Be able to add a note to food diary

While using the food diary feature I want to track who I feel, ie I want to figure out if I am intolerant to certain foods. So if I feel bloated after eating something, after logging the food, I want to note that feeling. Then be able review to diary later for foods that are causing the issue. 

39 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @JohnBray. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

sarahj25
Recovery Runner

I would love to see this feature. Definitely one that’s missing. 

Jysbc
Jogger

I would find it very helpful if there was a place I could make a short note under the day’s exercise and day’s food tracking or at least one comment section for the day

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jysbc! We wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Jmhart1985
First Steps

I am just beginning a weight management program through the local hospital and their food logging requirements include entering notes such as mood. I have used the fitbit app for some time now and would hate to have to switch apps due to the lack of this feature. Also if it becomes available potentially a lot of people in the group could switch to fitbit

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Jmhart1985! Thank you for sharing your idea. This suggestion already exist, this is why I moved your suggestion into this one. Do not forget to give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Celiac40
Jogger

First I want to tell you that I love my new Charge 3! I previously had an Alta HR and using the Alta HR by tracking my activity, calorie intake and calorie output helped me to lose 26 pounds over the course of a year!

What I would love to see added, is the ability to keep a diary within the app that allows you to track how you physically feel on a daily basis. I have celiac disease and adhere to a strict gluten-free diet. However, I may also have IBS and being able to track how I feel on a daily basis may help to determine what foods I might want to eliminate from my diet. I can do this by another means of course, but since I track every single thing I eat in the Fitbit app, it would be so easy to keep it all in one place.

From the things I've read, Fitbit is trying to become more of a health tracker and I believe for many people being able to keep a good food (or other type of) diary may be very helpful for them and their doctor to find underlying causes to things such as possible IBS, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, etc. 

Being able to keep a diary within the app may also be helpful for women who have issues with female health, helping to motivate to reach fitness goals, the list is pretty endless.  It seems like this maybe something that could be utilized throughout the app and may make the tracker an important tool for many people.

Megsmusicl0vr
Jogger

I suffer from multiple chronic illness and would love to be able to track my fayigue, pain, GI symptoms, headaches, etc. on Fitbit as well! 🙂

TrevorP.
Recovery Runner

I think the idea of a "Feelings" field would be fantastic for anyone that is fighting with persistent pain problems. Especially if it was free entry. In other words, it would log the date and time as well as the comment. Perhaps also make space for about a dozen comments a day as most people are awake 12 hours per day !!!

I don't think it would be too hard at all to add to a Charge2 or Charge3 !!!!  At the end of the day, technically speaking it is only an extra field to add to the existing database.

I have the Charge2, whilst it was on sale as the 3 came out, that's all I could afford LOL 🙂 

As you know the Charge2 has a complete British food diary on it's App and you are able to put exactly what you ate into it, even barcodes and q codes work so you are able to scan what you eat!!!! and it is kept.

My Doctor is also interested in what I eat, my Blood pressure and how many steps I manage a day (I refuse to go into a wheelchair) so I just gave him my username and password, then he can look at it occasionally and print off what he needs.

It has worked well since I bought the Charge2, and the last time I visited my Doctor he had my food diary and BP Rate in front of him. He told me to stop eating so much Seafood, it is adding too much calcium to my blood and could be the cause of my gout and then having looked at my BP rate over a month, along with the average daily steps I was managing, he changed all my BP tablets and cut one out completely!!!

Best wishes,

Trevor

Celiac40
Jogger
Hello TrevorP.

I hear what your saying, just keeping track of food intake is very
important and being able to share reports with your Dr. is a great tool,
this can be done with the Charge 3 as well.

However, what I'm suggesting, takes this a step further, allowing users to
freely type in additional information to help track how they physically (or
mentally) feel on a daily basis. This way users might be able to see
patterns, just like we can already see patterns using graphs on things like
activity, heart rate, etc.

For me personally, I know that sometimes I might not feel well for an
extended period of time, but when my doctor asks me how long have I been
feeling this way or what have I been doing during this time frame, I can't
always answer the question accurately, as days tend to blend together and
life can get in the way...lol! For me, I believe keeping a detailed diary
would help in these cases. And I know I could do this on my calendar or use
another app, but keeping this type of diary within the Fitbit app where I
already track everything else, would just be very convenient, not to
mention remind me to actually log the information 🙂

As with everything else within the Fitbit app, some options apply to some
people and not to others. Perhaps a written diary wouldn't be for everyone,
but I believe that for those who wish to track their progress or discover
patterns in this way, may find this option helpful.

