Make Ionic and Versa screen stay on longer to read notifications

Hi, received the Ionic today and love it. One suggestion, I received numerous notifications while at work this afternoon and when the Ionic vibrated for an incoming notification I would raise my wrist to activate the screen and would have to swipe up to see the notification. It would be nice if the incoming notification caused the screen to turn on automatically and stay on for at least 5 seconds so reading the notification was completely hands-free. Thank you.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity/Added Labels

175 Comments
Jogger

In a future software update why not have notifications auto-show so that when one comes through from your phone and the Alta vibrates to let you know, you don't have to tap on the device to get it to display.

Moderator edit: Update subject for clarity and added labels 

Jogger
Include an option to display all notifications without agitating the Alta.
First Steps

I was surprised to find that I need to press a button to see the notification on my new Fitbit Blaze whenever a notification arrives. The device does vibrate letting me know that something came. A continous vibration means a phone call, and single vibration means a text or a calendar notification. I contacted Fitbit Customer Support thinking that my device has some issue with notification and found out that this is expected behaviour. Even the Charge, Charge HR and Surge do not need a button click to look at the notification. I think I should be able to look at a notification just by raising my wrist and then decide to take appropriate action. Using my other hand to click a button to see the notification is equivalent to taking my phone out of my pocket and looking at the notification.

Recovery Runner
Three things

PLEASE get better bands. The clasps are too tight. It's difficult to get the prongs in

The "tapping" needs to be more sensitive. It's difficult to get the device to respond.

And last the writing display needs to last longer. It only lasts about 3 seconds and then disappears. By the time I look down from it vibrating the notification is gone.
Jogger

My new Alta is very insensitive to tapping on the screen. I tried tapping on the side and sometimes it works and sometimes it takes 3-8 taps. And yes, the notifications last a second or two which means I do not have time to even look at them. I called Fitbit and they said they would send me a replacement but after waiting on line for 15 minutes while they arranged it, I gave up. I will return it to the store where I bought it. 

Jogger

The Blaze should have an option to automatically display notifications on the screen as well as options for how long to keep them visible - 1s, 5s, 10s, until dismissed, until ringing stops, etc. I understand battery life is a highly competitive issue among fitness watches so feel free to "dim after x seconds" or whatever, just let me keep it visible...

I've had my Blaze for two days now and I can't honestly say if it displays notifications on the screen when they come in or if they are just so quick that I miss them. The one feature of my Charge that was a real help at work was the ability to see who was calling me while I was in a meeting - I felt the vibration and could casually look at my Charge. Now if I feel the vibration on the Blaze (which is lighter than the Charge), I have to push the button to see the notification - not so helpful.

Recovery Runner

This would also be great on the Alta.  I sometimes tap too much and miss the message and can't get back to it.  Would be nice to have the message available in the tap sequence for a couple of mins and then have it disappear

Keeping Pace

Keep the LATEST notification in the Alta, so you can recall anytime.

Sometime you are busy and can not see the notification untill few minutes later.

This will not cost the Alta anymore memory.

#

The current Alta only show the notification in one minute and delete it.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator

This can save us some time so we don't have to tap the tracker or move our wrist to see the notification. Smiley Wink

First Steps
Please automatic show up nortification sms/ call coming without taping on screen or swrist the hand, sometime my hand's busy.
I think it'll be better if it coud do like this.
First Steps
Yes please automatically show the notifications call or text without having to tap or quick view. This is ridiculous! On my charge I didn't have to tap to see calls
First Steps
Please automatically show notifications call or text without tapping or quick view. I didn't have to do this on my Charge. This is supposed to be a new model and it has less features. Someone should be able to just look at the screen when it vibrates and see whose calling or texting also the screen is very hard to tap to ulimanate
Jogger

It is nice to have  Turn on backlight during either notifications or received calls

Recovery Runner
Agree longer, visible notification without tapping would solve two issues and make Alta more user friendly and competitive with other brands.
First Steps

Please make the notifications automatically show on the Fitbit Blaze.  When I had my Charge HR, it would automatically scroll across the screen and vibrate.  I like the Blaze with the exception that you have to press the button or tap the screen to see the call/text notifications.  It would be SO much easier to just glance at it.

Jogger

I could not agree more!! The whole needing to tap is insane! Especially when a call is coming through, it starts to vibrate a lot and I really shouldn't need to tap a bunch of times to get it to display the caller ID.

Please fix this problem and having the ability to see the recent notifications. Both of these features are in the Garmin Vivismart and make that watch so much more superior. I am trying the Atla out, but until these are fixed - the Garmin Vivosmart was designed so much better in terms of Smart Notifications.

Jogger

Yes please, matches my request too. Gets my Vote.

@mfreema5 wrote:

In a future software update why not have notifications auto-show so that when one comes through from your phone and the Alta vibrates to let you know, you don't have to tap on the device to get it to display.

Moderator edit: Update subject for clarity and added labels 

First Steps

YES!!!! I just went from the Charge to Alta and I LOVE the Alta EXCEPT that the notifications don't pop up like they do on the Charge Smiley Sad

Recovery Runner

Same here. From Charge to Alta, and love it, but tapping in order to see who is calling kills me. Specially when im riding my bike, and i can not take my hands off of the handlebar. At least an option to activate that WITHOUT having to active Quick View (which is a battery killer) would be nice.

Community Legend

Of course the problem is that the user will only have 10 seconds to read the message. On the Blaze this won't be a problem since the notifications are being stored and you can then lift your arm up to review it, but with the other tracker a the beginning of the massage could easily be lost requiring the user to pull out their phone. I

Jogger

I like to rock climb as well as many other sports that require the use of my hands (including drinking). The tilt the wrist thing is spotty for me so it.would be extremely nice to have an option to enable the screen to light up automatically when I get a text. 

First Steps

I've used the Chrage HR for over a year and loved it. One of the features I liked was being able to automatically view the caller ID even when the "quick view" setting was off. It seems that feature is missing from the new Charge 2. I know I can view the notification if I press the button while it is vibrating, but the previous feature was much more convenient. Please reimplement this feature in the next software update. 

Jogger

I agree!  Some of the features I loved best in the Charge HR are now gone.  This a big one.  I don't want to retrieve my phone if I know it's a sales call. Sometimes the other hand isn't available to press the button. 

Jogger

PLEASE PLEASE bring the option to automatically display caller on charge 2. This is a backward step from charge HR.

I also had had a charge hr and the auto visual notification was great

Fitbit software developers PLEASE give us an option to display caller without quick view or button pressing

thanks
Paul

First Steps

I agree! This is what has actually just stopped me buying the Charge 2 today. I have the Charge HR and have been looking at reviews for the 2. I did a google search to see how many times the call notification vibrates (which I haven't found an answer for yet) and came across this thread about the screen not illuminating when calls or texts come in. What's the point in that?! If it's a notification it should light up the screen so you can see it as well as feel it. I am also concerned that the vibration is not as strong on the 2 - I am a deep sleeper and rely on my HR to wake me up. So these points have definitely deterred me from upgrading my HR to the Charge 2. I hope they will be addressed soon as I'd love to buy one!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.