Able to sync Fitbit device over Wi-Fi (not via phone)

Hi Devteam, I think it is a great idea to sync the fitbit Ionic over Wi-Fi. because a lot of mobile phones are not syncing or get connected with the fitbit watch. I use my workphone to sync all the time (samsung S7).

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

54 Comments
Neekster_Man
First Steps

I think it would be cool for Fitbit to sync directly to wifi so if your phone is not near, no sweat.

skratchgonzo
Base Runner

Yes! The iconic has WiFi and I have yet to see why. We should be able to sync straight from the watch. 

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

To become a true smartwatch and match features from other watches, the Ionic should be able to use wifi without having to be connected to the phone. There is nothing more annoying than opening the weather app only to have to sync with your phone to get the updated weather. At that point it's easier and quicker to just check my phone. Same thing with the Philips Hue app, I want to use the watch app because it should be quick, but having to sync/connect makes it useless.

There should be ways to control wifi access so it doesn't drain the battery. There can be an option to only allow constant wifi when on certain wifi connections like at home, or have the apps only use wifi when you open them, or have permissions for each app to enable / disable wifi without phone connection.

JayJay_de
Base Runner
Fully my opinion. 👍
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

To turn the WiFi on plug the ionic into its charger.as for weather, I rarely find that it takes more then 10-15 seconds. 

I suggest adding your vote to the existing suggestion. 

Allow Weather app to update from the Ionic

JayJay_de
Base Runner

To plug in the charger enables WiFi? Also for apps? Okay, good to know. Thx

however, interesting work around. Normally I wear and use the watch on my wrist. 

It would be useful at the home network ...as well as if I am on the go - especially without my phone.

So in general, a usage of apps (internet connection) indipendent of the phone would be great. ..perhaps also without power plug ..directly from the wrist 🙂

JayJay_de
Base Runner

@Rich_Laue connecting the charger will not activate wifi - at least on my device.

also not above the 25% charging mark

it seems that the Fitbit apps (Mobile or desktop) communicate with the watch to enable and disable WiFi.

So no independent usage possible.   

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue That weather suggestion is similar to mine, but I'm saying all apps should be able to use wifi without being connected to my phone. I've set up  my home wifi using the app, so when I am home I should be able to use the apps such as weather, Philips hue, etc without connecting to my phone. Even if I connect to my phone but then leave it in a room and go downstairs, it disconnects and I can't use the apps.

Even if putting it on the charger activates the wifi, I want the wifi when it's on my wrist. 

JayJay_de
Base Runner

Other usage scenarios are e.g. if I am on a run ..have finished it or have a break somewhere where WiFi is available.

Or also at the Gym where I can leave my phone in the locker room or already at home. 

If wifi would be enabled for app usage, then you can say you don’t have to take your phone with you. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion @Endomorphius

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. FWUPs and music downloads happen over wifi and there will be some wifi syncing during charge, but wifi syncing out of charger is not planned. 

You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Marauder2, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us -this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here a s it is not currently planned.

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

@AlexandraFitbit I really think that Fitbit should reconsider it being not currently planned. WiFi connectivity without being connected to the phone is a basic smart watch feature. You will find many people opting for the Apple Watch or gear sport instead, or returning their Fitbit, when they find out that the apps don’t work on WiFi. Otherwise, they should stop marketing them as smart watches. 

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

The Ionic and Versa are marketed as smartwatches but it is very limited.

They should NOT require an active connection to your phone to be able to use wifi, it defeats the whole purpose of a smartwatch. I want to be able to leave my phone upstairs and use my watch downstairs to check the weather or turn off my Hue lights, but I can't because the phone and watch need to be synced. 

Because of the on-going sync issues between Fitbits and phones, I struggle to sync to my phone and every time I try to use the Hue app or check the weather, it tells me to sync.

The Ionic and Versa NEED to be able to use wifi without needing a phone connection. Fitbit cannot claim to be equivalent or compete with the Apple watch and Samsung Gear watches without this basic smart watch feature.

I have asked before and was told developers are not planning on this but it really should be reviewed and addressed. Otherwise they should remove smartwatch from their marketing.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions with us @Marauder2

Let's keep a close eye on what other users have to say about this suggestion.

Littlelamm
Jogger

I bought this watch so I could leave my phone while I work out. But I can only get notifications if it’s connected to phone via Bluetooth? So I can’t leave phone in the locker. WiFi connection is definitely needed. Really not sure why I bothered upgrading to this watch. It’s just a more expensive charge 2 as it is now. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

You do realise that WiFi connections use a lot more power than Bluetooth does? If you had a permanent WiFi connection your battery would be dead in a day rather than the 4 to 5 days they can last at the moment. Even the Samsung Gear S3 doesn't have it's WiFi connection active all of the time, it only uses it when it loses its Bluetooth link and even then you can see the battery level dropping rapidly.

To say lose the smart watch label is quite frankly a ridiculous claim, for what you seem to want is something like the Apple watch 3 with a week long battery. No such device exists due to power constraints.

Dimo302
Jogger

I don’t think the op is saying have it active constantly. The Ionic should be able to turn its WiFi on and off when you open apps requiring it, like the weather or Surfline.

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner I'm not saying it should be connected to wifi 24/7, but when I open the weather app I should be able to update the weather, or open the Philips hue app and connect to my lights, without having to connect to my phone. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fair enough, though it would still massively impact battery life as every call on the os would require the WiFi to be enabled, connect, authenticate, transfer data and then disconnect when the app tells it to.  I think the only reason they included WiFi in the first place was for music transfer and firmware updates as there is no data transfer available over usb. As whenever you need to use WiFi you are always told to put the device on charge. You can force sync music in the Deezer app but it does warn that it will drain the battery quickly.

Marauder2
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner that's my point. If wifi isn't really intended to be used, is it really a smart watch when the use of the smart apps are limited?

I would be okay with a disclaimer to say that wifi usage will reduce battery life so it is up to the user to decide. They could add options to enable/disable wifi use per app, or allow use only on certain wifis like home wifi. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have a Versa, and I love the WiFi features. Except, I really don't like to have to connect via the mobile app all the time. There should be an update where you can connect to saved WiFi networks in the settings app on your Versa.

Moderator Edition: Labels 

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

msrivastav13
First Steps

I feel like this should work with wifi seamlessly else no point in having apps .This defeats purpose of using this as a smart watch .

@Marauder2 wrote:

They should NOT require an active connection to your phone to be able to use wifi, it defeats the whole purpose of a smartwatch. I want to be able to leave my phone upstairs and use my watch downstairs to check the weather or turn off my Hue lights, but I can't because the phone and watch need to be synced. 

Because of the on-going sync issues between Fitbits and phones, I struggle to sync to my phone and every time I try to use the Hue app or check the weather, it tells me to sync.

The Ionic and Versa NEED to be able to use wifi without needing a phone connection. Fitbit cannot claim to be equivalent or compete with the Apple watch and Samsung Gear watches without this basic smart watch feature.

I have asked before and was told developers are not planning on this but it really should be reviewed and addressed. Otherwise they should remove smartwatch from their marketing.

@Marauder2 wrote:

@Marauder2 wrote:

Ruicosta90
Jogger

Hello,

every time i wnat to use wifi in my watch I need to connect with the app and search the wifi, can you integrate that function in the versa watch?

Thank You

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.