More in-depth sleep data analysis (eg impact of activity or HR on sleep)

Hi everyone!!!

Dear Fitbit,

it would be really nice if you could implement more functional sleep analysis. I ask/suggest/offer you to have a look at really interesting app (Sleep Cycle).  Sleep cycleSleep cycle

I am sure that a lot of Fitbit users would appreciate this kind of sleep information. Here you can see some examples but there is much more in it. 

1 2 34 I am sure this kind of functionality would bring you more customers and more fun to Fitbit users. Thank you!!!

PS. I am really surprised you have not done it yet

Moderator Edit: Edited labels and Clarified subject

247 Comments
ChrisRile
Recovery Runner

In the premium section, in the sleep reports, the 7 day graph comparison could be tweaked a little to be more useful. 

2014-04-28_21-23-35.jpg

The horizontal axis (time) automatically scales to the start and stop time of each day's sleep period. That means that no visual, vertical, multi-day comparisons can be made for things like bedtime and wake up time. No vertical, multi-day comparisons can be made for awakenings. I can't easily see if I'm waking up at the same time each night, etc. I think if the far left for each graph was the EARLIEST time that one goes to sleep, and the far right was the latest time that one wakes up, a lot more useful comparison will be visually apparent. All times should be scaled the same up and down, and non-sleep time on each day, the blank space, could be filled in gray. 

For those that go to bed and wake up at the same time, this works great, as-is, but they probably don't need the feature. For others; multi-nappers, and rotating shift workers, this doesn't work, nor will my suggestions help much. But for those who can benefit from this info most easily: those that can go to bed and wake up at optimal times, and those that can make changes in the house (temp, lighting, dog accomodations, etc.) to reduce inadvertant awakenings, the feature I have suggested will increase the ability of this report to provide helpful insight.

Thanks for listening.

mdj1983
Jogger

I absolutely agree with your suggestions!!!  I don't go to bed at the same time every day, so these changes would be very helpful.

JoshuaHupp
Jogger

I agree too! I sleep twice a day and it only tracks the last entry.

Starkman78
Base Runner

Great idea! One of the best suggestions for improved sleep features that I have seen so far!

Monica
Jogger

Jumping on board with another 'I agree'. I occassionally copy/paste and print a bunch of nights so I can overlay the images and have the times line up. Dealing with a sleep disorder with a teenage daughter so important to see if the things we are trying are working. 

MBdoug
Recovery Runner
Take a look at another app Sleep Time. It has a great display for sleep by week and month. Plus you can compare Fitbit to sleep time for sleep accuracy.
Gigi3gkids
Stepping Up

I agree, but wonder if what's being described is what you get when you click on the sleep tile on the dashboard (below).  It is very useful, and this should be available in Premium, but Premium should also, in my opinion, give you the option to do this over more than 7 days -- in fact, any period you specify.  In fact, the pre-defined 7 day period in the existing graph was the main reason I didn't buy Premium after the brief trial period.  We should be able to slice and dice that data in any number of ways in order to analyze it (if we are paying for premium).

sleep.PNG

Kamereone
Jogger

Axis scales is my biggest peeve against FitBit.  The same scenario happens with steps, floors, and calories - the scale changes every day! 

Stop skewing my data just so it looks pretty!  I'd much rather have to "zoom" for more detail and to be able to see the full picture than the headache I have now 😞

jmruz19
First Steps

Another idea along this thread - you have these sleep charts that shows "Total Sleep Time" over past 30 days.  THe chart is a bar graph, with one bar per day.  It would be really cool to include a line graph on the same chart that shows a rolling 7-day (14-day?  30-day?) average.  KInd of like a stock chart.  If you are able to include 7-day and 30-day lines - along with the daily bars - I can use the info to tell me:

1. How did last night's sleep compare to my average over the past week (and month)
  2. Is my average sleep over the past 7-days improving or degrading vs. my sleep pattern over the past month.

