Allow third-parties to access live heart rate data (so Fitbits can act as HR monitors)

Since the Surge and Charge HR can already connect via bluetooth to phones it would be great if you could allow third-parties to access live heart rate data directly from the device.  

This would allow apps like Strava, Runkeeper, MapMyRun and others to use the Surge and Charge HR as heart rate monitors.  

Moderator edit: added label

212 Comments
babgvant
First Steps
Return them. This feature request has been open for ~5 years. It isn't
happening.
Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit. We’d encourage you to make this suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly. Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

Biignegz077
Jogger

I am an avid cyclist and have recently added indoor cycling to my workout routine.  The inclusion of HR data being broadcast over Ant+ would save me from having to purchase another HR monitor and then have to wear two heart rate monitors while riding indoors.  Unfortunately, many events require a real time HR monitor to prevent being disqualified.  I have been a fitbit customer for years and have waited patiently for this to happen, but my patience is wearing thin.  My other alternative will be to purchase a Garmin wearable (which will mean I don't have to wear two heart rate monitors when riding indoors).  I would prefer not to do this as fitbit already broadcasts encrypted HR data via bluetooth to the app and I would hope that the programming to also broadcast HR data via Ant+ would not be too terribly complicated.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Biignegz077, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to broadcast heart rate data via third party app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

tjadams93
First Steps
I would like fir the ability to select the specific data elements transferred between my Versa and linked Strava account. For example I would like to use the GPS and ride data from Strava and have just the heart rate from my Versa synced over to the Strava activity. As it works now you get duplicated activities which skews Strava records etc.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @tjadams93, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use your Fitbit device to track heart rate and connect the rest of your data from a third party app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Geof767
First Steps
I know this is constantly asked for but I'm asking again. It must be a simple patch to allow the live HR to be broadcast to third parties like Zwift so just get it done.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Geof767, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of integrating with Zwift app and be able to broadcast live heart rate, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned; you can also vote for this idea about the option to have an integration with Zwift. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

DeaTho
Jogger
A lot of people are looking for a complete data set for their chosen sports in an integrated platform. Fitbit though do not allow sharing of heart rate data. It would be advantageous to allow Fitbit devices to integrate heart rate data with popular third party applications (i.e. Zwift/Strava) and offer complete data for Fitbit customers.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DeaThothanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of sharing heart rate information with third party apps. I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned; you can also vote for this idea about the option to have an integration with Zwift. This helps to keep the forums more organized and for the team of developers to continue to track popularity and demand over time.  

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

Vampelley
First Steps
The VR workout system requires LIVE data, which Fitbit's current API does not provide. it answers with with a past information. Supernatural needs a REAL time response.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Vampelley, we wanted to let you know that the idea you recently posted already exists on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see those similar requests here where you can add your vote:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.