Bicycling conversion to steps

I have a Surge, and I bought it because of the GPS for bicycling. However, I'm not very happy with the step conversion algorithm. Yesterday, for example, I bicycled for 3.5 hours - 46 miles. 67 minutes were spent in the peak zone, and 84 minutes in the cardio zone. My Fitbit increased my step count about 4,000 steps for that entire effort.

Now, suppose I spent that time walking a leisurely 3 mph, for 3.5 hours. My stride length gives me 2,100 steps per mile. That would be 6,300 steps per hour, or 22,050 steps for the 3.5 hours -- and all that would be at a far lower expenditure of energy than my bike ride!

Fitbit is currently giving me about 87 steps per mile bicycled. It would be much more realistic to give around 475 steps per mile.

If this were a premium feature only, I would be happy to pay a bit extra for it.

So here's my suggestion: allow a "conversion factor" for Fitbits equipped with GPS and clearly identified bike rides. This could be based on miles ridden, or on calories expended. If miles ridden, I would suggest a range from 500 steps per mile up to 2,000 steps per mile, in increments of 100 steps.

Or, it could be based on calories expended (a more reliable gauge, IMO). In the ride above, Fitbit showed I expended 2,166 calories for the 3.5 hours of bicycling - which might be a bit high, but not that much. Fully weighted, my conversion factor would be 10 steps per calorie. So I would suggest a conversion setting ranging from 1 to 10 steps per calorie, in increments of 1 step.

The reason I'd like this is that I have some fitness buddies in my family, but they don't bicycle. Since I bicycle between 100 and 150 miles a week, this would give us a more meaningful comparison

Moderator edit: Labels

7 Comments
Kerrydrysdale
First Steps
I agree with this although for different reasons I work in care with people wit additional support needs and when I walk with someone who is in a wheelchair I am pushing it and the auto exercise recognises this as a bike ride if I'm doing it for a certain amount of time and then I do not get all my steps which I have done.
jag571
Jogger

I bought the Blaze specifically that it tracked biking and was understanding it would convert my miles biked into steps - well in searching for these answers it does not - It also does not track elliptical into steps either - and there is hand and arm movement with elliptical -  so a switch to convert those miles to steps would be great - It is very disheartening to be in a weekly challenge - bike 14 miles a day and then only have 2000 steps.  Please come up with some sort of converstion that the blaze will accomplish - otherwise I would have been better off with my flex or the Alta and not this big blaze face plate - since it doesnt help with steps while doing other activities. 

TomOScott
Jogger

I doubt they're going to do anything about this. Fitbit seems to be focusing on coming out with one new model after another -- after all, that's what brings in the big bucks. I guess I'll use my Surge until it conks out, and then I'll take a look at Garmin and some other brands.

Petra10
First Steps
I would ike to see a bicycle riding conversion to steps for fitbit
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi  @TomOScott and commenters, thanks for your suggestion.

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic at https://www.fitbit.com/ionicor compare the Fitbit family of products at https://www.fitbit.com/compare.

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

I think your suggestion is a good one, so I took the liberty of changing the label and title so that it is applicable to future products and exercise developments.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
jag571
Jogger

Well - I may have to agree and where my charge 2 til worn out and then change to Garmin or any of the other fitness trackers that seem to be able to convert bicycling to steps.  I get frustrated biking 14 miles to work for 2000 steps credit.  Bums me out because I have had FitBit from the beginning but they only seem to be worried about pushing out new products - (which the Blaze was worthless in tracking and in lasting only for 6 months) 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.