Create a rating system for apps

Show the number of downloads and the possibility to add a ranking for an app in the appstore(s) - especially for the ionic where a lot of custom apps are available

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

24 Comments
Senorts
Base Runner

It would be great to have the ability to like watchfaces/apps. So people could also see what's "trending" and developers could see how well their watchfaces/apps are received.

jedld
Recovery Runner

Add number of installs in the fitbit app gallery to improve app visibility and give the developer an idea on how many are using the app

thaberkern
Recovery Runner

That shouldn't be that complicated. Please provide this. Would be motivating for me as a developer to see how many people are using my app/watch face

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Capitano thanks for sharing that idea, that sounds like it would be helpful for users to get a sense of quality and how many other members have used the app - interested to see how many others are interested in this feature.

I also wanted to link anyone interested in this to this suggestion to add a like button apps.

Thanks for sharing

ChrisSwim
Base Runner

Yes, this is a basic feature that really should already be available in the app gallery

Mark2018
Distance Runner

Hi,

and App release date.

So it should be also possible to search app in a selected range!

Thank you

Regards

Mark

CoulterJames
Base Runner

Some people have asked for the ability to show which apps are new/updated in the App Gallery. I'd also like the ability to rate or review apps, that way I can sort by highest rated, or at least look at what other users have to say about an app before downloading it.

CoulterJames
Base Runner

As a developer who has created a clock face using the Fitbit SDK, I am curious to know how many people have actually downloaded and installed my app. Not only would it be useful for me, but it would also allow people to search for apps in the gallery by popularity (based on number of downloads).

As an extension of this, it would be useful to know how many "active" users there are of my app (people who downloaded it but who have subsequently uninstalled it).

GorillaGirl79
Recovery Runner

Hi,

Love my Versa and have the following ideas to improve the Clock Face Gallery.

1. Ability to mark favorites (heart or thumbs up)

2. Ability to see purchased faces

3. Ability to rate and review faces

4. Ability to filter (newest, most liked...)

5. Ability to store multiple faces in the My Clock section. It would be great if these saved faces would also have any customization saved as well.

Lastly, not sure if it is my phone (iPhone 5s) or the app, but both the Clock Face and App galleries are very slow to load. Feels very clunky while using.

Hope to see UI improvements soon!

Lynnanine
Base Runner

These would be some great quality of life improvements! Being able to browse at a PC might be helpful too.

Agree 100%. And it’s not just your phone — I have an iPhone 8+ that still struggles with loading the clock face gallery in the app as well.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Capitano and commenters, I've merged the separate feature suggestion for a 'like button' in the gallery as they're both after getting a better sense of popular/the most useful apps. Our team here is considering implementing this. For now, they are discussing creating a ranking/liking system as opposed to the number of downloads, as the latter is not always representative of quality (lots of apps are downloaded and soon after uninstalled). Keen to hear your thoughts on that and whether you still want to see # of downloads as a separate/secondary metric.

I do not have a timeline at the moment, please continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

CoulterJames
Base Runner

@LizFitbit Thanks for the update. A ranking/popularity feature is a must as the number of apps and clock faces continues to grow. However, as a developer, it would be useful to know:

1. how many times my app has been downloaded, and

2. how many “active” installations there are i.e. if an app is subsequently uninstalled by a user, it wouldn’t count.

These metrics wouldn’t be visible to users of the Fitbit app, I see it more as a GAM feature only. With these metrics, I could decide whether or not to continue developing or promoting an app that has a very low user base and concentrate on the more popular apps.

Capitano
Tempo Runner

@LizFitbit   @CoulterJames

Thanks for your message and status update.

I agree with the idea of CoulterJames. It's very interesting to report both the number of downloads and the number of uninstallations. I suppose it's possible to determine this by Fitbit.

The number of downloads is in fact not really a significant number but it's interesting, so I'd like to see it. But to have a more significant statement for an app or a clockface it's also important to have the possibility to add a comment and also to have an one-click-rating-system for an app or a clockface like the suggested like button or a x-stars-out-of-y-rating (like for example this one : http://wimmer-michel.de/VirtualPartner/index_en.html#Bewertung 😉 )

Regards

Capitano

fitgilbert
Stepping Up

PLEASE at least add favoriting faces and view them so they're easy to get back to.

BeBetter
Jogger

I would like to see an option for a user to give a star rating as well as provide feedback on downloadable apps. (edit: Please also include # of downloads/installs and # of ratings.) This is an important function for filtering out apps that are buggy.  Without this and also without knowing the vetting process for 3rd party apps, it is unsettling to be downloading unknown code into our devices, even though that is the point of a "smart" watch. Currently the only feedback option presented refers to breaking the law or being threatening.  Low quality code might be a big headache but it's not against the law 😉.  Please consider adding this rating/feedback capability soon!  I think it would be an encouragement for developers as well. Being popular is important!

Odyssey13
Community Legend

Where would you want the feedback to be on the Fitbit App when it already exists on Google Play Store and Apple Store?

BeBetter
Jogger

Hi @Odyssey13. The Fitbit app has a page/screen that lists apps that can be downloaded to Fitbit smartwatches.  In my case I would be selecting apps to install on my Versa. The apps are created both by Fitbit and anyone else but do not have ratings and feedback option so it's pretty much a blind install.  I did neglect to add to the request that it should also list the number of downloads and reviews which gives a clearer picture of public opinion or newness of an app.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @GorillaGirl79 and commenters, thanks for sharing this idea and for voting for it. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You might be interested in voting for these suggestions too: 

-Indicate License Type (Paid/Free) Clock faces prices

-Favorite section for recently used Clock Faces in Ionic/Versa

-Highlight new watchfaces and apps in Fitbit App Gallery

Keep adding your ideas and comments!

Dunekn
5K Racer

Hello the community

It can be nice to have stats on gallery app management for developpers

For exemple

Number of views

Number of installation

Thank you for your thumb up

peterlindsay
Runner

@CoulterJamesTotally agree with you.

This is an essential feature for developers!

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the App Gallery for Versa family and Ionic Smartwatches. You'll now be able to:

• Rate an app/clock face and change your rating in the description.
  • View the overall rating and number of users that have rated the app/clock face in the description.

@Capitano, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Capitano
Tempo Runner

Thanks a lot

Capitano

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.