No Notifications in Sleep or Do Not Disturb Mode

It would be nice if you had the option that when your tracker recognizes you are asleep, that notifications are disabled. That way you are not awaken in the middle of the night by a text message that could have waited until morning.

216 Comments
coldfact
Recovery Runner

Much like Apple has a configurable Do Not Disturb window, I would also like to set this for the Surge.

Simply, I do not want to get notifications between 10PM and 7AM.

The other night while sleeping I hit some kind of calorie goal before midnight, so Surge woke me up to congratulate me on this..... obviously do not want this to happen, as much as I appreciate the sentiment 🙂

layto
Stepping Up

Totally agree. I would add that if it takes too much development up front to add a full DND feature, that you at least disable "goal-achieved" vibrations when sleep is detected.

Luna6827
First Steps

Fantastic idea! I know a lot of people who work midnights and love the 'do not disturb' on their phone. This is an awesome idea! Smiley Wink

mogulman
Base Runner

I agree.  The pebble has a DND mode during certain times of day

coldfact
Recovery Runner

This has further been (independently) requested on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/comments/2ro3i8/surge_needs_to_follow_do_not_disturb_settings/

I currently am switching my phone to airplane mode to avoid SMS notifications... but this does not stop achievement alerts. Both types would be solved with a DND mode.

Are you kidding? For a company that promotes how important sleep is, they don't have a way of keeping it from accidently waking you up?

The more I research the surge, the more I back away.

brsboarder
First Steps

There should be a way to prevent text messages and phone calls from vibrating my surge based on a set time period.

Moderator edit: labels. 

jkramer7
First Steps

It's ridiculous that even if I press and hold the button to tell my Charge that I'm asleep, it'll still vibrate if I reach my calorie goal.  DND aside, if I physically tell the device that I'm asleep, then it shouldn't wake it up unless I set an alarm.

albus522
Premium User
First Steps

I would like it to simply obey the do not disturb already set on my phone.

ChrisMayhew
First Steps

I totally agree with this.

Having got my FitBit Surge today and enabled notifications i was wondering if it stops during certain hours or automatically when it detects sleep mode but Fit Bit support confirmed to me that it doesn't.

Personally I think it's a must have because it's sure to wake you if you're in a light sleep?!

mstover13
Sprinter

agreed, I have been turning off notifications every night 

infinidim
Sprinter
I completely agree.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Even just having a "Quiet Hours" setting that says don't bother me from 11pm - 8am would be helpful too.

coldfact
Recovery Runner
dragonrider
Recovery Runner

Agree. I turn my phone on silent at night but my Surge hit me with 27 buzzes at 5 in the morning when a bunch of servers went down and I got text notifications. I want the Surge to wake me with the alarm when I set it, but nothing else when I am sleeping please!

MoMovement
Jogger

It's a must have if the calorie goal should be used for anything good! I've set mine to 1700 to be sure not to be disturbed after bed time, but that's just counter productive IMO.

evilneoprincess
Tempo Runner

I would love to be able to disable alerts while asleep for the Charge HR. I silence my phone so that I am not awoken (I receive calls and texts frequently while sleeping).

AmyRNC
Keeping Pace

I think it should mirror what your phone is doing. At bedtime, I put my phone on DND, and this should work to keep notifications from reaching my surge. At the same time, if im allowing my phone to allow calls from my favorites list, even in DND mode, then the calls should come through. Definitely needs to be an added feature!

chrismichel
First Steps

I couldn't agree more - DEFINITELY needs to be following DND settings on phone!

abUser
Jogger

I completely agree.

Turning Bluetooth on and off each day/night seems very excessive.

It’s ridiculous to be inadventantky woken up by a device that knows you’re sleeping.

abUser
Jogger

Very simple solution-

opt-in automatic "do not disturb"  mode when Surge detects you're asleep.

It’s ridiculous to be inadventantky woken up by a device that knows you’re sleeping.

dsouzaj86
Recovery Runner
Posaibly ties into the Do Not Disturb feature which already exists in the iPhone settings
John1234
Recovery Runner
The Surge knows when you are sleeping. So it should have the sense to not wake you up.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I agree, there is nothing worse than being woken up by a call or text notification in the middle of the night. Thank you for sharing your idea, I'll be sure to relay it onto the team for consideration.

cblanck
First Steps

Yes, I completely agree.  I think a DND for the fitbit itself and also the ability for the fitbit to honor the DND settings on the iPhone itself.  Last night I got a pocket call from someone at 2:30 am.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.