Keep clock face/device screen on for longer

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

270 Comments
kmatatall
First Steps

Recently I’ve been involved in a lot of ems work and it would be super helpful to be able to set a specific time for how long you want your screen to stay on rather than having the to flick your wrist. I have a charge 2 and it is rather difficult to take the patients heart rate while you’re trying to flick your wrist every second to count. Having a screen with a hand clock that has the third hand to count the seconds would even be helpful. Thank you, I hope this is taken into consideration.

Camille1103
First Steps

I suggest that there be an option to allow the watch face/screen/display to be on longer. I work in the hospital and would like the option to have the screen on in increments like 30 seconds or a min before time out if not an always on display. I use it to count respirations per min.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

eliebellie
First Steps
Given that the Versa has a 4-day battery life, I think the option to have an "always-on" display with a limited battery life would appeal to more people. There are a lot of Pebble-Watch users that absolutely love this feature. Personally, I wouldn't mind having to charge my watch everyday if it meant I had the option to always keep my display on. I also invite anyone from your team to view the feedback that's already being provided on www.reddit.com. You'll find that this is a very desirable feature. Thank you!
KateM15
Jogger

I need an “always on” feature for the watch or I’m going to have to move to another platform. I begin nursing school and My health is important but I’m not going to wear 2 watches just because the Fitbit can’t stay lit up long enough for me to read a pulse. Very frustrating. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi Everyone, 

Unfortunately we've had a technical glitch with this suggestion whereby all of the comments that were attached to it are no longer visible. They do however still exist on a site that is not publicly visible and have been read and noted internally, which is why this suggestion is under consideration.

As I had mentioned in an earlier update, this feature is under consideration for Fitbit Ionic (and future smartwatches) but will not be retroactively applied to other Fitbit trackers such as Blaze, Charge 2 etc. This feature also currently exists via third party clock faces for Fitbit Ionic and Versa where you can keep the screen on constantly in settings (these clock faces are noted below in the comments, but please note that they can change). Please note that this will impact battery life. For the many medical professionals who requested the screen staying on for longer (such as 60 seconds), this is also under consideration as an additional setting (current backlight duration is up to 20 seconds on Fitbit Ionic and Versa). As per our FAQs, we will incorporate your feedback into future models if it's not viable to release it on existing products.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello friends! I hope you're all doing well! 

I just wanted to jump in here to let you know that there are currently some clock faces available for download which will stay on! Check the following:

• Mionic
  • Ambient
  • Nothing Special

With these clock faces the screen will stay on. Feel free to download them at the Fitbit App Gallery to try them out.

Hope this helps. See you around! Smiley Very Happy

Eddrie
First Steps

Hi, 

Any chance that this feature will be considered for the Fitbit Alta HR?

Amy33
Premium User
Jogger

You can use the Chronograph on the Ionic, Blaze, and Versa. It has a play button in the lower right-hand corner that will start a stopwatch and remain on for you.  It was first released with the Blaze and this Blog article https://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-blaze-update-4/ will describe the clock face and how it works.

Camille1103
First Steps

I've seen and used chronograph before. When you're trying to track someone's respirations and get interrupted or they start talking more than a few times, I don't find it ideal, but to each their own. 

A_AVL
Runner

I think having it as an option is a very good one.  If it is decided to do it, It should be stated what that will do to the battery life.

My opinion is based not on my needs personally, but I know a few EMT's and Nurses who would love to have a FB, but won't because they already have to have a watch.  It seems like it would be a fairly simple piece of code to write an <if/than> function.  If yes, skip screen close to line xyz, if null, go to next line.

Mcourchesne
Jogger

I would love an always on feature for the fitbit alta, I cant bring my fitbit to work anyways so having to charge it more often is not an issue.

eliprimil
First Steps

I love my Alta HR, but need to be able to see the time constantly for emergencies at my job. Having the option to always have the display on would be great, but for now I'm either not wearing my Fitbit to work, or wearing both (not a good or comfortable look)

sarah_lin8
Hill Runner

Can we have the clock always displayed? I've noticed that the only way to see the time is by the home screen but it's watch... A watch's main purpose is to tell time. Like when your swiping thro the apps, what if you need to know the time? Or using an app? I was thinking maybe having the time in the center at the top of the screen like a phone kind of does so we can always know the time and battery if that's possible. Thanks!

iwjev
First Steps

There is a option on the app to have the watch always on so that should work for you but i would like to be able to see that feature added to the watch face. that way you can have it turn off most of the time to save battery life but when you are at work or in the gym you could set it to always on or to stay on for a longer/certain duration. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

SeverslSof the a soluble clock faces already hsve this option. 

RhiC
First Steps

As a nursing student we have to take pulses for 1 minute. I really want to be able to wear my Fitbit while in school and use it as a tool, but right now my screen shuts off before a minute. Please help! (I have the Blaze)

Lastchance618
Keeping Pace

Maybe a new simplified watch face that is dim but always on would be great. Loving New Ionic but the flick is clunky   Also love the super bright display but maybe a watch face that is preset to dim all the time and brightens on flick.  

Lastchance618
Keeping Pace

Maybe a new clock face app can be developed that gets the hardware to act like epaper utilizing only a minimal amount of backlight to keep display on then a flick for more power?   Not a app developer here—just a thought?   

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

There are already several clocks for the Ionic that have the option for always on. 

Also Fitbit has the chronograph watch with its quick start always on stopwatch. 

ARCwell86
Jogger

@Rich_Laue,

I like the watch face that I am am using and don't want to use a face that I don't like when a potental solution is within reach. Always on burns battery and going to the settings each time is not convenient. Same issue for stopwatch.

I'm usually multitasking and an option to just rotate my wrist and have it stay on 10 seconds longer would be more convenient for me, so I can focus on patient care.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@ARCwell86 sorry that ypiy feel my comment was directed at you even though you hadn't previously posted .. 

As for the Ionic it now has a variable display setting that allows the screen stay on for up to 30 seconds .or 20 seconds longer .

sarah_lin8
Hill Runner

Great idea although there is already a thread you can click here, it's under consideration!😊

Sorry, I don't know how to merge an idea!😬

Want Spotify for Versa? Click Here to Vote!

Click Here to Vote for Low Power Mode!

rockintheblaze
Base Runner

I work as a courier and I come from Garmin. Well the one thing that drives me crazy about the Fitbit is that the display is not always on.

I need to see the time .. it is a watch after all. I do not care about the batter .. I can charge it but give us the option of having the clock display always on.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.