Improve “Raise to wake” (Quick View) functionality on Versa

I have the issue that the display stays OFF very often when i raise my arm to look after a notification or just look up the time.  (Fitbit Versa)

Also discussed Here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Display-on-gesture-not-working-Display-stays-OFF-when-I-raise-...

It is quite frustrating to always look at a black screen and have to use the second hand to touch any button on the watch in order to switch the display on.

—> definetely room for improvement here!

And it would be nice if the display wakes up automatically when a notification arrives.

—> next point on the Fitbit todo-list for future software updates.

64 Comments
jfkfit
Jogger

Please add 2 user settings (I'm a frustrated Ionic user):

1. Set sensitivity of Screen Wake

2. Set stay-on time

At any given time [sic], I am only 85% confident that when I move my watch with the right "magical dance" that I will be able to see something other than a blank watch face staring back at me.  Having to push a button to see the time reminds me of my first digital watch: the classic Pulsar P1, back in 1972.  Surely we have advanced in the last 45 years?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Also, the 10 second timer on showing the watch face isn't enough for me.  When I look at my "analog" watch face, I'm not simply wondering what the time is (at a quick glance).  I like to stare at the face and plan out my day.  Also, I like to look at the 5 fitness scores and think about things.  I'd gladly sacrifice some hours of battery life to have that luxury.

And: if it were me designing this, I'd show a helpful prompt that would show the average savings/loss of battery life (in hours) for any given setting I might choose.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jfkfit! We wanted to let you know that one of the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see it here:

Ionic Display stay on time

Please add your vote to that existing suggestions. You had shared a unique suggestion, so we have retitled and relabelled your original post here to reflect that idea. Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

SeanG73
Jogger

Totally agree. The fact that this is intermittent suggests a software issue. Please address this or else the watch isn’t fit for purpose. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

The Ionic has suffered the same issue.  Got much worse with the shift to the OS2.

MeeGee99
Jogger

Agree, I've just changed from Surge to Versa and it isn't as sensitive. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @MrEngineer

Let's keep an eye on what other users say about this suggestion.

Wkip
Jogger

This is a problem and combined with the issue that notifications do not automatically wake the screen highly reduce the usefulness of this watch.  Is this something that you are going to quickly resolve?

eliebellie87
First Steps

agreed! currently, you have to flick your wrist and it's definitely annoying. If my wrist is already at a 90 degree angle then I have to struggle to view the notification. it should be a simple fix to allow the screen to automatically wake when a notification is received. 

MeeGee99
Jogger

Just found another related issue. If using the 'Coach' app. The screen goes black and you can't see the countdown, flicking your wrist doesn't wake it up, you have to press the button or tap the screen, both which are impossible if in the plank or doing mountain climbers! Renders the coach facility pretty useless.

sylvesri
Jogger

Can definitely be improved on the Ionic also. 

EthanSpitz
First Steps

This is pretty bad on Versa I think. Just got it today...

jayprice414
First Steps

I put in a suggestion of a basic low wattage always on clock. The reason I need my watch most of the time is (wait for it...) the TIME. So i have to "wake up" my watch to find out what time it is... if it was just sitting there I don't think the sensitivity to get the watch face to "turn on" would be needed as much/as often and less of a dire need as it is now... As a versa owner, I 'have to shake my watch" to see what time it is... uh!

mdchris
First Steps

Agreed, this is my first smartwatch and so far my initial experience is i'm always sitting here looking like an idiot tapping the screen trying to get it to turn on (usually does after 3-4 tries), or else have to push one of the physical buttons.  Occasionally will turn on when I raise my arm to look at it but it has to be a purposeful motion which is not natural.  At the end of the day I have a 14 day return period on this watch and if this issue isn't resolved before then i'm returning it as it's basically useless to me, I might as well just pull out my phone and check it directly.

MrEngineer
Recovery Runner

@LanuzaFitbit is this enough feedback or do you still need to wait before you bring this to the attention of your developers?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This may be related to the display you have chosen.  Try another display, I'm using one of the custom ones, and do not have much trouble with the display.  

vpinto
First Steps

As I lay in bed last night i spent a good 5 or 6 tries having my watch in different positions trying to turn it on to no avail. I gave up and was forced to use my other hand in order to press a button. This clearly cannot be the use case for this scenario. I even have trouble during a regular activity activating the screen by looking at my watch. It usually has to be a very very deliberate motion, starting from a particular orientation. 

Hopefully something can be done about getting the screen on a little easier!

SeanG73
Jogger
I’m sending mine back. Lying in bed is worse of all in trying to get the face to wake.

They have said there are no fixes in the pipeline and that all options have been exhausted.

I tried different faces, just the Fitbit ones.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I am using the 'Nothing Special' created by MicroByte, and am having a few issues but nothing like everyone else is reporting.

N2Wind
First Steps

I am coming from Wear OS and this is defiantly an issue for me as well.  I can sit at my desk typing and sometimes the screen comes on, but when I am trying to make it come on, I have to shake my wrist (like a cat trying to get tape off its feet) and rarely ever get it to come on.  I sometimes can tap the screen multiple times and get it to come on and other times I have to press the button.

yoyomum60
Base Runner

I am totally in agreement with this. The Versa wakes up quite arbitrarily which surprises and frustrates me. Should be an easy - and immediate - fix.

Scotepi
First Steps

There is definitely an issue with rise to wake. It only works about 10% of the time. My intal thought was that it was because it's on my dominant wrist (right) so it put on my other wrist and the issue persists.

It should be another issue, but since it's covered here too, notifications should definitely wake the watch.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes this is my biggest issue with the device. If I can't see the time/display easily when I need to, then it might as well be useless.

The pebble had a shake to wake feature, where you could snap your wrist to turn on the display. I think if that was added as an option that ccould be enabled if the user wanted, that it would solve the majority of these issues.

yoyomum60
Base Runner

I agree, it's a real drag. I hope that can fix in a software release.

@MrEngineer wrote:

I have the issue that the display stays OFF very often when i raise my arm to look after a notification or just look up the time.  (Fitbit Versa)

Also discussed Here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Display-on-gesture-not-working-Display-stays-OFF-when-I-raise-...

It is quite frustrating to always look at a black screen and have to use the second hand to touch any button on the watch in order to switch the display on.

—> definetely room for improvement here!

And it would be nice if the display wakes up automatically when a notification arrives.

—> next point on the Fitbit todo-list for future software updates.

mdchris
First Steps
Ultimately this issue was a deal breaker for me and seeing as Fitbit
doesn’t seem interested in fixing it quickly I returned my versa. Too bad
as I really liked the watch but it was just too inconsistent for me, if it
isn’t on when I need it to be I’m no better off than pulling out my phone.
Will consider buying another versa if this is ever confirmed fixed.
MeeGee99
Jogger

Yesterday I changed the clock from Nothing Special to Stats and it is much better, not perfect but better. It now wakes up after 2 or 3 wrist flicks rather than not at all. Not had to press the button yet. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.