Fitbit trackers for kids

It would be awesome if fitbit made a tracker for kids. Something like the Garmin Vivofit JR. Maybe make it fun like the Leapfrog Leapband. The fitbit app could be changed to have a family setting so people can set up sub-profiles for their children. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a child with a lot of interest in fitness trackers.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity & labels

62 Comments
BreNamasteYogi
Recovery Runner
I love this idea. One that is somehow " kid proof " would be amazing!
Status changed to: Not currently planned
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for stopping by! In order to be a Fitbit user they need to be at least 13 years old. For more information, you can take a quick look at the terms and conditions here.

Ainevethe
Recovery Runner

An idea that could hopefully work within the rules is to have pairable "kidbit" add-ons for an already adult account.  So, if a parent has a fitbit account for themselves, you can purchase an add-on band that connects a separate page to the parental account, allowing the kid to WEAR the device but not to be the administrator for the account, so the parent would be responsible for syncing.  

I would get one for my son in a heartbeat if they did this.  

Not only that but they could connect ALL family bands on the same account, so you could see a "family progress" page as well as individual member tabs, which would be fun to be able to set family goals. Only ONE adult would need to administer the account that way.  

BiankaA
Jogger
Hello Fitbit innovators,
I wanted to suggest the creation of an affordable/durable kid Fitbit. My children exercise with me and at some point I wanted to buy the HR Fitbit but they will not use all the features a grown up takes advantage of. Please consider making a fun looking fitbit. I am pretty sure lots of parents like me would purchase the kid Fitbit for their kids and it will promote kids to move since it helps them see and it motivates them.
I hope to hear from you 💗
Thanks,
Bianka
RIkid
First Steps

My 8 year old daughter loves using my fitbit but struggles using the clip/snap on bracelet.  She came up with a great idea she wanted to share.  How about a slap bracelet?  Easy to put on and stays on tight (and it’s fun to use). 

She tried to email the HELP email address and was really excited to see a response but sadly all she received was a message to post her idea here.  She was hoping for more... 

CamillaGarrett
First Steps
Idea: As a mom to active kids who love to bike and ride to various friends houses in the neighborhood (and never sit still) I wish you had a kid friendly (aka: STURDY) Fitbit that has GPS tracker included so I can see which friends house they're at quickly. I know we're going against the grain not arming our kids with phones - what can we say, we're old fashioned. Can you make that happen?? 🙂
mrsbob
First Steps

I would really like to have a Fitbit for my kids.  It would include steps, stairs, a clock, an alarm and miles walked.  It would be great if I could make a subaccount off of my account so I could work with them on choosing a healthy lifestyle, goals, etc.  Plus it would be super fun to challenge each other!  My son is 11 and my daughter is 6 and they both would have fun with it...  It would hopefully be sturdy, but simple, and also not too costly so it could be replaced if broken or lost.

Bjarney
Recovery Runner

I have 2 kids under 13 and I would like them to have fitbit. I have it and love it. Like I see it the only way to get acount for kids is to lie about the age 😞

J14r
First Steps
UNICEF and Garman have kid trackers. Is Fitbit working on one? My son would love to join me in challenges but he needs an indestructible device 🙂
arkph
First Steps

Fitbt for kids ...my 9yrs old son uses fitbit but nothing suitable for a 6 yrs old girl. Looking for small scale, rugged with small bands would put the company on fire 🙂 Fitbit should start working with schools and especially with obesity challenges..healthy generation makes healthy nation and FITBIT can lead this effort 

Aylink
First Steps

I agree with the many requests for the capability of creating a child's account tied to a parent or family account. Furthermore, why not come up with a line of Kids' Fitbit products and accessories? It's a win-win scenario. In this age of increasing interaction with electronics and declining activity rate, tying those two things together and encouraging kids to be active while tracking their activity using their new electronic gadget and monitoring it on their ipads/tablets is a brilliant idea - a great way to make them aware of physical activity and the positive gains that come with it. I agree that calorie counting and weight tracking are not required as we do not want any negative focus around those; however, there is nothing but good that comes out of being more active and conscious thereof. Starting from a young age will pay off in the long run! Please seriously consider a line of Kids Fitbit and/or a Kid's Account.

megrod11
First Steps

I would love to use fitbit in my school since about 25-30% of our students already have trackers.  If there was a way for students to log into fitbit and join their school challenge for the week or month that would be amazing!  I am more than willing to be the guinea pig with my school if fitbit would like to try something.  

Britney1190
First Steps

I think you should have a fitbit designed just for kids. My daughter is 5 and she loves to be in competitions with her mom and dad and grandparents. She has a fitbit one but brighter colors just for kids would be awesome for kids. 🙂

lyn482
Jogger

Agree. I had to lie about when my 10 year old was born and make her 13 just to make her an account for the Alta I bought her. I want her to get fit too and she loves being able to challenge me and try to beat me each day. Huge help to getting her up and moving. Not putting an age limit on creating an account or at least allowing a parent to authorize the account would be awesome.

