Notification on Fitbit device when phone is out of range

There are a lot of thrid party apps that will notify you by push notification on your phone if you forget your wristband, but i want a notification on my wristband when i get out of range from my phone.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

137 Comments
joshuaclayton
First Steps

I just recently lost my second Fitbit device and was brainstorming ideas about how to prevent this in the future.

Battery life aside, I think a persistent connection to the phone when the Fitbit is tracking movement would be perfect; when the device stops moving and can't find a connection, trigger an alarm on the phone and/or on the Fitbit itself. Whenever I'm moving, I have both my Fitbit and my phone with me so lack of connection triggering an alarm would be helpful both in finding the device and reminding me not to leave my Fitbit somewhere.

Coin does something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Sx34swEG0&t=75

Moderator edit: Labels

BertP
Jogger

Just two days after giving my daughter a new Fitbit One, she lost it on a walk on the beach.  It came out of her pants pocket to which it had been clipped, per the instructions.  She didn't realize it was gone until the end of the walk, so had 3 miles of beach/trails to check and never found it.  Some sort of locator help would be great!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@joshuaclayton @BertP Hey there! We apologize for the delay.

If you weren't already aware, we do recommend using a Bluetooth locator in the event of a lost device. This tip, and a few more can be found on our lost tracker help article. 

Hope this helps!

AusUsr5
Jogger

Optional settting that will display a message when your phone goes out of bluetooth range. "Forgot your phone?" with the ability to acklowdege and/or have phone make sound/beep to help locate it.

crazyqueet
Base Runner

I would like this feature as well.

JCS2017
Jogger

I support this 100% , I've left my phone behind a few times and I'd like to be notified with a strong vibration on my wrist. Some lower end tracker have this feature, I don't understand why flex2 doesn't. 

Elpakis
First Steps

Hi ! It would be great to have vibration alarms on the watch, when the phone is out of reach and within reach again.

The team from pebble should help with that.  

With honor 

Panagiotis Pavlopoulos 

Clavermed
First Steps

Yes ... any word from Fitbit about this??

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Just wondering what people you feel about the following being a feature on the Fitbit app or charge 2?

If your phone is about to go out of range of the Bluetooth of your Fitbit the phone could notify you.

If the Fitbit is about to go out of range of the Bluetooth of your phone the Fitbit could notify you...

this is not only allows you to track more reliably but also helps the user remember they haven’t got there phone..

thoughts appreciated

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @ivandimov! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

hasdid
First Steps

Please add this feature to charge2.. thanks

MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Sesummers
Jogger

My $80 Mi-fit Bip has this feature. The Versa is better in other ways, but I'm tempted to switch back until fitbit gets their act together and implements it. Hard to believe such a fundamental feature was omitted in a device that cost me 2.5 times as much. 

@
Jess_ica
Jogger

It would be nice to receive a notification (vibration) when you lose the bluetooth connection between the watch and your phone because you're too far away.  My old fitness tracker did so and it helped me several times from forgetting my phone at home, in my car and even from leaving it at a restaurant. (I sound forgetful 😔)

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @Jess_ica! And don't worry I'm forgetful too 🙂

sjamij
Jogger

I don't even understand how it's possible that this basic feature isn't included in a $200 tracker. PLEASE implement this!

theCheek
Stepping Up

This was one of the most useful features of my pebble. You had to install a clock face that supported it, but many times it saved me from forgetting my phone in the hot (50 celcius) car. 

Shlahbam
First Steps

@Jess_ica wrote:

It would be nice to receive a notification (vibration) when you lose the bluetooth connection between the watch and your phone because you're too far away.  My old fitness tracker did so and it helped me several times from forgetting my phone at home, in my car and even from leaving it at a restaurant. (I sound forgetful 😔)

I totally agree.  My Pebble Time had this feature and saved me several times.

Gunjan2
Jogger

This should be must have feature.. waiting for it !!

sjamij
Jogger

My gear S2 has this feature. Fitbit is a great tracker but it still has a FAR way to go towards creating a great smartwatch - this would be an awesome first step!

BigBowzer
Jogger

Coin is the reverse of what all of us are requesting.  We want a notification on our Fitbit that our phone is getting out of range, so we don't forget our phones.  Why does it take so long for this some app which exists elsewhere to be added?  I see posts from 2016 here on this topic.  Please get us an answer so we know if we want to continue with Fitbit or get a different brand. 

Sesummers
Jogger
I think that is what most of us want too. I'm constantly leaving my phone
behind. I want to know as soon as possible so I can get it without having
to look all over the house. My $80 Bip watch did that. It can't be hard. I
wonder if it could be done with an app?
PhantomEnix
First Steps

Pls have this on my Fitbit Versa. 

Daledj
Jogger

My Pebble would vibrate if it got out of range of my phone. Great feature. Saved me from leaving my phone on numerous occasions  

Tashrader
Recovery Runner

Would like to have my versa vibrate when Bluetooth connection is broken. It would come in handy if you were to leave your phone at a restaurant or home because it would alert you before you got to far away and lost your phone forever.

I know the pebble had that feature. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.