Extend the 10 day period tracker

At present periods lasting more than 10 days cannot be logged accurately. I have endometriosis. My periods are random and last a lot longer than that. I am on day 43 on this period for example. I can't use your tracker because it won't allow me to log more than 10 days if bleeding. please consider extending this to an unlimited amount so people outside the norm can use this service too. 

94 Comments
Gemsgascon
First Steps

Although I do appreciate the inclusion of being able to track your menstrual cycle and symptoms , I find it frustrating that I can’t add more than 10 days of being on your menstrual cycle. 

Some women experience menstrual cycles longer than 10 days , due to many reasons. I would appreciate being able to track my menstrual cycle without being limited . 

lizlouise
First Steps

I would ask for the 10 day limit to periods to be removed. I have been using a different app to track my periods that does not have a day limit. I was excited about the addition of the tracking tile to the Fitbit app, but disappointed that I cannot accurately track my periods due to 10 day limit. For now, I’m going to give the Fitbit tile a try, but I’m going to have to double log to be able to properly track how long my periods last.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter @Gemsgascon

I can absolutely see how this can be frustrating and having it open can be extremely helpful to users.

Let's see what other members of the Forums have to say about this.

jaclin
Base Runner

wow...I feel sorry for you gals.  I don't know why there has to be a limit.  I know it's got to be really rare to go over 10 days, but I imagine there might be health problems or even certain diets that might cause it.  It can't be that hard to modify the coding, can it?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @MissJules!

Michitomo
First Steps

I have this problem as well and frequently have 45+ day long periods. The female health tracker is useless to me if we can’t log periods longer than 10 days. 

Teoma
First Steps

I agree, I don't understand the reasoning behind the limitation in the first place, but there are a lot of women who don't fit in the "2-8 days" category and it would be nice if this feature were actually useful for all of us. I had a 45 day period as well due to my BC implant and I need to track accurately to report the irregularity to my doctor. Please consider lifting the limitation. 

Teoma
First Steps

I just wanted to add, I really love my Fitbit Charge 2 (it was a Mother's Day gift) and I'm thrilled with it anyway, it's a fantastic health tracker. Thank you for adding the female health tracking feature, I look forward to being able to use it someday. 

SharlaMarie
Jogger

I have this issue also. I was excited about condensing to one app for tracking absolutely everything and now I still have to use my other period app. Also, the other app has a widget that is a countdown for your cycle. Can we have this also so those of us without an Ionic or Versa can see it right on our home screen without having to physically check the app every single time? I rely a lot on my widgets.

Tess0444
Jogger

I agree. I have had 2 miscarriages and you bleed for a while after. (The same thing happens after birth.) My 2nd miscarriage I bleed for 14 days. People should be able to track that. 

SassyMcSass
First Steps

I regularly have 11 day cycle, which is no fun as is, but yes increasing the limit or removing it would be a good consideration. 

crazyseamonkey
First Steps

This could be a great feature if only a period could be any length and same with the cycle length. My period last was 21 days long so I cannot enter this information in to the tracker. There is a variety of reasons a period or cycle could be a different length so would be great if the tracker was more inclusive.

Sparkler17
First Steps

Yes please make it longer, I actually just emailed customer support over this and I am glad to see I am not the only person experiencing this limitation 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I definitely agree that the 10 day limit should be extended or removed. I also contacted customer service over this issue, and they directed me here. Based on the reply I received, and the popularity of this subject, it's ​safe to assume they'll tweak it. I'm also looking forward to put this ability into full effect

TheFitKat
First Steps

The way the current Menstrual tracker is set up alienates people with PCOS whose periods could last more than the "normal" ten day max. For example, some could last up to 52 days, but someone with that issue cannot input that info for that aspect of the app to actually be useful for their particular situation.

Please update it so it functions for all period types. (Check out the Flo app for ideas if needed)  

sianhix
First Steps

I was excited when Fitbit added period tracking - soon to be disappointed to find that apparently I can only have a period that lasts for a maximum of 10 days! 