I am happy your doctor was able to determine that seafood is an issue for
you and I hope cutting back helps resolve some of your health issues 🙂

Stay well!
TrevorP.
Recovery Runner

Hi 

Celiac40 Said.......

"Perhaps a written diary wouldn't be for everyone,
but I believe that for those who wish to track their progress or discover
patterns in this way may find this option helpful."

I agree with your request and have backed it because I do believe that it would be very easy for them to just add another field to the already existing database that is yours! Technically, it would be such an easy job to add another field and call it "DIARY" or "NOTES".

I personally don't think there is anyone on here that would not find a use for it. Keeping a record of your moods, or pain score etc.

There would be so many uses for it, and I think everyone would use it for something or other!

So yes, I am all for it, let's hope we get some backing for it and someone from Fitbit spots it and brings it up at the next "Suggestions" meeting. I presume there is a small team of public beta testers on here too, so it could be one of them that spots it and brings it up in the "Beta Test Forum", I am just presuming there is one. There is for most companies that make hardware for Apps.

For instance, I test the latest TomToms before they are even shown to the press, they try out ideas with us first, all volunteers from the public, and we have a separate forum for testing ideas and updates, just like this one.

So yes, I am all for it, come on Public beta testers, transfer this to your suggestions page as well please 🙂 you know it's only one extra field in a database, how hard can it be, it doesn't even relate to what version of Fitbit you have, it is a brilliant suggestion.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Celiac40, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Because this feature suggestion is a very similar idea I’ve moved your post here.

MECHA-PADDY
Stepping Up

At the moment Fitbit does not have an option to input notes of your food logs or a way to input the specific time you're taking your meals. This would be very useful for proper tracking of food intake and related notes e.g. gastro symptoms after certain meals. It will all helps to better manage food intake, calories burn etc.

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @MECHA-PADDY! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, adding notes to the food logs can improve the food tracking. I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

R_Sem
Jogger

In the age of elimination diets and people focusing more on what they eat and how they feel there is more to food than just logging what you eat- Did you eat later than usual? Are you in the reintroduction phrase of an elimination diet? Ate too soon before working out? Was "lunch" at 4pm and "dinner" at 10pm. If in addition to having the current food log features there was a daily notes section people could make comments and track patterns to learn what makes them feel the best. I'd log my food in the app more if it also replaced my need for a separate food journal.

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @R_Sem! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

xXKerstinXx
First Steps

When adding an amount of kcal per number input, it should be possible to give a caption or description. So you can remember what you have eaten when looking at the food list.

LMathieu
First Steps

I see many comments about adding a note feature to The Fitbit app....would love to be able to keep my fitness info in one location...even being able to track food without the limitations the app has......I.e., protein shake for breakfast, was sick today, work conflicts, etc. would be very helpful at doctor visits too!....

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LMathieu! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support. You can also check this other: Fitbit Journal - Notes on online and app dashboard.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I’m not sure how this “voting” works, but I’d like to support the idea of a Note / Memo option in the Food Log category!

thank you. 

gracielweaver
First Steps

I have started logging my food and I found myself wanting to write whether certain snacks helped fill me up or not so that I could make better decisions/choices down the road. I came here to add the suggestion but I see this was mentioned quite some time ago. I wonder what the status of this is and if it would become something that would be an added feature for the food logs

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I don't think Fitbit has any genuine investment in addressing this issue.
I got so frustrated with this (among other disappointing features) that I
left the Fitbit family and moved over to Garmin. BTW, Garmin partners with
My Fitness Pal with DOES have a Note section in their food diary tab.
JohnBray
First Steps
My fitbit iconic broke anyway - seems they are known for it - screen just
died, unable to charge.
Only 18-24 months old, I don't think I'll be buying another one
AmyWenslow
First Steps

Adding a note inside the food log section is really important. Last night I worked late and noticed that my eating got weird because it was late when I stopped to eat dinner. 9 pm! Seeing this kind of thing next to the food I eat at various meals would help me see patterns that are working against me. 

AmyWenslow
First Steps

I just came up with a hack to do this. Created a “custom food” that says “feeling -   “ and has 0 calorie and nutrition info. Then saved it. When I want to add a note I’ll add that food to the meal or snack and edit the text. 

Can do the same with “Note -    “. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.