Fitbit trackers for kids

It would be awesome if fitbit made a tracker for kids. Something like the Garmin Vivofit JR. Maybe make it fun like the Leapfrog Leapband. The fitbit app could be changed to have a family setting so people can set up sub-profiles for their children. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a child with a lot of interest in fitness trackers.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity & labels

62 Comments
plover
First Steps
My 5 year old son is highly intrigued with my fitbit. I've let him use it for a 24 hr period. He loved it and wants one.<br><br>Given the efforts to get kids healthy and active, it would be neat to have a Fitbit designed for kids with apps/software, etc.<br>
KlamathRiver
Jogger
You could just get the zip and have him( through you) log in on to a computer. My question is would you trust him not to lose 60$ or some bully take it from him and destroy it.?.
gtrace822
First Steps

I though Fitbit for kids would be a great idea too.  If the designers could make a inexpensive model, larger face, bright colors and call it "Kidbit".  Kids like to compete too.

plover
First Steps
I concur. My son enjoys seeing my progress on my ipad also. He is so interested in my fitbit that I let him wear it from time to time. I think its a great way to help (and somewhat entice) kids to be active.
plover
First Steps

I understand a hestiation with a fitbit for kids that tracks steps, etc...  X-Doria has come with a fitbit for kids that gives them points for being active, tracks sleep, and a few other things.  Check it out http://shop.x-doria.com/pages/kidfit

mandria
Recovery Runner

Any chance in the near future you will be making a kids Fitbit? So many kids need/want to be active - I am a Fitbit loyal and therefore would buy it for sure! My kids see me use mine and want one - but clip ons just don't work with kids - would love to see a wrist one made for kid sized wrists!!!! They could even compete with friends like we do for steps! Great way to get kids moving!!!

jnhearne
Base Runner

My daughter was asking about this the other day.  I started thinking about it and it would require her to have a smart phone.  I don't want my 8 year old to have a phone or a computer.  But If their fitbits can sync with our accounts (or phones) that would intriguing. 

mandria
Recovery Runner

Not if you just leave their toggle in a home computer - it would just sync that way.  My 8 year old is into running/cross country and I think it would be great for activity levels in kids.  Somehow they should set up an account linked to your for kids....being that they are minors and we need to monitor.  

Dawnw73
Jogger
I gave my 11yr old daughter my old Fitbit zip as I got a flex for Xmas, it wouldn't let her set up an account to use it as she was too young, so we edited her details!! I don't understand why kids cannot use it, in the 3 days she has had it, she hasn't been on the computer, Xbox or watched tv! Why not add activities for kids, like cycling, or tennis, or going on the trampoline. And also goals like eating 5 bits of veg a day. Remove calorie counting in food, and weighing themselves. Fitbit is missing a massive gap in the market by not aiming this at couch potato kids!!!
stevew_68
Strider

I totally agree with this. For kids, maybes chage the calories for a coloured star system like red for bad, and gold for good and whatever in between. This day and age, I think kids reply too much on junk food and dont get exercise because of computers and consoles etc. They need to learn about healthy food, and not live on ready meals and junk food. We are in a generation with the highest amount of obese kids now. This needs to change but in a sensible way. 

Mscasey
First Steps

I'm a grandma who uses Fitbit and wants to be able to take my three young grandchidren for walks in NYC.  The baby must have a stroller, but I'm having trouble inspiring the two older kids (3 and 4 1/2) to walk on their own.  I definitely can't push a triple!