Thank you 

stessytesta
First Steps

The Charge HR has the ability to combine movement with heart rate to come up with a very accurate sleep cycle analysis (including REM sleep).  The Basis company is now claiming to do this with no more technology than in the Charge HR, and I trust Fitbit technology and quality more than Basis. I know that this analysis would not be as accurate as using brain waves, but it would be a great deal better than the sleep analysis provided by movement alone. Please, at least give us the option of adding heart rate to the existing sleep chart. (I have noticed some suggestions for the silent alarm to wake us at an optimal time - which is not REM- but not any suggesting you give us the a way to track our sleep cycles. While I would appreciate both, tracking is of the utmost importance to me).

bilbothejust
Recovery Runner

That would be nice to have. Right now what I do is look at my sleep pattern and then go back on the phone and check the HR graph during the night. I've found that the lower the HR the deeper I've been sleeping, but it would certainly be nice to have in one spot...on the other hand I'm not sure what good this information is for anyway.

If you don't sleep well how will a graph or any information help you sleep better. I've seen how other products tout their ability to detect REM sleep. Well, that's great but what am I going to do with that? I'm not being a wisea$$, I really don't know. I'm in on your idea though.

stessytesta
First Steps
The three most important factors in our health are nutrition, exercise, and
sleep - the more we know about these three factors and how they affect our
lives the better. (For more info about this, I highly recommend The Great
Courses lectures titled The Secrets of Sleep Science.) If I have in-depth
information about my sleep cycle I can compare that to changes in my habits
and see how those habits affect the quality of my sleep. The better quality
my sleep is, the healthier I can be. I personally have health issues that
make it even more important for me to track these three factors, so to have
one tool through which I could track all three would be highly beneficial.
Michael
5K Racer

Please expand the dashboard reporting for sleep to include the HR data if you have a Charge HR or Surge.

It would be great if the sleep graph could be overlaid with a HR graph, and if you could change which one was in front/focus so you can see what your heart rate was doing when you were restless.

Moderator Edit: Added labels.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like this too. Not just for HR and Sleep, but for others too. HR overlay with steps, calories, etc.

waitrewindthat
Stepping Up

This is a must. I was kind of disappointed to find out that it doesn't have this feature already.

coldfact
Recovery Runner

With all the data the Surge is collecting during sleep, the sleep analysis really is very limited.

I am sure Firtbit could implement many of the same features of these two competitors:

http://www.mybasis.com/blog/2014/01/advanced-sleep-analysis-health-tracker/

http://www.slashgear.com/resmed-s-sleep-monitor-review-nightstand-ninja-30360546/

The tech is in place - but Fitbit needs to vastly improve the app and dashboard for their sleep monitoring to match Basis or Resmed.

Michael
5K Racer

I agree!

jwells54
Recovery Runner

Thanks for letting me know!!  I didn't know exactly what to search, but I think having the ability to open two widgets at once (any of them) would be a great feature on its own.  But I definitely agree the HR and Sleep Monitor should be shared!!  I will add it to my suggestion... 

jeffcolorado
Jogger

I agree.

Michael
5K Racer

@jeffcolorado Don't forget to include on the thumbs up icon at the top to cast your vote for this! Thanks!

jeffcolorado
Jogger

Thanks, Michael.  Done.

stiboropoatop
Walker

I find the the dashboard sleep graph has more info because it differentiates between awake and restless. I use the sensitive setting and would like to know this info, but the graph can not be enlarged  and looked at closer. I find all the graphs to be slanted toward appearance rather then information. . I believe that is called "Style over Substance"

sjusko
Jogger

I very disappointed that Charger HR havn´t smart alarm and good sleep tracking and analysis - like a REM, NONREM. App like a Sleep Cycle, Sleep Better or fitness tracker Basis Peak have more and better analysis then Fitbit. I´m missing diary for each night too (If I have coffe, alcohol, what I doing etc).

Lorneputnam
Recovery Runner

I would like to see my sleep tracker to be more informitory maybe set up more like how it looks when i veiw a gps jog i just did, it should show the whole sleep broken down on a graph id also like to see my heart rate over the course of sleep to see if the elivations corispond with anything over the night maybe this could tell me more

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Lorneputnam
Recovery Runner
I would like to see my sleep tracker to be more informitory maybe set up more like how it looks when i veiw a gps jog i just did, it should show the whole sleep broken down on a graph id also like to see my heart rate over the course of sleep to see if the elivations corispond with anything over the night maybe this could tell me more
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.