Barcode Scanning for International Food Databases

At the moment, logging food via barcode scanning is only supported for the US food database. I would like the option of food scanning for international food databases as well with nutrition facts.

Moderator edit: Labels

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

290 Comments
Yokomoko
Recovery Runner

Only 7 thumbs up. Seriously?!?!

deancrowe
Jogger

It's great that we now have a UK Food Database. Pease let us make this great by unlocking the feature to allow us to log new foods via barcode and nutrition labels.

This makes the difference between a good app and a fantastic app!

Come on fitbit, let us scan new foods into the UK Food Database.

Thumbs up on this post to help achieve our aim!

ozphoto
Recovery Runner

The fitbit is sold in Canada so the scanning for canadian foods should also be available otherwise we are getting less value for our purchase. In my mind if the full value is not there do not sell the product outside the US until it does.

ozphoto
Recovery Runner

The other issue is that even popular items which is sold in the US like "Bicks Pickles" will not scan and others will scan but never stays in your food lists! I have to scan yet again why?

I end up entering it in a  custom food so its there when I want it.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

as long as fitbit don't add this simple feature, the more they loose out by people adding foods but no barcode because it's not avaialbe. Those people nice/bothered eough to add food will have stopped adding food and not come back to add the barcode as it's avaialble as favourite foods. 

come on fitbit! 

FitBiker
First Steps

Please enable non-US food to added to the database, such a lot of useful nutrition data is being wasted because we can't add it after a 'missing' barcode has been scanned  

FitBiker
First Steps

Barcode is a fantastic facility but its potential is being wasted because we can't add it after a 'missing' barcode has been scanned - please enable non-US food to added to the database, such a lot of useful nutrition data could be made available to other FitBit users.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

I hope the higher powers of fitbit are reading this because as every day goes by, fitbit are shooting themselves in the foot with loosing out on free crowdsourcing information to build THEM a database. Also, the reputation isn't great to pay this much for premium without barcode scanning. 

FitBiker
First Steps

I've switched to MyFitnessPal as this has a fantastic range of UK food in its database and is easy to use. Still using the FitBit tracker though.

carolinehall
Recovery Runner
Please please please. Can you update the barcode feature so people in the UK can scan their barcode. Myfitness pal has it. So its possible. Not going to pay sub fee for half knowledge base. So once it is up to date ill subscribe. It's a waste other wise.
Tonto11
Stepping Up

It would be great if you could associate a barcode with the custom food you enter as well so that the entire FitBit food database grows.  It is the only way to get more people using the product.  There are several other similar apps out there (MyFitnessPal) who do an excellent job of this by allowing user entries to be uploaded/added to the Fitbit food database.  I would rather track my food and activity all in one tool but it is a deterrent having to enter most things manually since I am using the Canadian database.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love to have the ability to add bar codes for food outside the US (such as Canada where I am).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EmersonFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I agree that our international users should be able to scan barcodes to get their food logged! We'll forward this along to the Site team for further review.

DamianoD
First Steps
I've been told to suggest this via Fitbit's Twitter account. Can there please be food scanning functionality outside of the USA. I live in Australia and it has never worked. Myfitnesspal absolutely wins in this department. Honestly I don't understand how this wasn't a priority before rolling out overseas considering a lot of people like to calorie count, but whatever. Anyway, please focus on this aspect for the next update. Overall I love the app, and the device, however not being able to log food properly is really a pain and for those who are obsessive about logging their intake properly this can be a problem. Thank you for your time.
AgrPrashant
First Steps

Since FitBit has formally launched in India, it would be great if Indian food databse is included. May be started with packaged goods and then expand to non-packaged ones. Eating (and tracking) that you are eating right food is as important as exercising to burn those calories.

Britgirl45
First Steps
I totally agree that the inability to barcode scan outside of USA lets it down. It is tedious to have to input everything manually and I went back to MyFitnessPal after less than a day! I love my Fitbit, have recently upgraded from Flex to ChargeHR. Although on my Android device it syncs well between Fitbit and MyFitnessPal I know this isn't always the case. I am looking forward to my holiday in the USA next year so I can fully appreciate what functions are explicitly available to the American consumers!
tdgreena
Jogger
Please allow international users to scan barcodes, including Canada. I bought this device so that I have everything I need in one device/app. I used to use MyFitnessApp which had a great database of foods and even allows you to add an item. At the very least, allow international users to add items to the database.

This is needed really badly! I'm in the UK and it's so annoying, as I stopped using MyFitnessPal in order to use the FitBit app... the original app worked brilliantly for scanning food and this is dire. It's so frustrating - especially as the data is obviously there!

k00st0ch
Jogger

After almost half a year and one reply form a mod i have the feeling this is not gonna happen, it will be the last time i buy a fitbit product coz why are you selling your products in Europe but you not supportting all the features..

it feels like false advertisment to me... you can log everything except food ? 

blenderfox
First Steps

I used to use (and still use) MyFitnessPal as it's easy to use. Why not use their database to save the hassle of maintainin yoru own? Afterall, we are already syncing from MFP.

ITEM93
Recovery Runner

@MarreFitbit is also directing people to this thread to help increase the votes.
Is there a timeline on when this may be happening? @DerrickS @EmersonFitbit

Does FitBit have a roadmap or forcast anouncement for features in development?

AttilaN
Jogger

Please add Hungary to Food Database list.

I don't see the point of excluding countries where your products are available.

Same with barcode scanning. It is a nice feature, still it is available only for US food database. Why? Please allow this for other food databases too.

Thanks.

lizalex
Jogger

Yes, please give UK users ( in fact all countries !)  the ability to take barcodes and add those food items 

McLuke
Base Runner

Please add ability for other countries (Australia) to be able to add to Database

BentoMomma
First Steps

I would love to see the add barcode option for Canada. I'm shocked at how many "typical" foods aren't there, and yet I scanned a marshmallow Santa and voila! Showed up!

Please make this happen for us Canadians! 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.