Most of mine last between 7 and 20 days! Sometimes longer.  

Please make it unlimited! 

BOOKWORM_
First Steps

I absolutely agree. I was about to suggest the same thing. I have PCOS, & am on day 20 of this cycle, however I have to use another app to properly track.

itskl
First Steps

Also have endometriosis and longer periods. Almost always go over 10 days, so it would be a lot easier if I could accurately track my information! The app I currently use has the ability to add however long you need, so can't see why this would be a problem?

FHT
Stepping Up

I 100% agree with this and was actually going to start a new thread.

I myself have PCOS and will bleed for weeks at a time then not bleed for months at a time.

Because they have limited the cycle length to 10 days it makes the health tracking feature useless to me and will keep using the flo app which works wonderfully. 

Please change this fitbit as it would be nice to keep everything health related on 1 app not several different ones. 

Emberni
Jogger

I also have a cycle that can be less than 11 days so removing the minimum as well as maximum would be useful 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Dear Fitbit,

We would really appreciate it if the next software update includes us being able to customize the length of our menstrual cycle when it's longer than 10 days; not having this feature affects the accuracy of the tracker in the long run. I'm not sure where the 10 days limit came from, but as you now know, many women do not have regular cycles. This period tracking app is such a a great idea, hopefully it doesn't take too many complaints for this to be updated. 

Thanks!

MrsE2216
First Steps

My longest period was 59 days and I just finished a 17 day long one. Limiting how many days a period can be tracked makes for an absolutely worthless period tracker. Millions of women suffer with irregular periods. Get with the program fitbit, you just dropped the ball.  

Tigerkin
Jogger

I am not alone!!

This is what I ended up sending yesterday through the "Female Health Tracking" section on their "Get Support" page, and their reply sent me here.

Dear FitBit,

I was quite gratified when you added a "Female Health" section to your FitBit app. I myself have a Charge 2, and my daughter has the Alta HR. We both enjoy the app and the device in order to monitor our sleep and heart rates.

However, I feel that the developers didn't take into account something very important when they wrote the "Female Health" section of the app. You see, I discovered that the app refused to let me accurately track my periods, which last longer than ten days, and the app only allows recording a period of up to ten days.

This is a huge disservice to a significant portion of the female population who don't fit into the average of 5-7 day periods. For just a few examples; women with endometriosis, women with other dysmenorrhea and/or hypermenorrhagia causing illnesses/diseases, women with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, women who have just miscarried/given birth, women who have had an IUD inserted, etc. I fit into several of these categories myself, and my current period is 15 days and counting. Additionally, many women won't even know they fit into one of these categories without being able to mindlessly track it in an easily-accessible portable device, especially one they use most days for tracking other health-related issues. Menstrual bleeding that lasts over 10 days may signal a medical problem, but many women won't even think about it until they see the data in front of them. Being on one's period just becomes a blur, and many women don't count the days assiduously. Further, as I'm sure you're aware, many medical doctors still take women's health less seriously until they see data and proof, so having a portable device that has been tracking these abnormal periods to hand the doctor could literally save lives.

Please consider eradicating that limitation on period tracking in the FitBit app.

Thank you for your time.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I like having the ability to track my menstrual cycle, but it would be great if I could enter the exact days I am experiencing my period, rather than what the system thinks it should be. As a perimenopausal woman, I should be able to log 20 days of heavy flow with 10 days off, and a return to heavy flow so that I can share my log easily with my physician. Not everyone fits the pretty little categories that are preprogrammed, and not everyone is interested in fertility; some of us celebrate it's waning 🙂 ~Thanks!

anewman90
First Steps

It is very frustrating for me trying to use this particular app because as a woman with PCOS I am currently on day 14 of a period. Yes, day 14! I've had periods that last 3 months. It's hell and no amount of birth control helps me. My doctor requires me to track my cycles and what they are like each day and with this 10 day limit I cannot use the app at all. I really think this needs to be rethought out.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.