MH13
First Steps

I would like to see a Fitbit for kids. Very simple, small band to fit little wrists, good band with extra supports so it won't fall off, fun colors, waterproof and a GOOD price. TY 🙂 

LowlyBunni
Jogger

Thank you! I actually just posted the same suggestion. I would absolutely love it if they were to make a fitbit for kids.

Stormdog12
Jogger

I have two kids a boy and a girl and both are under 13 at 7 and 9 years old and both love my Blaze. I would support this suggestion and buy each child this product. I also love the adult view via the app idea. 

1BaseballMomOf3
Recovery Runner

This is a GREAT suggestion!  My kids are constantly asking for a fitbit!  I would love to see a kid durable one but also in a "kid" price range.  I cant see paying over $100 for a fitbit for my 7year old.  But they are very interested in keeping up with their steps and comparing them to mine and each other!  

Would also love to see a kid version pair with schools or local communities to encourage movement, similar to the UNICEF Kid Power!  

miranda_d
Recovery Runner

I would love Fitbit to come out with this! My nephew (who is 7) is using an old fitbit flex but wants one with a clock, and I love that the Garmin Vivofit has some chore tracking as well. Would also be nice if Fitbit could come in a bit below the $100 price tag of the garmin! 

Gacalu73
First Steps

Hi Fitbit people! You products and ideas are really amazing software and devices, but I think you guys have forgotten a population of millions of possible consumers? I talking about kids... Why you you guys haven't created a wearable for kids? Why? There's millions of parents who's would buy a Fitbit kids wearable,
But can you please borrow features from devices like the Gizmo Verizon or the angel sense wearables​ for kids
With GPS tracking for kids that allows parents or guardians tracking the location of your kid? A wearable with GPS tracking, heart bit monitoring from the app that allows parents to know that their kids are ok and wearing the device you can update the app with this extra features And options, and because it will use a sim card for the GPS tracking, please don't make the device exclusively for one cellphone company, like Verizon or TMobile att? Make it universal or compatible with all mobile carriers including the prepaid or cheaper mobile carriers like cricket, pcmetro, bost, etc. I believe if you guys do a kids wearable with all this functions... Surely would be the next homeroom for your company! Thank you

Gacalu73
First Steps

hi Fitbit ! your devices and apps are great! but I think that Fitbit have forgotten a population of millions of possible consumers?... I'm talking about a wearable Fitbit for kids?... why Fitbit haven't created a wearable for kids?.. why?... surely there is millions of parents who would buy a Fitbit wearable for their kids...with the same functions like most of the Fitbit wearables: cal, dis, hr, etc...but take it to the next level by adding up functions like wearables for kids like the gizmo from Verizon or the gps tracker from angel sense... a Fitbit for kids with gps tracking, that allows parents looking the location of their kids, a heart sensor that can be check from the app? this will get know the parents if their kid are wearing the wearable and they are ok?... Fitbit can update the app with this extra functions... 

and because the device will use a SIM card for the gps tracking ... can Fitbit make it compatible with most of all mobile carriers? including the prepaid or cheaper?  like cricket, metropc, etc?  without giving the exclusivity to main carriers like:  Verizon , Tmobile, Att, etc...

I believe a Fitbit for kids with all this functions will be a big homeroom for Fitbit....

thank you Fitbit 

LowlyBunni
Jogger

Thank you for your comments. I would really like to get this idea recognized by the Fitbit company. The more people there are that want it, the more likely they are to consider it. That pretty much goes for any company. I'm glad you've also included some of your own ideas. I absolutely agree that no one wants to spend a lot of money on a tracker for kids, and it's definitely a good idea to make them durable. Making them waterproof would be good, too. Kids are wild. I also love the idea of the GPS tracking. I know there is only so much a company can put into a device and still keep it at a lower price, but it also isn't impossible. 

Yasiv
Runner
Just saying that charge 2, alta and hr are fine for kids. Making a whole new fitbit for kids might not be smart. Howeve i do agree that the gps function would be good.....
whereisheather
First Steps
I would love a Fitbit for my toddler! His school sends me detailed reports on his day via the tadpole app, but I would love see his stats for his naps and play time. A GPS function would be a great addition. I think you're missing out on a whole new product line. I love my Fitbit - I have several different ones for different (fashion) reasons. I'm a huge Fitbit fanatic and self proclaimed Fitbit ambassador. 
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

My son desperately wants his own fitbit with the app like mine. An affordable kids version would be great, they don't need all the bells and whistles like my charge 2 but a changeable watch type strap would be a big plus. Other companies are doing kids versions so it's a shame Fitbit are missing out on this market.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.