Low power mode for all Fitbit devices

Fitbit please add a low power mode think about it it will save users more battery so you don’t have too charge it more this will be a good feature also please add the ablity to change Fitbit trackers brightness.

thanks and remmber to be cool and be happy.😀

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

40 Comments
V_deso
Jogger

Hi - I have used my Ionic a lot and it uses quite a bit of juice making the battery life span short. The most I've had the watch last is 4.5 days, not moving much during the day and the battery significantly decreases using your heart rate. 

Making a 'low power mode' or 'battery saver mode' would probably turn of certain functions such as auto functions and bluetooth. Just something to put out there for those heavy fitness people. 

Harboe
Runner

I think that's a great idea. I would love to be able to set it to some kind of low power when for example traveling, where it just tracks steps and sleep. 🙂

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

sarah_lin8
Hill Runner

I don't know much about Androids but I know iPhones have the option of Low Power Mode which is when you turn it on, it saves your battery by lowering the time when the screen stays on, sometimes dims the screen and it stops fetching any emails or for this case any notifications or GPS or anything like that. Would love to see this as a feature on the Versa:)

MaginB
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing your suggestion. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

WavyDavey
10K Racer

Low power mode on my android phone is a little different. What it does is set a trigger, so that when the battery life hits a certain number (say 15%), it will begin to disable services that I've defined such as email fetching or notifications to keep the device from having to power off.

Personally, I would prefer the mode came on automatically, like my phone. If it were a manual setting, I would forget if it was on or not too often.

But definitely, I agree that there could be use for a mode that helps increase battery life at the cost of not having some of the services available.

Kilt
Recovery Runner

Also have it kill all antennae signals (wifi / bluetooth / NFC)

suezee08
Jogger

How do I check the status of my Versa order?

dio22
Recovery Runner

you can have a clock face with an option to remain always on. DIN time for example can be activated to remain on all the time

SolidCake90
Jogger

A low power mode would be nice.  That way I could still have a functioning watch once the power drops below a certain percentage (perhaps this could be user-defined?), even if that means notifications and such have to be disabled. 

steveb944
Recovery Runner

I think an airplane mode would go further, since the radios and syncing are what kills the most. Especially since we can already control screen wake, screen timeout is already short, and the gyro is pretty accurate.

Similar to Wear OS. Once I go airplane mode the battery life at least doubles.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

yes please!

pregnola
First Steps

I am also in favor of a low energy consumption mode.
Thank you.
Marco from Italy

sorry for my english 🙂

Germanni
Stepping Up

Feel free to turn on the Low Power mode at night once that sleep is detected. Would at least work with the Charge 2, don't know about others.

- Disable sync until its requested in the app on the phone

- Dim the screen (nobody needs it that bright at night anyways!) for the few cases it turns on

- Turn off GPS (you're not gonna go for a run)..

Offer the option to automatically disable the Low-Power mode in the morning when the user wakes up.

Cheers!

jmcamara
Recovery Runner

Low power should be considered in our opinion in two ways. One should be for the cases you take off your Versa and leave it on the table, for example if you don´t want to wear it during a sleep. Another case should be when you wear it during the night, in that case all the radios should be turn off automatically. In this last case it doesn´t make sense to sync with the phone until the morning or until you tap twice (for example) on the Versa.

Good luck

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your idea with everyone! 

Let's see what other users think.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks everyone as a developer I’m extremely happy and hope for Fitbit to add this

ashwolve
Interval Runner

Great idea - and I like the suggestions of it being automatic so in sunlight its stays bright enough to see but will adjust to the lighting conditions so if it comes on at night or you knock your device while asleep it only comes on dim so as not to wake you if it wasn't meant to be operated, or a 3 switch mode for bright , normal, dim - this will only count for a small percentage though as mentioned by some other users (my interpretation) a low power or battery saver mode would probable have to stop certain activities especially on the newer models (in fact exactly what @Germanni mentioned lol

qbron
Jogger

The low power mode seems wonderful as I don't wear it too often to bed. I always have to cover it up at night as the lights on the back of the FitBit Charge2 stay lit. Maybe there is a way to turn these off and on???

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@qbron there is a way to turn them of but at the moment it will mean that there is no heart rate tracking therefore no sleep stages - you would have to manually log sleep and you would not get a representation on you sleep stages - if you still decide to turn them off go to settings>device>heart rate> Off (from the choices On Auto or off) and then sync - if you tighten the strap by a notch this may also help it stay snug and the lights may not effect you as much

qbron
Jogger
Thank you for your help! Most nights I take my FitBit off for the night, but the lights stay on so I have to put something over my FitBit so that the lights on my dresser don’t bother me all night. I also figured that it wasted battery power (?). I will try your suggestion and thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Much appreciated!! 😊 Bron

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
ashwolve
Interval Runner

You quite welcome - if you are taking the device off and the lights remain you may have heart rate set to on you can try and change it to auto that way as soon as it does not detect anything it should shut itself down - I find auto is the best all round as you get the best of both

Kind Regards

Wayne

Cam125
Recovery Runner

This is exactly what is stopping me from using my fitbit versa.

I was disappointed to learn that bluetooth cannot be turned off.

I travel a lot and to have the battery die every 3 days is a pain in the butt.

Low power mode would be a fantastic addition. Bluetooth and other non essential features should be able to be toggled on and off.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi cam125 I want Fitbit to ad this feature and let’s get Fitbit attention if Fitbit dosent add this feature I will make a app to disable Bluetooth and battery saver app and thanks for the comment😀

Cam125
Recovery Runner

Hi Andrewfitness,

That sounds fantastic, I have had a quick look through the SDK and can't seem to find where the bluetooth is called from in the API. I assume that value is listed in there somewhere and would be a simple toggle. I'm no programmer though.

I have also been campaigning with a bunch of other people too in This thread

Fitbit officials have mostly ignored them though, after the initial marking by a moderator.

Cheers for the heads up

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.