More Notifications

Hello Fitbit Team!

after a message of one of you moderator i have decided to make that topic.

I really like you products but the people using an IOS device really need more notifications!

So please give us more! 😃

Notificions i would recommend:

Whats App

Facebook 

and more messaging apps

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels.

562 Comments
zaki67
Jogger

SMS is hardly used any more ,I think the surge should be able to notify about various e mail and instant messaging program through the notification center in the device where the user can choose which notifications are forwarded to the Surge.

dmaccarn
First Steps

Please have Surge support notifications from all apps on iOS.  If it's set to notify you in the iOS settings it should be passed to Surge.

I'm missing my meds reminders.

Thanks

Moderator edit: Added labels and edited title for clarification

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

With notificaitons for any smartphone going way beyond just Calls & Texts, the Surge would be the perfect (and only) "watch" I need if it would display notificaitons from any app supported by iOS or Android (and of course Blackberry).  

Please update the watch to support any notification.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

zantho
Recovery Runner
Agreed. Major reason I returned my surge is because calls and SMS only account for less than 5% of the notifications I receive and interested in.
DizzyThermal
First Steps

Agreed.

Google Voice users (using SMS/MMS through hangouts) will not get notifications.

Users should be able to whitelist applications to receive notifications for.

Android lets you read notifications between applications, Fitbit just has to request that users allow the "Fitbit" application to have Notification Access..

Come on devs!

gaiusbaltar
Jogger
I don't want any notifications. I'm considering returning the surge because I can't turn off the annoying text messages. I don't want to be bothered.
Malcolm2015
Base Runner

I support this sugestion.

As a BlackBerry 10 user, I would appreciate a native BlackBerry 10 app so I can actually sync my Fitbit device without a lot of fiddling around. The Android app is "ok" but doesn't allow call notifications on my BlackBerry Passport and there's an annoying dialog box that opens up every time you try to sync.

Panopticon
First Steps

I also use Google Voice to receive all of my text messages and calls, so the Surge really doesn't notify me about anything.

sdbelle10
Tempo Runner

@gaiusbaltar you can turn notifications off. As for the rest of us who want these extra notifications, I hope we get them! My friends and I don't use SMS at all...only kik and stuff. 

Evildoer
Recovery Runner

exactly...I just cancel my order of Surge and getting the Charge HR instead because I don't even use SMS...

Beerbikegirl
Recovery Runner

@sdbelle10 Yes, in theory you can turn off notifications on the Surge. However looks like @gaiusbaltar has found the same thing I've found - the turn off feature doe not work. Mine shows it off on the watch and in the app. Yet unless I turn off the bluetooth on my phone, notifcations still push

BockBock
Stepping Up
+1 for full notifications with IOS 8. I returned a Microsoft Band due to Battery life and being uncomfortable. However, the notifications on the Band were awesome. Surge needs this feature to be a "Super Watch"
Snille
Stepping Up

Hi all!

I have been using the Fitbit Surge for about a week now. I really like it. However, I am missing the notification-inegration (in to Android). I would like to see a way for the Surge to connect (either throu the Fitbit App or directly) to the Android Notification system. Thereby be able to select what apps and functions that can send (And recive!) notifications to/from the Fitbit Surge.

More information here: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html

And here: http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/notifications.html

egorian
Jogger

For Fitbit Surge, It would be great to have Email and Whatsapp notifications:

- Icon on the Clock Display to indicate pending whatsapp/pending email. (Very desirable)

- Email/Whatsapp Sender ID (Desirable)

- Email/Whatsapp Text/Abstract (It would be nice but not completely necessary)

For call notifications:

- Let user to configure number of vibrations, sometimes if i'm busy or distracted one vibration is not enough to get my attention.

- Let user to configure the number of seconds to show the Caller ID banner.

For all notifications:

- Make it more reliable.   I have been testing notifications on IOS8 (iPhone 5s) and Lollipop (Nexus 5) and notifications are not completely reliable.

I know that one or more of these request could impact on battery performance but some users like me are willing to sacrify some battery to enable this features.  And if these features will be implemented in a user-configurable way will be completly opt to the user to have more feautures sacrifying battery life.

Thanks.

oilerssuck
Jogger

agreed, switching from an android wear device, to the surge, Im missing out on the majority of message notifications I get, as they arnt SMS. (whatsapp, FB messenger, twitter etc) 

chaaaa
Stepping Up

Great idea. Have the option to choose which notifications are displayed as well. Eg. Call only, call, text, whatsapp, etc. 

tchrea
Jogger

Love the Surge for all the new upgrade fitness tracking info, best in the industry by far.

However, the lack of smart phone push notifications is really sad.  The pebble for $109 does way more for notification.

Suggest adding a software update to receive whatsapp, facebook, email, twitter, etc... notifications. People dont just text anymore.

Mazerati
Jogger

Can it be considered to have Surge notifications for Text Messages, and call notifications for Windows Phone 8.1.

Its a shame the blurb for the Surge Product, says it will do this, buit buried in your website It indicates these features are not supported - and I hope that is only temporary.

These important facts should be shown in the spec of the product.

Not such a Super Watch I'm sorry to say

Trumani
Recovery Runner

given another band does it already (vivosmart), I don't think it's too difficult to implement.  From what I read, vivosmart automatically turns on all alerts and the way to turn off the alerts specifically to the phone isn't the easiest, but I'm sure the fitbit folks have the right software engineers to make this work.  I don't even think it's that hard to implement on the charge, which is the device I have.

seh1
First Steps

I'd love to see more notification possibilities as well, but I'd also want the ability to select which type of notifications were pushed to the Surge.

Torkilo
First Steps
Hi. I really loved if the charge hr colud show Who sendt a message or email or Even a app notifications like Facebook and Twitter
tchrea
Jogger

Totally agree, it cant be that hard because it is all software bluetooth driven.  The pebble for $109 gives me all the push notifications.  

Opivali
Jogger
Only if we can pick and choose which ones. I do not want nor need more than
text and calls.

Michael D. Kester (U.S.N. Ret.)
vadermanion
First Steps

+1 on iOS notifications

Opivali
Jogger
Not without a way to say which ones I want or don't want and when I want or
don't want them. I like it with just call and text alerts.

Michael D. Kester (U.S.N. Ret.)
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.