So -- how about a Little Kids Fitbit to be used only with supervision and put away?  I know they would love it --- even if we start by just walking around the block.

jonesjm83
First Steps

I also think a "KidBit" would be a great idea, especially with our obesity epidemic in the U.S. it would be a great way to encourage our children to be active and a great tool for parents to track their children's activity and sleep habits.  Please FitBit, consider creating a FitBit for Kids! I understand there is a law "Children's Online Protection and Privacy Act" however if parents are willing to sign a consent or, for example, Leappad has a way for parents to track their children's progress online in their educational games, if we could create private accounts for our children to monitor their progress with FitBit, I think that would be awesome! I am a Mom of 4 (ages 5 yr, 3 yr, 2 yr and 1yr) and I would buy this product for them all if it were available, I think the market is there.  

csalole
First Steps

Count my vote!  My 10 yr old daughter LOVES her fitbit. It has transformed her fitness & her interest in activity.  Would love to see a platform/dashboard geared towards kids.  She found out about fitbit from a friend at school and now because she has one, her friends are are interested. There definitely is a definite market!!!

MOPx2
First Steps

I would love to see a kid friendly fitbit. My daughter loves to see how many steps I have taken and how many flights of stairs I do each day. She wants to know this information too. She is only 4.5 years old, but I would trust her with the technology and would maintain control. She has a LeapBand which is fun, but doesn't truly track things. She is very energetic so I would love to see her sleep patterns too. This would help with life long fitness if you could get kids excited about fitness and health and wellness at a young age. 

Count my vote!

polarjen
First Steps

I echo so many of the comments here.  My son, age 7 has recently become very intrigued with wearing a pedometer but gets VERY frustrated when it's not accurate or accidently resets itself.  Yes granted the pedometer he has is the freebie he got at school, but I have not been too impressed with wearable pedometers.  We would LOVE a kidbit and like many others have said, have it link through a parent account and LOCK access so no information can get out without parental consent.

Abarrow0415
Recovery Runner

I agree... a "Kidbit" would be awesome! My boys both want a Fitbit for their birthday. Most of the "kid" versions I've found online do not show stats on their wrist. This is something they would like so they can see their progress. PLEASE get on board with this! Linking through a parent account would be perfect to insure internet safety. I echo everyone else... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a "Kidbit". 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us @plover. However, for a user to be able to use the Fitbit services, they need to be at least 13. For more information, you can take a quick look at the terms and conditions here.

Snehan
First Steps
Can you please create a Fitbit for kids to use very soon
Snoopy88
First Steps

My son wants one bad...he says it should be called kidbit

Snehan
First Steps
Same here and I'm a kid and I really really wanna get one because kids in my school also have one

Sent from my iPhone
Stice
First Steps
My kids love my Fitbit and play with it and of course want their own now.. I would buy one in a heartbeat if there was a way to track it on like an app or the Fitbit app or something like that... They get their Fitbit and I can find them if (God forbid) they are ever lost or stolen. Keeping kids active and parents worry free!
mrsdoura
First Steps
My kids want a Fitbit like mine. I have the charge HR. They have each had a zip and lost them. They are 8 and 10. I wish they would come out with a version for kids. One with a watch like strap like the HR, but doesn't need all the bells and whistles. My kids don't need to count calories or lose weight but I want them to stay active. This might motivate kids to compete with each other in a healthy way. It could also act as a reward system. For my case my son would ask to play video games,and I would allow it if he hit his step goal or time active. I just can't see spending $149 on each kid to get them a Fitbit with the watch like band that they won't lose. My mother in law had the flex and she lost hers because of the band, so I will not chance it on my kids.
Lcaustin524
First Steps
Ok so this isn't really a feature suggestion but it would be super cool if you could design a Fitbit specifically for kids! My kids are so jealous of my Fitbit. I've look at some of the fitness trackers for kids and they are ok but I would by a Fitbit for kids. Esp if I could add them to my app and see their steps separate from mine 🙂
zumbaluvr
Recovery Runner

I think that's a good idea. Obviously though you can just put a regular fitbit on a kid. There are 3rd party wrist bands and other holders that can work on a kid. I think the sleep tracking would be particularly helpful for some of us parents 🙂

WilmaDD
Recovery Runner

The zip works great for younger kids... just have to hang onto it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.