheers.

-Kris

Pinz
First Steps

I just bought a Charge and I really like it.  But I thought it would have something like this that most other fitness trackers seem to have nowadays.

I might return it and get something else.  But please add this feature.  It doesn't even require any extra hardware, just software.  I know that if it had this, speaking of just myself, I would keep and recommend Fitbit.

cndawes
Recovery Runner

Add me to the list for people who'd like to see this idea enabled 😄

I've an old Axbo (http://www.axbo.com/pages/home) alarm clock I bought 10 years ago that does it but would love not to have 2 devices on my wrists 😉 

Dario_
First Steps

I mistakenly bought the Flex thinking that this feature was already in place.

Was the main reason I ordered it.

If I can't find a solution to get a smart alarm (using 3rd party apps maybe?) within 2 weeks I'll send back the device to amazon

Argafarbrorn
Jogger

I would also like this feature. How hard can it be to implement, there are multiple apps doing this already. Also, a longer alarm would be nice!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.