More Sleep Sensitivity Options

Several of your users are requesting that the sleep sensitivity options be increased to at least three. Now we have Normal and Sensitive, but some users are downloading the information and using an average of the two to essentially have a setting between Normal and Sensitive. 

I suggest either adding another setting sensitivity or emulating the idea of averaging the two in a software solution.

Thank you!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

21 Comments
AussieFB
Recovery Runner

Yes please....great idea!

WalkerFl
Stepping Up

The new format does not allow switching between normal and sensitive on a daily basis.  I keep a pad by my bed and track wake time.  A third mode between normal and sensitive would be a help; but, at the very least, let us go back to the availability of both on a daily basis for review purposes.

StonyK
First Steps

Definitely need a third option...it's almost like Goldilocks the normal setting only records half of my restless sleep and the sensitive setting records if I move at all.  An in between setting would be perfect.

KiHan
First Steps

I am also experiencing similar dilema as expressed by numerous others: the sensitivity is TOO low for "Normal" setting; and TOO high for "Sensitive" setting.  Something in between is a good start - but, how about some sort of Scale from 1-10??  We are in a world where Smart Phones are getting smarter - seems like a sliding scale would not be too complicated to whip up...

On a side note, for now - I'm going to attempt at "thinking outside the box" by using what is available to me for the moment...  I will assign my sensitivity to be "Sensitive" - which is TOO sensitive - BUT, I will attach my FitBit to a head-band; and instead of leaving the FitBit on my wrist.. it will be attached to a more stationary, head.

I know - this sounds odd and comical - but in my mind, i figure that my head is NOT moving as much - end result - tracking my movements somewhere in between the Normal mode verses the extra Sensitive mode - accomplished.!

I'll try this for a month or 2; and report back.

PSY_Lude
First Steps

In normal mode it seems I'm not getting enough sleep or data, in sensitive mode I seem to only sleep 2 hours with the rest as restless, can the brilliant devs please add a moderate setting?

Thank you. 

PS I love my Blaze wonderful piece of tech that's changed my life!

The data was accepted as important by my doctor and it would be great to have an intermediate setting to share those results.

WalkerFl
Stepping Up

I also use my sleep info with my doctor.  I've had some back and forth with Fitbit and decided to switch my sleep collection to a Charge 2.  I understand that it uses heart rate as well as movement to give a more accurate sleep picture.  My Charge 2 arrives today.  I'll let you know.

Jake72
Stepping Up

I fully agree the third setting needs to added as a "firm-ware" update as it can't be that difficult of a thing to do.  It gets done ALL the time to our cell/smart phones, so this should be just as easy.

BadCat
Jogger

I was coming here to ask for this very feature! If I set my FitBit to normal, the sleep reports all congratulate me on my excellent sleep (which I most certainly did not have). If I set it to Sensitive, my lack of sleep is over-reported (and connected apps bark at me and say I'm going to die...).

I'm not sure how you coded the normal/sensitive detection, but I would think you could slip in a third option by averaging the other values:

• Normal: 8 hours
  • Sensitive: 4 hours
  • Moderate: 6 hours (normal + sensitive/2)
HeavyTeacher
First Steps

I agree that a 3rd setting would be great. Be careful, though, not to simply find the 'average' because I think dats is skewed heavily to the sensitive setting. Thanks for listening and giving the chance to improve a great product (Charge 2 in particular).

Simon.A
First Steps

Yes, please develop a 3rd (moderate) sleep sensitivity option. The normal setting states I sleep well (6-8 hrs), and the sensitive setting states I don't sleep much at all (2-4 hrs). It believe a more realistic indicator of whats happening at night would be useful/beneficial. The sensitive setting reports are making me a little paranoid, although I feel ok. But we humans can adapt to most anything (even lack of sleep) and real data would allow us to make smarter decisions. Anyway, thats my vote. I say, yes, please.

TravelinBelieve
Recovery Runner

I also would like a 3rd sleep sensitivity option.

galaga6846
Runner

I concur! On the normal sleep setting, it doesn't register if I tossed and turned and sat up awake for most of the night. On the sensitive setting, I could be dreaming away and it says that I was awake at that time. It doesn't give an accurate picture. I have also noticed that some nights on the sensitive setting it will register sleep when I'm laying still, awake, and my mind is racing. 

WalkerFl
Stepping Up

There is hope for more accurate sleep info.  I have some sleep issues which I discuss periodically with my doc.  I need reasonably accurate data.  I was using a Fitbit One which was not ok.  I researched the vast variety of sleep trakers out there and found that Fitbit was the only company that put the collected data on the Internet so I could "cut and paste" records for my doc. I started using a Charge 2 at night on July 14.  I keep a note pad on my nightstand and log my start and end sleep times.  Every morning I pull up the Fitbit sleep info on my iPhone and occasionally delete the entry, if totally wrong.  then I re-enter start and stop times.  Normally I just edit the info and adjust the start-stop times.  Since I started, I have had 5 mornings without accurate data and that was probably because I didn't have the Charge 2 tight enough or some other error that I made.  I now find the sleep info incredibly accurate.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@Rkasparek Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Can you share more details on how this new sleep setting would be? Currently, Fitbit released Sleep Stages which show some important and specific sleep data. Keen to hear what others think?

Jake72
Stepping Up
This doesn't apply to non heart rate tracking ones, ie Fit bit One.  How can this be done on these models?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
BadCat
Jogger

I use a FitBit One, so the heart tracking would not apply to me (though I totally would understand if you wanted to limit development to newer models).

WalkerFl
Stepping Up
@Rkasparek,

Hi, I'm not with Fitbit, so I can't really answer any questions about where
they're going with changes to sensitivity. I'm just a user who started with
a Fitbit One and realized that I needed better sleep info, so I moved to a
Charge 2. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about how I use
mine. As many of us have mentioned, a middle ground between normal and
sensitive would be great. My biggest problem is: if I get up during the
night and am not in constant motion, my Charge 2 will think I'm asleep.

WalkerFl

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
CiaraMc
First Steps

I agree! Third option for sleep tracking required 😊

SAShirl
Stepping Up

Defiitely agree to need for an intermediate setting. On normal, I,sleep,a healthy 7-8 hours a night which is not true. Sometimes it doesnt even record my getting up during the night. On sensitive I often only get 4-5 hours a night. I look forward to your much-needed upgrade. Thank you for listening and caring.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Rkasparek and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQsFor now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.