Idle Alert

I would love to have an "Idle Alert" feature added where the device would vibrate if you've been idle for a certain length of time.

Moderator edit: Added labels.

1,041 Comments
Flyinisha
First Steps

I came here just to post that, so I'm seconding this request.  Seems like it would be pretty easy to incorporate and the set-up should have some time range when it would track this so it wouldn't alert you when you're sleeping of not wearing the device. Competing devices have it as well, so it seems necessary to maintain a competitive edge. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I also came here to ask for an inactivity alert. Just a short buzz after X minutes of sitting still. This would be a very useful feature for us desk jockeys!

This is a feature that I really liked and used with the Jawbone Up, but I stopped using Up because of all the hardware problems. I dearly miss my idle alarm, it's such a good health improvement tool for people with desk jobs. Even if it means charging the battery every other day or so, that would be a fine trade-off.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

(I do understand the need for that. Still I hope that if this function comes, the user would be able to use or not use that function. I personally would immediately stop using my fitbit if I couldn't choose for it. But again, I do understand the importance of it for some.)

Laura10
Strider

The Jawbone Up is set up so you can have it turned on or off. You can also set the hours you want the alert to be on and a time-frame of 15 min. - 2 hours, with options in 15 min. increments. I had mine set for 30 min., so if I was idle for 30 min. (spending too much time on the computer) it would buzz me.

trainer
Premium User
Hill Runner

Especially the wrist band devices should be able to do this quite easily. Although I, personally, would like it to be a bigger jolt than the little vibration my son's flex gives him when he meets goals. I would pay extra if it were strong enough to knock him off his chair!! *wicked grin*

EdNap
Recovery Runner

Prolonged sitting can cause significant health issues.

Is there a way to utilise fitbit to track the time sitting and incorporate goals/badges etc to help people reduce that?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not only tracking (as this does not do much good), but reminders when sitting too long (like a certain vibrate pattern).

ajspear
First Steps

Having the FitBit alert you if you have been inactive for too long durring set hours would be great.

zenhpg
First Steps

I came to the community to post this same idea! A friend of mine has a Jawbone up and I love the idea of an alert if you have been inactive for a certain period of time. I wouldn't want it to go off during sleep mode, but during the day when I am sitting at my desk, it would be great. 

I'd like to be able to set the number of minutes, since I'm not sure what would be ideal yet. Then when it goes off I can be reminded to take a quick walk before sitting back down. So many articles lately point to "prolonged sitting" as being harmful to your health, so getting up every so often would be great! 

I have the Fitbit One (I like being able to "hide" it so I prefer the clip over a wrist band type device), but I'm thinking a vibration would still be noticeable clipped onto my pants pocket. 

lancescadden
First Steps

I would love this feature as well. BUMP!Cat LOL

Moderator edit: format

jelfeldt
First Steps

I had not thought of this, but it's a great idea and I hope it gets added.  I sit at a desk all day long and often forget to just get up and move.

dhm
First Steps

Absolutley agreed that this would be a great feature and yet it is a very simple change in programing.  In other words, a easy fix and add on.

LF20
Keeping Pace

Yes please, great idea. We definitely need optiions to switch on/off and selecting in intervals of 15min also is a great idea.

Liz3446
First Steps

Great suggestion!

Briley
Jogger

This would be great for work. I find that I get so absorbed in my daily tasks that I end up sitting at my desk for hours on end without getting up to stretch or take a short walk. It's not only about acitivity, it's about work-life balance and desk health (it can be harmful to your neck/shoulders/wrists to sit for too long at a computer, and also straining on your eyes).

eryndon
First Steps

I too would love this feature. I know the Jawbone Up has it and am kind of bummed that I didn't realize this when buyong the Flex. Fitbit Please add it!

V1CK1
Strider

I also popped by to suggest that aswell - Great minds think alike 🙂

This should be able to be added in to an upgrade, like the vibrate that was added into the activity tracker. No need for new devices, just an upgrade 🙂

BarbDwyer
Base Runner

Maybe even buzz us if we've been sitting to long... I know I get deep in to what I'm doing and time flew by

jnhearne
Base Runner

I too want this.  Doesn't seem like much to implement since it already has a vibrate feature.  I'd think this would be something that would convert Jawbone users too.

Cassian
Runner

I have a Zip but I would totally upgrade if this became a thing. I tend to sit for very long amounts of time because of chronic illness and I'd benefit from a little reminder to stretch, as long as I can pick the interval times.

Blane824
First Steps

I almost chose an UP just for this feature ... please, please make it available on Flex.  This would be so valuable for us desk jockeys - a gentle reminder to get up and move.

CoryD
Jogger

UP is able to do this and is a great feature.  I moved to Fitbit a while back.  Hopefully, it comes soon.

TriGeek75
First Steps

*bump* I totally want this feature, I've been waiting to buy a Force until they add it. Won't buy one until they do. 

Oracledba
Base Runner

EXCELLENT idea.

May I suggest one modifcation to this request -

create a panel lets you set the parameters to fill in the sentence of:

betwee the hours of XX and YY

if one has performed less than JJ steps in KK minutes

then buzz the wrist.

the reason for XX and YY is there are hours that users WANT to be be sedentary.

For example most users might reasonably request that 10pm to 6am be omitted from the requirement to be non-sedenary.  but from 6am to 10pm they might appreciate if FB let them know they have exceeded the allment of sitting on one's butt without motion.

The reason for JJ is many/most users have in mind a minimium amount of steps (JJ) that qualifies in their mind as motion enough to force "the blood flowing again" 

The reason for "KK" is many/most users have in mind a maximum amount of minutes one should reasonably be totally stationary. this concern might be medicatly motivated such as preventing blood clots or emotionally motivated such as "ok you lazy bum get up and at em".

put it all together and you have the sentence to fill in XX,YY,   JJ,KK.

it goes without saying that if the user has started a timer then FB must assume the user wish to record a sleep cycle. The motivation of the user to start a timer may (or may not) be for the purpose of sleep but regardless of the users motivation the mere presence of a timer means we are suspending the xx,yy,jj,kk rule for the duration of the timer.

jenn26point2
Jogger

I too would love to have an idle alert. I sit at my desk for hours without realizing I haven't gotten up and moved all day. There are days where I only log 4000 steps b/c I've gotten so involved in my work. A quick buzz reminder would be awesome and was one of the features I loved about the Jawbone Up (didn't buy that b/c of my fears of hardware failure that seems so prevalent). Please please please create an Idle Alert (customizable, of course, so we can turn it off if we're stuck in a 3 hour meeting. 😉 )

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.