Make metric system the default option for all measurements

There are a couple of threads suggesting the metric version of grams for this and kilojoules for that. Let's propose that ALL measurements on all devices be factory set to the metric system. That way, the rest of the world will be happy they bought the device and Americans will need to learn metric (or at least learn how to change the settings into their imperial system). Who knows? They might actually be happier using metric. The arguments for metric were over more than a century ago. The Fitbit team not adding this feature - even as an option if not default - is surreal if not an act of American imperialism (pardon the pun). I do know that widespread implementation of metric in the US has been proposed and rejected due to the massive cost but changing the code to add this feature on a Fitbit device will open your market and welcome the rest of the world - and it won't cost you much. The goodwill in that is not to be misunderestimated (to quote Bush Jnr). Even the free UnderArmour app MapMyRun for iOS has a kilojoule option on it! The kilojoule thread in this forum has been going since 2014. Can we please fix this problem, already? Yes, we can. The only other thing we can suspect is that Fitbit has given up in the fitness monitor market and is just biding time while it finds a buyer for its business. When so many customers have commented so passionately, I can't imagine a switched-on and motivated company would not act immediately. But 4 years later, still without an explanation, I don't see how it could be anything else.

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity 

14 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @Handrie. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

St.Leo
First Steps

No, you can already change the measurement type easily.  Why would you downgrade shop you can no longer select unit of measures?  It is not just the American people everything we do on a daily basis purchasing drinks ordering food is all the American system why would you change it to specifically alienate an entire country?  That is ludicrous.

Jake75
First Steps

There needs to be a metric conversion for all units. The fact that kilojoules is not supported is increadilby disappointing as a simple ~ 4:1 conversion of kilojoules : calories shouldn’t be too difficult. The fact that this was raised in the threads in 2013 is worrying. When you go into any shop to buy food in Australia the kilojoules is posted next to each menu option. Not convenient to have to do a manual conversion first. Especially for my 9 year old who we are trying to teach about food and energy along with his sport requirements. Simple fix Fitbit!!

bobba84
Jogger

There have been various requests for this for years, including posts with over 700 votes!

Australia uses Kilojoules! If you are going to sell your products here, please support the local measurements.

Get your act together please!

palbion
Recovery Runner

Unbelievably the thread asking for kilojoules as an optional measure for energy in food has been locked off and there is no plan to implement such a feature.

Please reconsider your attitude of neglect toward most of the world. The conversion is simple and could be implemented by a competent programmer in minimal time. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @palbion, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on the Fitbit App. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Lhz
Jogger

Workout details should be in metric if metric is chosen in the profile. It only makes sense that the appropriate measurement system matches the one noted. 

AlexOz
First Steps

Oh wow - just bought my first FitBit only to find that you can select metric measurements for everything BUT units of energy? What the? Seriously FitBit - do you not realise you are a company with global reach? Please include kilojoules to measure units of energy as an option in your app settings. If not, please have the courtesy to explain to your customers why you choose not to - the standard reply "Not currently planned" for the last 4 years kind of reeks of arrogance. You are better than that.

Jake75
First Steps

This seems to go nowhere with Fitbit!!!

bobba84
Jogger

Trust me - we've all tried. They are intent on relying on their US-centric arrogance.

bobba84
Jogger

Fitbit - I challenge you to come up with an acceptable reason why this has been ignored for 4 years.

Jake75
First Steps

Apple iWatch - Calories and kilojoules 

Garmin - Calories and kilojoules (issues)

it it seems for all the smarts multiplying by 4.184 is too difficult.

bobba84
Jogger

Well? Anybody willing to step up and explain this shortfall?

auhsor
First Steps

It seems that allowing kilojoules is a bit of a no brainier. This is a simple fix and would help those in countries that have kilojoules as their regular unit of energy.

If we go to a restaurant or cafe in Australia, they are required by law to show the kilojoules of the meal. eg: 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.