Decimal point when adding custom foods on app

I am not able to add the decimal point to custom foods on the app. I use the phone app all the time for convenience.it would be much better for me not to have to add everything online .. please address this issue ...thank you

Moderator edit: Added Labels

53 Comments
jaqs531j
Recovery Runner

Why were these removed in the update? How are you supposed to enter nutritional values like 2.5?

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Status changed to: Under Consideration
DaveKFitbit
Keeping Pace
Thanks for the feedback, we're aware of the issue.
LisaS2305
First Steps
Would really like a place on the app for a short note so I can describe why I did or didn't reach my goal. If I'm in holidays and walk a huge amount I'd like to have a space to say what I did. Or if I was ill and not able to be active I could keep track.
jfkrueger
Premium User
Jogger

I would like to track my caloric intake as accurately as possible. I was recently entering a food of which I eat quite frequently and to my surprise, when I went to enter the fat grams (which is 1.5) it would not let me enter a decimal, forcing me to enter a whole number and round up to 2. I eat this food often enough to where the extra half-gram per serving is going to add up pretty quick and give me a false representation of my fat intake. I don't understand why this limitation exists, please remove it and allow the user to enter decimal values when entering food items into the food database. I was using my android turbo if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Michael
5K Racer

@jfkrueger The web site allows you to enter decimals, so for now you can just create/edit your foods via the web, while hopefully Fitbit updates the Android app to allow decimals.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
when I create a new food the app rounds up or down the figure? For example 1.4grams of fat changes to 1gram??? What's the point in that? when I first started using the app prior to the latest destructive updates, the app did not round up or down. So it's not a new feature we want, it's what has been changed by fitbits updates
BWilsonSr
Recovery Runner

I agree whole heartedly. The fact we have to go to the dashboard to alter food is absolutely ridiculous!

Kmhausle
First Steps

I have been using the app for over a year. I love everything about it except fof something in the custom food entry that I feel was overlooked, the inability to use decimals when entering the information. I have to create a lot of custom foods because I'm gluten intolerant and many foods aren't in the database. 

When entering many of these foods I have to round up or down, which changes the information. Many times I have to leave the information blank as I can't enter anything below 0, such as 0.5 g.

Please, please fix this. It would make food entry much more accurate and reliable.

Thank you.

Moman126
Base Runner
Not sure what device you are using, but changing the type of keyboard used may correct this. On my Samsung Galaxy S5 I switched to the Swype keyboard to correct what you are describing.
Kmhausle
First Steps
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and don't appear to be able to switch the
keyboard.
Thank you, though.

*‎"I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun."*
- Katharine Hepburn
Seb86
Jogger

I have the same issues as well and really suprised that not many people actually put this into the request. I'm using samsung S4 and if some can enter decimal then this is definitely a bug. Its common sense for the app to have this feature. Why would we even need to put this into the request feature? waste of time.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

When adding food to the log, we are forced to use ridiculous fractions. Not only is the list seemingly arbitrary with the options it offers (I can add 1/5 but not 2/5, yet somehow 7/8 is a choice), most of the world doesn't use fractions as much as the US does. Please make it possible to enter values such as "1.4" or "3.7" for servings in the food log.

I understand that there is an argument to be made for fractions in terms of accuracy for thirds or sixths, but for almost any other situation decimal numbers are better, and more easily understood by most of the world.

Thank you.

MelBogey
First Steps

I also have the same issue when attempting to add cutom foods from my mobile phone.  I recently moved to a LG G3 Android 5.0 and FitBit App Version 2.2 (2182926).  The decimal point key is available, no issue there, but the application refuses to accept any input from it.  Hen's teeth are more common than a food with nutrition values stated in whole numbers only.  It was be great if we could have this one fixed/added or whatever it needs to make the decimal point available and register.  

Thx & Cheers! 😄

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello there, as some of you already know, the use of decimal is limited to the web based Dashboard. Since is the only place where you can use a decimal to enter custom food. I really believe this is a great suggestion to implement in the mobile app for better convenience at the moment to log food.

Keep voting for this idea for future consideration and thank you for your feedback.

HikerG
Jogger
I would also like a note feature! Not only for a reminder of what I did differently etc but also in the exercise field! I'm an avid hiker & there isn't a way to title my hikes so I can see my progress when I do them again!
HikerG
Jogger
I have a Charge HR & agree that s note feature is needed
Nyssard
Recovery Runner
Let us enter decimals when adding custom foods to the app, right now we have to either enter the info higher or lower than what is listed
kieranbrady
Jogger

Been reading this thread because I have the same problem...

But I can't add decimal points even on the website...

Each food I enter with a nutritional value that includes the decimal point (e.g. Saturated Fat 2.6) results in an error when I try to save it. Forcing me to round-up or round-down.

That's not accurate and over the course of a week can REALLY skew the total values of nutrient intake and cause a HIT or MISS on personal targets... Man Sad

What can we do to address this?

sevk
Recovery Runner

Fitbit people doesn't know that some countries uses decimal points in food infos.

It is better change devices something else. Sad thing to do but it seems only way get this right.  

sevk
Recovery Runner

We need buy some decimal points to Fitbit CEO. They just add new features in mobile app and dont fix old features. Very sad, very sad. 

Endomorphius
Recovery Runner
When i add food in the menu Custom then i can't make decimal numbers like 2,7 or something like that. I only can make numbers like 2 or 3. I hope with the next App update i can make decimal numbers.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fab Cat Happy

Someday someone can explain to me why we should have to feature request decimal points. *facepalm*

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner
So does this mean that everything recorded in the Fitbit app is inaccurate?
Endomorphius
Recovery Runner

hi @indubitablyfish,

I want this option because when i enter my custom foods i can't enter 2,3 grams protein or 24,6 grams of carbs. I can only make round numbers like 2 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbs. I like a thight meal plan so that's why i want to insert my numbers the correct way at my phone... I can only do it with decimals on the website and not in the app.

And why should i have a wristband that "views" heartrate 24/7 and keeps track of me all day long and not make a proper mealplan WITH THE CORRECT NUMBERS. Otherwise i don't have to buy a watch of $250,- *facepalm* Cat Wink

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.