Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
jwarkentin
First Steps

@PureEvil

As I said above, you don't compare number of calories or factor out BMR as a number of calories. You compare number of calories burned above your BMR as a percentage of your BMR.

If your BMR is 1950 and your wife's is 1256 and you don't burn any extra calories for the day then you are both on even footing. If you burned 733 extra calories (per your example) then that is about 37.6% of your BMR. Meanwhile if your wife only burned 500 calories extra then she would burn 39.8% of her BMR in extra calories so she would win the challenge despite burning fewer calories than you.

This works because your BMR is calculated based on your height, weight, gender and age, hence it is the perfect number to calculate calorie burn comparisons on.

PureEvil
10K Racer

@jwarkentin,

This is all fair, but even if this is precisely the math that you used, instead of even labeling it having anything to do with calories, just call that stat "activity points" or something to that effect.

For instance, I use a service called everymove, which gives you points for just logging steps (and they collect information from Fitbit), but also give you points for many different activities (including the likes of curling).

Trust me, there is enough confusion around challenges:

• Why challenge steps don't match the dashboard (different timezones).
  • Why manually entered activities don't count.
  • Disabling steps from riding a motorcycle.
  • etc.

Needing to explain how Fitbit comes up with a figure for a 'caloric burn' challenge that doesn't match what is in their dashboard is going to create a whole lot of confusion and/or frustration.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

A "weighted" calorie goal would be ideal. 'Weighted' in the sense of creating a level playing field that takes into account at least age, weight, and gender. There are plenty of algorthyms that calculate exactly this sort of notional adjusted acheivement that takes into account related data such as that captured by Fitbit.

I get that no challenge can ever be totally fair, but this would go a long way to create one that encourages diversity amongst participants and gives a better representation of effort when compared with your friend than steps do.

NB81
First Steps

Challenges for entire week and month,  and also for number of floors instead of just steps.  Also have goal day for floors too.

MissyQuinn
Jogger

Yes please this would be such a better challenge to have it raises your hr and think it would push people to do their best!!! I'd love to see this soon!!!

Yes please!

@jeffsnowcow wrote:

I love the new "Challanges" feature in the new moblie app. Please add a "Stair Climb" challange so we can all challange our frinds to a daily/weekly stair climbing challange!

This would be a lot of fun, and motivate fitness and energy savings via stairs vs. elevator usage. It's a win-win for everyone!

Be green and take the stairs!

Moderator edit: labels

Yes please!

sn1222
First Steps

Bring on sleep competitions!!! It's fun having a good workweek hustle but I'd love to see a competition promoting healthy sleep patterns!

ren98
First Steps

Yes for sure, would be great!!

SJD888
Jogger

As we are a competitive bunch, thought it might be nice to have a challenge like a WWH but with floors or active minutes etc

Jhbuzz31
Jogger

Create some calorie challenges!! I honestly don't understand why this is taking so long to happen. It's common sense. Playing netball I burn a bunch of calories but never enough steps to make it look like much in a challenge. 

Lack of response to this feedback is getting ridiculous 

Sunshinegirl88
First Steps

My guy and I like to challenge each other with things like who can meet their water goal for the day, who does more stairs, or who exercises the most. 

My suggestion would be to add more challenge things.. so instead of just the who gets the most steps. There could be who hits their water goal, who drinks the most that day or even by week. 

Then there could be one for floors. Also one for exercise. 

There could be the goal one. The weekend warrior one. The work week hustle. 

Then people can compete on other healthy things they are doing. 

Also there could be a weight loss challenge one. I have the Aria scale. I am involved in a weight loss group right now. Doing  it on the fit bit app would be amazing! 

Thank you, 

Katherine 

PureEvil
10K Racer

@Jhbuzz31,

Simply put, unless the folks in your challenge are of the same gender, weight, height, and age (all need to be same or very similar).  Calorie challenges are ultimately unfair.  Without lifting a finger, I'll burn an additional 694 calories over my wife on a typical day:

fitbit-caloricburn-woman_vs_man.jpg

Think about how long it'd take you to burn 694 calories playing netball when you invite folks who are of different gender, weight, height, and age.

Granted Fitbit can use a weighted calorie burn, like other folks have suggested, but then folks would be confused, "Why is my caloric burn only 2000 on the challenge when it's 2500 on my dashboard?".

MarkGuev
Jogger

Are you listening Fitbit developers?   Let's do some floors!

Samztracker
Jogger

I'm not a big fan of steps challenge and that's the only thing available which is quite disappointing. I tend to get higher distance but less steps than friends and its probably got to do with stance length. We should be able to customize the challenge goals to distance, calories, active minutes etc etc.

A simple change for the fitbit engineers to think about. I'm not going to upgrade my fitbit charge until this has been done. 🙂

AdamKos
Jogger

i want a calorie or active minute challenge as well!

NoVA_Gal
First Steps

There should be a goal day challenge where each person works to meet all of the personal goals they have set for themselves. So they would meet their steps goal of course. But they would also need to meet thier miles walked, calories burned, active minutes, sleep goal, and water intake goal.

Mcmcgirl
Jogger

Stair climb challenge would be a great addition! I see it is a suggestion from almost three years ago, and also has duplicate suggestions. So FitBit team: when might we see this implemented?????

Diane3104
Jogger

Yes, please! I need the motivation.

CaiteeJ
Jogger

That would be a fantastic add on to the app! As you go up your blood pressure goes down. It's a great workout both physically and cardiovascularly. And more motivating as a challenge to do more!! Please please please! 

Amelialux
First Steps

Yes!! This, please!!! Active minutes, distance, more challenges in general. Spin classes through peloton only count toward active minutes and my mom is constantly complaining that her spin class active minutes don't count toward challenges. 

KHodge
First Steps

Sleep challenges would be great too! It's a very important part of being fit 😉

kytsprite
First Steps

Yes.  This would be great for those of use who need more than just steps or that steps are just another part of our over health and wellness plan.  I would like to create challenges with friends, family and coworkers who use Fitbit to do 30-day or something such challenge around workouts or other exercise.  Fitbit is my FITNESS tracker, not just my steps tracker. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Suggesting a stair climber challenge and perhaps an option to create your own for your group of friends. 

Thx

Charityb1000
First Steps

Would love to have a sleep challenge option.  Looking for a new way to win and I think that's in my wheelhouse.

cjfrye
Jogger

Definitely.  Steps don't  mean anything to Me compared to  calories burned  and active minutes! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.