Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
vdangit
Base Runner

Is there any way to receive a notification when you've reached a new HR zone, or are reaching your max heart rate? I would find this a useful feature that could be calculated and toggled on/off (to save battery) via the Dashboard settings, similar to reaching your daily step goal. 

It be nice for a future software enhancement of the new surge and charge HR to use the vibration alerts in conjunction with the heart rate zones to notify me whether I am in or out of my target heart rate zone without having to look at the screen.

I.E. Rapid pulsed vibrations to notify me to increase and slow pulses to notify me to reduce my workout intensity or slow pulses to tell me to reduce and rapid pulses to increase my heart rate (configurable depending on your logic or what best makes sense to the user).

Moderator edit: labels

RevGIII
Recovery Runner

I would also love to see this feature added. the HR monitor was a big one for me as I have to be careful not to push myself too hard. I have issues

dclindygirl
Recovery Runner

+1 for being able to tell, via vibration, if I fall below/exceed my target heart rate zone. 

WinkyRN
Recovery Runner

I almost worry that if I am working out and it vibrates, it might lose my heart rate.  If they can make it beep one way if you increase a zone and beep a different way as you decrease a zone, that would be nice.

Daymouse
Recovery Runner

Another one here, having done reasearch i see this isn't an option at the moment. This really should be implemeted to really make use of zonal training. Cheers

bowmansk
Jogger

I completly agree; infact I wrote this in a forum but wrong section. ::BUMP::

bowmansk
Jogger

+1 vote here

bb1517
First Steps

I love the idea of a heart rate alarms! 

Mantelope
First Steps

It would be good if the band vibrated as i enter/leave HR Zones so i can make sure i keep within the right one without periodically checking my heart rate. 

Man Happy

nbkjbmj
Jogger

Strongly agree! I would like to have this feature.

Aren
First Steps

heart rate target vibration for at least the custom range that we set in dashboard

battista
First Steps

I would love to see this feature added to the software of the Surge. You should be to customize at least three or four heart rate zones which vibrate 1, 2, 3, or 4 times respectively when each is passed (from above or below the zone).

lemketron
Recovery Runner
Yes, this would be great. Even with both a Fitbit HR and Endomondo with a polar chest strap, it's still hard to "stay in the zone". The best I can do for now is set the HR to show heart rate when I tap it, so I keep doing that to check my HR, e.g. while jogging.
Cabochick
First Steps
Please add an alert if one has reached the max heart rate. It will need to be more than one pulse or vibration for the alert in case one is exercising vigorously.
SusanKC
Jogger
Since I've already come out of the closet as a baby boomer, I should also ID myself as a RN. Because of this I'd also like to advocate for a notification when one's HR strays outside the recommended zone, particularly if it exceeds the upper limit for more than a couple of minutes. This is a safety for older folks and also for those younger people who are exercising too long/hard in hot, humid weather or when not sufficiently conditioned. Thanks for considering our request. S
Trumani
Recovery Runner

Definitely! And if they are worried about battery life, it can be an option to turn on/off, and also maybe make it exclusive to when you decide to go into "exercise" mode.  Personally I am only interested in making sure I don't reach too high of a heart rate, so if they implement this, it could maybe be configurable to choose which "zones" to vibrate.

Brentanamous
First Steps

I agree totally!  An alrert when my heartrate exceeds a zone would be really beneficial.

Wonder if they could make that change through an update ot our existing Charge HRs?  

Nicole421
First Steps
That is a fantastic idea! I would love that!
gabasjp
First Steps

This idea is really great and as it's more software related it would be very feasable to implement, as might not be so complicated as well.

This features is extremelly important and a strong selling point and really useful for fat burn exercises such as cycling, running or aerobics. It's also very common on specialized heart rate monitors where in real-time you can get the feedback about your training.

arreis
Base Runner

Awesome idea!

anwen1286
First Steps

I would also like to see the time spent in each zone during my workout displayed next to the little heart icon. I love this feature of my current Polar HRM, it helps me plan my training session.

kjgasner
Jogger
I had tried out the Mio device before buying the new Fitbit Charge HR. One thing I liked about the MIO product was that it would vibrate when I exceeded my heart rate threshold. Since the Charge HR seems to have all the hardware for this I wounder if the comany is planning to add this fucctionality to the device in a future software update.

Also would like feature that would allow screen to come on defualt tap screen (time for me) when watch comes up to level (horizontal) position like in the case when you raise your arm to your chest to view data.

Far off wish list is ability to silance ringer on cell phone from Charge HR with simple double tap or butoon push as caller ID is being displayed on Charge HR device.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 for heart rate target vibration for at least the custom range that we set in dashboard.

Maybe one vibe for below target HR zone, and two vibes for above target HR zone? No vibes means I'm in the zone, and can focus on my cadence.

I find myself getting way above my target HR zone many times during a run, and would like some type of alert to keep me in the zone as opposed to having to double-tap just to see that I'm out of it, and it screws up my cadence when looking at the display as well.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add the ability to configure heart rate alerts. These can be auto or manually set. The auto feature would work based on activity under normal every day use not workouts (i.e. if the fitbit detects low to moderate activity but a heart rate at a level that is outside of a "normal range" for that activity level then an alert is generated indicating that the heart rate is above would is should be given the current activity level (not sure, but there is probably a formula and/or algorithm that can be used to derive what level of fitbit detected activity should be associated with what range of heart rates). Conversely, users could be allowed to set these values manually (i.e alert me if my heart rate is over x or is over x for x minutes, etc.)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.